Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

I just upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 without any issues. There are a few reboots and a couple of times where the installer appears to have stalled (but it hasn't). Just be patient.

EDIT: If you're not sure how to perform the Catalina 10.15.7 upgrade, follow the 10.15.6 instructions here. In step 6, after the 3rd reboot, you may need to wait for the installation to finish before you see the Catalina desktop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.07.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.07.11 PM.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
That drive bay should work. My 65W EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini (CPU is i7-8700) requires a drive bay cooling fan as well. My 35W unit (CPU is i7-8700T) does not require the drive bay cooling fan. If you attempt to use the 65W unit without the drive bay cooling fan, you will receive a boot error every time you boot.

If your system requires the drive bay cooling fan, you might want to search for other drive bays that include the cooling fan like this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1417926-REG/hp_3tk91at_g4_mini_2_5_inch_sata.html

Please confirm that the caddy / fan that you order is correct for your system before you order them.
It's a helpful information because I'm using 65W. It's annoying if get boot error everytime turn on the machine. Thanks you, I'll try order the bay at amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX8YS3K/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

EDIT: My displays continue to operate without issues after changing 'Video Memory Size' (configured in BIOS) from 64MB to 512MB (max available). This is consistent with the recommendation here which suggests setting total amount of DVMT to max. The HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini BIOS does not permit configuration of 'DVMT Pre-Allocated.' It appears that I had configured video memory incorrectly in BIOS. I will continue to monitor this in my system.
-----------------------------------------------------
I have increased my BIOS 'Video Memory Size' configuration from 64MB to 512MB for the reasons stated below. I am still testing and have not determined that this change is necessary.

Details:
I am still trying to determine the cause of the display problems I stated here and have not made a final determination. These problems are so rare and infrequent that they're hard for me to test. I am currently running without 'pipes' and without 'dummy con3' in my CLOVER config.plist (properties that I had previously guessed were needed to fix the display problems). I have increased 'Video Memory Size' in BIOS from 64MB to 512MB. After making this BIOS configuration change, I have not observed any of the problems reported here through multiple days of regular operation. I will continue to monitor this and have still not made any final conclusions.

Last edited:
I have updated the 'HP EliteDesk 800 BIOS Configuration' PDF document attached to Post #1 in this thread (document version 1.1). This updated BIOS Configuration increases the Video Memory Size from 64MB to 512MB and disables Audio Alerts during boot.

I was in a discussion with someone about proper USB port patching in another forum and realized that there is confusion about the proper way to patch USB. When using Headkaze's Hackintool (GREAT tool), your USB patching should proceed as follows (these instructions are for CLOVER - instructions for OC are similar but not specified below):
  1. Enable USB port limit patch (in config.plist) and copy USBInjectAll.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. No other USB kexts/ACPI patches should be installed.
  2. Boot into macOS and run Hackintool
  3. Follow Hackintool instructions for generating USB patches (the result will include both SSDT-UIAC.aml and USBPorts.kext)
  4. Choose ONE of the following USB patching methods: USBPorts.kext -OR- USBInjectAll.kext & SSDT-UIAC.aml
  5. If choosing USBPorts.kext, remove USBInjectAll.kext from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other and copy USBPorts.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other. (I install kexts in /Library/Extensions, so I would also install USBPorts.kext in /L/E. If you're only copying kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other, then ignore /Library/Extensions.) Skip to Step 7.
  6. If choosing SSDT-UIAC.aml, leave USBInjectAll.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other. (I install kexts in /Library/Extensions, so I would also install USBInjectAll.kext in /L/E. If you're only copying kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other, then ignore /Library/Extensions.) Copy SSDT-UIAC.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  7. Disable USB port limit patch (in config.plist)
  8. Reboot
  9. Confirm USB ports with IORegistryExplorer or Hackintool (I prefer to use IORegistryExplorer to confirm USB ports) and test USB ports.
The three files referenced in this post are attached. Note that the attached SSDT-UIAC.aml and USBPorts.kext include all EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini USB ports (including the Type-C port and the internal Bluetooth port).

Here's a great reference for the interested reader: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    18.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
New acidanthera kexts (Lilu, WhateverGreen, AppleALC) have been released. The new AppleALC includes a LayoutID 20 for CX20632. I haven't yet tried this, but I'm wondering what it fixes/adds on our EliteDesk 800 G4 Minis.

I am now running with the latest Acidanthera kexts listed below and I have changed my audio layout-id to 20 (0x14). With AppleALC.kext v1.5.3 and layout-id 20, the internal speaker, line out port and headphone port are all recognized and can be selected via the volume control in the menu bar. Line In is available in the audio configuration, but my mic doesn't work. Not sure if it's the mic or the input.

• AppleALC v1.5.3
  • IntelMausi v1.0.4
  • NVMeFix v1.0.4
  • Lilu 1.4.8
  • WhateverGreen 1.4.3

Thanks for keeping this thread alive and updated @deeveedee !
Line In is available in the audio configuration, but my mic doesn't work
I just updated kexts and used layout-id 20 with same results

On another topic OpenIntelWireless-Factory for Intel WiFi is getting better and more stable with each release. Note that you won't get full speed with this solution (e.g. under Windows 270 mbps download while OpenIntelWireless-Factory only 30mbps) and I still experience significant drops to crawl speed from time to time it is still much better than any USB WiFI solution

hello deeveedee,

thx 4 your great work!
your Clover EFI works out of the box :D.

do you allready tried OC?
i´ve got a working config 4 the 800 G3 mini. But i think, that some patches of mine are wrong because they won´t work with the G4.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 66
do you allready tried OC?
i´ve got a working config 4 the 800 G3 mini. But i think, that some patches of mine are wrong because they won´t work with the G4.
Glad this thread is helping you! My 800 G4 Mini is working perfectly and stability / reliability is my priority right now, so I'm not venturing into OC or CLOVER r5123+ yet. I'm planning to let the Big Sur dust settle before my next big configuration change. Note that CLOVER r5122 (and my config.plist) employ OCQuirks. CLOVER r5123+ has incorporated OC's kext injection.

Back