Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

The 10.15.7 Supplemental update (19H15) proceeded smoothly without any issues. If you're unsure about how to apply the update, follow these steps.

During the update, don't be surprised if displays flash on and off. Also, pay attention to the selected volume when the system reboots during the update.
  1. Backup! Use Carbon Copy or your favorite backup utility.
  2. If you have installed your 3rd-party kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and not in /Library/Extensions, proceed to Step 3.
    If you have installed your 3rd-party kexts in /Library/Extensions as I have done, create a USB boot disk, install Clover r5122 on the USB drive and install your EFI on the USB drive. Copy all 3rd-party kexts to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on the USB drive. Leave your USB drive inserted so that your system reboots from the USB drive. All 3rd-party kexts should be located in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other for the macOS update.
  3. Select About This Mac -> Software Update and start the update. Your system will begin the update.
  4. After your system reboots the first time, select the "Install macOS from Catalina Data" Volume
  5. After your system reboots the second time, select the "Install macOS from Catalina Data" Volume
  6. After your system reboots the third time, boot from your Catalina Volume (now updated). If you created a USB boot drive, you may now remove it.
  7. Welcome to Catalina 10.15.7 19H15!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.21.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.21.14 AM.png
    52 KB · Views: 63
EDIT: AppleALC.kext 1.5.4 seems to work just as 1.5.3 (despite the kext installation warning when installing in /Library/Extensions). My audio baseline remains AppleALC.kext (not VoodooHDA). The post below is for those interested in VoodooHDA and for those who need microphone support.

For those who wish to test VoodooHDA, I have included instructions below for uninstalling VoodooHDA and reverting to AppleALC.
-------------------------------------------------------
I am currently testing VoodooHDA.kext because of the potential AppleALC.kext issue here and because I wanted to see if the headset connector (front) supports a CTIA style (4-connector) headset / microphone (as first reported by @Delek here). After very brief testing, it does appear that VoodooHDA properly recognizes all audio ports and CTIA style headset works. Sound quality seems to be the same as AppleALC. The audio quality of the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 mini is impressive.

Steps to install VoodooHDA (Warning: you should know what you're doing and be familiar with kext installation if you plan to undo this installation and revert to AppleALC)
  1. Backup your system if you are not sure how to revert to AppleALC and you are just experimenting
  2. Download VoodooHDA 2.9.2 Clover-V15 (https://github.com/chris1111/VoodooHDA-2.9.2-Clover-V15/releases)
  3. Start VoodooHDA installer
  4. Click Continue and click Continue again
  5. Select language (default English) and click Continue
  6. Click Agree
  7. Click Customize
  8. Choose your custom install method. I selected VoodooHDA Classic > macOS Catalina (make sure you know how to remove VoodooHDA and re-install AppleHDA.kext if you plan to revert to AppleALC)
  9. Click Install and click Install Software
  10. After installation completes, reboot and test audio

How to uninstall VoodooHDA (after installing with method "Classic > macOS Catalina") and revert to AppleALC.kext
  1. Use Hackintool to Disable Gatekeeper and mount disk in Read/Write Mode
  2. Delete VoodooHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions
  3. Delete AppleHDADisabler.kext from /System/Library/Extensions
  4. Delete VoodooHDA.prefPane from /Library/PreferencePanes
  5. Use Hackintool to install the original AppleHDA.kext back to /System/Library/Extensions (VoodooHDA installer created a backup of AppleHDA.kext in Desktop/Backup Extensions). Hackintool will install AppleHDA.kext and rebuild kextcache.
  6. Reboot (audio will not work after the reboot)
  7. Install AppleALC.kext
  8. Reboot and test audio

Last edited:
Hello all,

here is my OC EFI:
I5 8500 (no Keystore error/fast boot)
HD 630 2x DP, 1 x DP->HDMI
RAM 32 GB
ALCid=20 internal/Line out, 2x DP 1x HDMI Audio
2x NVme 500/250 GB
USB: your SSDT-UIAC.aml (without BT)
10.15.7 / tested with Big Sur 11.0.1 / 20B5022a (update)
OC 0.63

I think, that i´ve got patches i don´t need and some settings could be wrong because i tried to get multiboot working.

Errors:
Multiboot not working with OC but with your Clover
Please check if your maschine goes into deep sleep (with Clover it works)
Different Engerie Settings between Clover/OC
Systemtime Post Error behind reboot

could you please check your PCI Devices?

System PCI.png

(EFI folder with Images, Geekbench & ioreg)

i think, that iMac 27" 11,3 mid 2010 was created from my old real Serial

Big Sur.png

Attachments

• HP 800 G5 OC.zip
    59.8 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Mine shows no PCI device at all and I am not having any deep sleep recovery problem.

I just updated my OC version to 0.6.3 attached.
I am finding odd that you have all these cannon lake references...

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    40.8 MB · Views: 74
Mine shows no PCI device at all and I am not having any deep sleep recovery problem.

I just updated my OC version to 0.6.3 attached.
I am finding odd that you have all these cannon lake references...
Hi, thx for reply!

you have to add them at "Device Properties"
just check my config.plist

i will try your EFI, i saw, that you did it with Fakesmc!

Do you have the Post Error System time?

Hi, thx for reply!

you have to add them at "Device Properties"
just check my config.plist

i will try your EFI, i saw, that you did it with Fakesmc!

Do you have the Post Error System time?
I have no Post Error. No error at all so far.

Again thank you @deeveedee for sharing all this info!

I have no Post Error. No error at all so far.

Again thank you @deeveedee for sharing all this info!
I changed too Fakesmc, the Post Error isn´t gone, also boot feels smother. I don´t know
But deep sleep as with clover won´t work.

If you could help with multiboot too, it would be great too!

PS: Setup works great in Big Sur

your results fine?:
pmset -g log|grep -e " Sleep " -e " Wake "

Last edited:
@rafale77 I'd like to learn OC, so forgive what is probably a stupid question. Your OC config.plist adds audio device properties to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) (what I would expect). What is the reason for setting UEFI>Audio>AudioDevice = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0) in your config.plist?

EDIT: On my EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini, Hackintool lists PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0) as PCI Bridge.

@rafale77 I'd like to learn OC, so forgive what is probably a stupid question. Your OC config.plist adds audio device properties to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) (what I would expect). What is the reason for setting UEFI>Audio>AudioDevice = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0) in your config.plist?

EDIT: On my EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini, Hackintool lists PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0) as PCI Bridge.
Hmm probably a mistake. I actually did not generate this config.plist and took it from @chanquete69.
I too have been modifying it to streamline/adapt it to my config. My guess... could be a leftover from some other configuration?

And here I fixed my PCI listing
Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 14.45.47.png

@Carstimann, yes my sleep is fine.

And here is my geekbench score (there is some thermal throttling going on at the end of the benchmark) To compare the best score I got from my previous 9900K with 3466MHz RAM was 1329/8412

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 15.37.12.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 16.23.54.png

Last edited:
Back