Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

I have attached an updated "EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini - CLOVER Rev 1.4.zip" archive to Post #1. This updated archive includes a revised CLOVER EFI (CLOVER r5122 for Catalina - not Big Sur) with the following changes: Removed NVMeFix.kext (you may need to add NVMeFix depending on your choice of NVMe SSDs), updated USBPorts.kext, updated Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext. Removed ACPI/SSDT-USBX.aml (not needed with USBPorts.kext). USBPorts.kext now includes USB power properties from a real MacMini8,1 and correct port types for internal and Type C ports. Note that the LE folder (/Library/Extensions) in the updated archive also includes the updated kexts. Many thanks to @rafale77 for his updates to improve USBPort.kext.

Last edited:
Could this be why Clover is not seeing the partial install after the first reboot?

Or should I dump Clover and go with OC?
Your choice. CLOVER r5122 / Catalina 10.15.7 (19H15) is still my stable baseline where I spend most of my time. If you want to run Big Sur, see this thread and use OC (for now).

CORRECTION: Before and after the update to USBPorts.kext, I see the "accessory needs more power" message when I plug my iPhone 7 into the left front USB3 port. If I switch ports and plug the iPhone 7 into the right-front USB3 port, I don't get the error message.

Does anyone else see this same USB behavior?

Last edited:
I may have. I remember having seen this message before and it was not very reproducible. I haven't seen it since so you are likely right!

I cannot thank you all enough. I was able to install Catalina with OC. Very very happy to be back to the mac!

Geekbench: 922 / 4519

I cannot thank you all enough. I was able to install Catalina with OC. Very very happy to be back to the mac!

Geekbench: 922 / 4519
Congratulations!

Last edited:
Congratulations!

EDIT: @jccds - I just performed a clean installation of Catalina 10.15.7.02 with the CLOVER EFI attached to Post #1. It worked without any issues. If you are certain that you followed the installation instructions, I'm not sure why you experienced problems when installing Catalina with CLOVER r5122. I'm glad that OpenCore worked for you. As you learn more about hackintoshing, if you determine the cause of the issues you experienced, please share them as your lessons learned may help others.

First of all, congratulation are for you and rafale77.

I never tested clover, went straight with OC. Do you advise clover vs OC?

Could this be why Clover is not seeing the partial install after the first reboot?

Or should I dump Clover and go with OC?
I just performed a clean installation of Catalina 10.15.7.02 with the CLOVER EFI attached to Post #1. It worked without any issues. If you are certain that you followed the installation instructions, I'm not sure why you experienced problems when installing Catalina with CLOVER r5122. As you learn more about hackintoshing, if you determine the cause of the issues you experienced, please share them as your lessons learned may help others.

I never tested clover, went straight with OC. Do you advise clover vs OC?
I got my conversations mixed-up. That comment should have been for @Squeaky . CLOVER/OC is your choice.

Last edited:
Was browsing GeekBench 5 scores for the New MacMini (Apple M1 Chip). If the benchmark is consistent across platforms, the new MacMini is comparable to the i9-based hacks.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 3.06.56 PM.png

Was browsing GeekBench 5 scores for the New MacMini (Apple M1 Chip). If the benchmark is consistent across platforms, the new MacMini is comparable to the i9-based hacks.

View attachment 497400

The single core is actually significantly higher (30-50%) than the i9. The Multi-Core is between the 9900 and the 9900K. It's pretty impressive.

Back