Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

I was wondering whether anyone has tried applying these instructions to the SFF version of the HP Elitedesk 800 G4.

I'm just about to buy one but hesitating as I can't find any reference online to them being successfully used as a Hackintosh, unlike the mini version. I've set up a Hackintosh once before but it was many years ago so I'm effectively a newbie.
If you read this thread and follow my methodology here, you have a very good chance of having a perfect hack. As you review this thread, you'll find comments from at least one other person who has a "non-Mini" 800 G4. I have never owned one, but it's likely that the SFF has a different USB Port map. It's also possible that the 800 G4 SFF will be a better hack with a different SMBIOS MacModel (something other than MacMini8,1).

If you read this thread and follow my methodology here, you have a very good chance of having a perfect hack. As you review this thread, you'll find comments from at least one other person who has a "non-Mini" 800 G4. I have never owned one, but it's likely that the SFF has a different USB Port map. It's also possible that the 800 G4 SFF will be a better hack with a different SMBIOS MacModel (something other than MacMini8,1).
Thanks for replying, those are very helpful tips about the USB port map and SMBIOS.

I did read through the thread but I was looking out for mention of the SFF, so maybe I just missed a more general mention of non-mini versions (I know there's a tower as well). I'll go back through it again.

Thank you @deeveedee for your guide, I got Catalina running stable on my 800 G4 mini. Couldn't get DP audio to work. CPU temp was high due to macOS bypassing turbo boost disable in BIOS but I have a license for Turbo Boost Switcher Pro and that helps keeping temperature down

Now the question is which wireless card can fit the 800 G4 mini without external kexts or patching?

Thank you @deeveedee for your guide, I got Catalina running stable on my 800 G4 mini. Couldn't get DP audio to work. CPU temp was high due to macOS bypassing turbo boost disable in BIOS but I have a license for Turbo Boost Switcher Pro and that helps keeping temperature down

Now the question is which wireless card can fit the 800 G4 mini without external kexts or patching?
Glad to hear this guide is working for you. You shouldn't need any additional apps/tools for CPU temp - native Apple power management should work perfectly. Read Known Issues for Audio. There are multiple Wi-Fi solutions discussed in this thread and in the Big Sur Thread. It may take some reading.

Glad to hear this guide is working for you. You shouldn't need any additional apps/tools for CPU temp - native Apple power management should work perfectly. Read Known Issues for Audio. There are multiple Wi-Fi solutions discussed in this thread and in the Big Sur Thread. It may take some reading.
Some native Mac users use Turbo Boost disabler to keep temps down as macOS is very trigger happy with boost. Got it on my MBA 13 2019 and it helps. Yeah I followed the known issues and searched this thread for some alternatives, none worked. I bought an M2 riser for the 800 G4 mini that I can run a BCM94360CS2 in, as the wireless M2 bay of this machine is too tight to fit anything other than Intel cards in

Hi, I followed your guide (for HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini) to install hackintosh on my HP prodesk 600 g4 SFF with i7-8700 and 8Gb ram. Thanks, everything went in the best way. Now I ask you how can install a low profile AMD Firepro W4100 graphics card with Cape Verde chipset, thanks in advance.

@genio Congrats on your new hack. Glad this guide helped. Once you have graphics working with the iGPU, it should be just a matter of finding a well-supported dGPU and installing it. This thread and the Big Sur thread are focused on the mini, so dGPU support for the EliteDesk 800 Mini platforms is limited to the one custom option from HP. See here for recommended dGPUs that might work with your rig. If you search the web for your card, you're bound to find help.

I'm continuing to run Catalina 10.15.7 on my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini using the OC 0.6.9 EFI posted here. The latest Catalina security update installed without any issues.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 5.48.49 PM.png

EDIT: After applying the Safari 14.1 Security Update, I needed to reboot in order for Safari to work properly again.

Last edited:
Can you advise what you cut on the hard drive caddy to make it fit the 3rd drive?
I did have a look at your pictures but I am not sure what you did
There's a picture of the caddy mod here that shows the cut-out. I'm not sure how to make it more clear. Do you have the drive caddy for the G4/G5 mini so you can compare your original to my photo?

Back