Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

Just got this machine a few days ago, with i5 8500T, 8GB Ram and 256 Hynix M2 SSD for USD 300... I love this machine, best 300 bucks spent for a long time... Everything works... @deeveedee congrats for the OC EFI, very nice work!

It arrived this week with the extra bits I have ordered bar the wifi card and possible adapter and spare drive caddy.

HP 800 Elite Desk G4 DM 65W

i5 8500
8GB ram
1TB HD
VGA and 2 DP

Price £220

Extras

added additional WD Blue 1TB SSD M2 £69
replaced VGA for HDMI Port £21
added additional extra Hynix 8GB Ram £23
added WIFI card BCM94360NG - £36

Spent so far = £369 UK GBP ~ $508 USD ~ 437 EUR

To be purchased next
Additional Drive Caddy for the hard drive mod £20-35

Last edited:
After reading your guide i purchased a HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Desktop Mini PC Intel Core i7-8700 with 16GB RAM, 512GB NVME Drive, i swapped the NVME for a 1TB and fitted a 2tb ssd.

This machine has the extra cooling fan under the ssd (65w i think).

It has a vga output and two display ports.

It's years since i built a hackintosh and i'm totally out of touch with the terms and the process, but after a bit of a refresher, managed to get a usb installer made and got the boot process about 70% of the way there.

My system is so old (Sierra, with an old mac mini id) that i couldnt download Catalina, but did have a copy of Mojave so used that for my install.

I hit a brick wall and eventually realised it was because macs dont work on vga ports (it's the only monitor i had spare), i remembered i had a display port to vga converter in my current machine and used that and managed to boot, install the o/s and run Mojave (got imessage working as well).

I then remembered i had a dell monitor in my factory (takes every type of connector), so after a trip for that i used a display port to hdmi convertor (it's the only lead i have) and "No Output".

This is on the same port, just a different adapter, no video display at all, but swapping to VGA works on the same monitor.

I read ALL the known issues section and realise that i probably need to change the connector types in my config.plist. (I've already changed the display size).

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this, i can't find the section in clover configurator, could you please tell me how/where to change the connector type.

Everything else is the same as your config.plist and i'm using a direct copy of your EFI, the only real difference is that i could only upgrade the bios to the latest one.

Finally, thank you for an incredibly detailed build and relevant post, it's fantastic.

@PizzaGuru I'm glad you found this helpful. I'm a bit out of practice with CLOVER (I switched to OpenCore as indicated in the Big Sur Thread), but I'll certainly try to help. When posting questions, always include your problem reporting files as described in Post #1. You are welcome to stick with CLOVER, but most of us are running OpenCore now. It may be easier for you to stay current with our latest findings if you switch to OC.

For VGA support, see my post here. Our UHD 630 iGPU is supposed to support VGA when you use DP for the connector type.

If you still have questions, please post your problem reporting files (including your config.plist).

Thank you for the reply.

Now that I have Mojave installed i should be able to download a copy of Big Sur, create a new USB and install BigSur to the freshly installed 2tb drive using opencore, i'll join you on that thread if i have any issues.

Once again, thanks a million.

I am posting this for education about WEG and am NOT proposing a solution without WEG. I am using WEG in my system and it works perfectly.
----------------------------------------------
I attempted to develop a UHD630 graphics solution that does not require WhateverGreen (WEG). My brute force approach duplicates the WhateverGreen graphics properties that I injected (with Clover) as described here. This non-WEG solution almost works, but has graphics glitches during boot (before login prompt) and sometimes boots to black screens, so clearly WEG is doing more than I understand. Posting this as an explanation of some of the magic in WEG. I am still using WEG for my UHD 630 graphics solution and don't expect to develop a solution without WEG.

In addition to removing WhateverGreen.kext, I modified my Clover config.plist to work without WEG as follows
  • Remove all but the AAPL,ig-platform-id graphics device property (0000923E)
  • Enable the following DSDT device renames (WEG was renaming these)
    • change GFX0 to IGPU
    • change HDAS to HDEF
    • change HECI to IMEI
  • Add the following kext patches
Name Find Replace Comment
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer 00000800
C7030000
10.15.5-CFL-3E920000-Con0-LVDS2DVI
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer 01050900
C7030000
10.15.5-CFL-3E920000-Con1-DP2DVI
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer 02040A00 00040000
03040A00
04000000 C7030000
10.15.5-CFL-3E920000-Con2-DP2DVI

The kext patches do the following
  • Add 1 (one) to each connector index (00 -> 01, 01 -> 02, 02 -> 03). Without this index change, my system would boot to a single display that flashed on and off
  • Change all connector types to DigitalDVI (my system has DP connectors, but I am using DP->DVI adapters. System booted to black screens without this connector type change and when I change connector types to DP.
  • Change all connector flags to 0x03C7. Without the change in flag values, displays remained black after sleep/wake and I could not remotely connect after sleep/wake.
  • Change Bus IDs 0, 5, 4 to 1, 2, 4 respectively. I determined this by trial and error. There may be other Bus IDs that work, but my system booted to black screens if I did not change the Bus IDs.

Not to hijack here but want to say a big thank you for your work.

The same set of FrameBuffer connection data is working in my Dell Optiplex 7060 micro (tiny one) (with CPU i5-8600t

2 monitor (DP 4k + DP->DVI 1080p) are working fine
boot up, after sleep may have one or two black 3s flash, acceptable, no black flash later on.

@misaki83 That's great! Glad this helped you. I found that DVI connector type no longer works for me under Monterey. For DP->DVI adapters with Monterey, I need to patch connector type as HDMI. See here.

@misaki83 That's great! Glad this helped you. I found that DVI connector type no longer works for me under Monterey. For DP->DVI adapters with Monterey, I need to patch connector type as HDMI. See here.
I would stay at BigSur then. Definitely would check your post again once upgrade again. Thanks!

I have thunderbolt 3(hp thunderbolt flex io card) on my hackintosh(Elitedesk 800 G5 mini), I have flashed the modified firmware but I don't know how to enable force power.

in windows:There are relevant instructions for the Thunderbolt 3 driver provided by Intel

>W 0xFD6B0700 0x01
Write Memory Address 0xFD6B0700 = 0x01
>RwExit

Back