Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

Ok - I'll review the debug files again. What display cables / adapters are you using?
Sorry, I forgot to answer you, I am using DP to DP cables for both.
don't be lazy, upload new problem reporting files with your new changes
deeveedee is trying to help you here, the least you can do is make things easier
Ok, will update to the current files on first post and upload them again.

Sorry, I forgot to answer you, I am using DP to DP cables for both.

Ok, will update to the current files on first post and upload them again.
or just reply with new files to make it easier

Ok - I'll review the debug files again. What display cables / adapters are you using?

Thank you, @Feartech - having the problem reporting files uploaded with each request for help is best and a fair expectation from someone asking for help.

@chanquete69 - here are my observations of the problem reporting files in your previous post:
  • You haven't yet updated kexts as described here
  • Why do you have RTCMemoryFixup.kext with CLOVER?
  • The framebuffer-conX-types in your config.plist are DigitalDVI (0x04). Are you using DP->DVI adapters for your displays?
  • Your SMBIOS MacModel is MacMini8,1, but your CPU is 9th Gen. We discussed this before. Are you still running with MacMini8,1 or have you changed to iMac19,1?
@chanquete69 If your display cables are DP->DP, your framebuffer-conX-types should be 0x0400 (reverse byte order: 0x00040000) and NOT 0x0004 (reverse byte order 0x04000000).

@chanquete69 One other thing: I added device property No-hda-gfx to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) because I'm using DP->DVI adapters. You probably don't want this if you want audio over DP. I would recommend reading this entire thread, starting with Post #1. Your system is not identical to mine, so you will need to adapt my installation methodology and configuration to your system.

@chanquete69 One more thing... Your config.plist specified CLOVER GUI screen resolution 1680x1050 (so you haven't changed my originally configured setting to match your system). You should change this to match your display resolution. Read the complete set of known issues and their solutions.

Last edited:
Thank you, @Feartech - having the problem reporting files uploaded with each request for help is best and a fair expectation from someone asking for help.

@chanquete69 - here are my observations of the problem reporting files in your previous post:
  • You haven't yet updated kexts as described here
  • Why do you have RTCMemoryFixup.kext with CLOVER?
  • The framebuffer-conX-types in your config.plist are DigitalDVI (0x04). Are you using DP->DVI adapters for your displays?
  • Your SMBIOS MacModel is MacMini8,1, but your CPU is 9th Gen. We discussed this before. Are you still running with MacMini8,1 or have you changed to iMac19,1?
@chanquete69 If your display cables are DP->DP, your framebuffer-conX-types should be 0x0400 (reverse byte order: 0x00040000) and NOT 0x0004 (reverse byte order 0x04000000).

@chanquete69 One other thing: I added device property No-hda-gfx to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) because I'm using DP->DVI adapters. You probably don't want this if you want audio over DP. I would recommend reading this entire thread, starting with Post #1. Your system is not identical to mine, so you will need to adapt my installation methodology and configuration to your system.
That files didn't contain the changes you suggested, sorry for the confusion. Here you have the one I have just created. As said, I have just updated to the current files in post 1. With these files, you will see that observations 1, 2 and 4 are corrected. About 3rd observation, I am not using adapters here, only DP to DP male cables. I am going to try to change the values for the ones you suggested, fingers crossed :)

About sound, I prefer to have sound over the jack cable, that way I can manage volume using the keyboard rather than managing it on speakers.

Attachments

• debug_20347.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 71
That files didn't contain the changes you suggested, sorry for the confusion. Here you have the one I have just created. As said, I have just updated to the current files in post 1. With these files, you will see that observations 1, 2 and 4 are corrected. About 3rd observation, I am not using adapters here, only DP to DP male cables. I am going to try to change the values for the ones you suggested, fingers crossed :)

About sound, I prefer to have sound over the jack cable, that way I can manage volume using the keyboard rather than managing it on speakers.
I have made de conX-type change and it seems worse than before, now one of the monitors not always wakes from sleep, it reamins black until I reconnect it. Another debug files generated while the monitor is black is attached.
Thank you very much for your help! :)

Attachments

• debug_17797.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 60
I have made de conX-type change and it seems worse than before, now one of the monitors not always wakes from sleep, it reamins black until I reconnect it. Another debug files generated while the monitor is black is attached.
Thank you very much for your help! :)

I added a few things after I originally posted my previous comments, so please re-read to make sure you've done everything (e.g. update kexts and change screen resolution).

Also, now that you're using DP connector types, BusID 0x01 is no longer valid. You will probably need to change your connector BusIDs for DP, so read this. Your change may be as simple as changing framebuffer-con0-busid from 0x01 to 0x05 (reverse byte order 0x05000000), but I am not sure. Display property configuration is not easy and requires trial and error. If your displays and display connectors are different from the ones described in my system specs in Post #1, you cannot simply copy my config.plist.

I added a few things after I originally posted my previous comments, so please re-read to make sure you've done everything (e.g. update kexts and change screen resolution).

Also, now that you're using DP connector types, BusID 0x01 is no longer valid. You will probably need to change your connector BusIDs for DP, so read this. Your change may be as simple as changing framebuffer-con0-busid from 0x01 to 0x05 (reverse byte order 0x05000000), but I am not sure. Display property configuration is not easy and requires trial and error. If your displays and display connectors are different from the ones described in my system specs in Post #1, you cannot simply copy my config.plist.
Awesome, thank you for that documentation. Will read everything carefully and keep you informed. Thank you very much!

For the moment I didn't found the problem. I have tried with all possible BusIDs values but the same problem occurs. I will continue investigating.

One additional question about the 65w EliteDesk (I am thinking about searching one of it to change mine), searching in forums I see that i7-8700 can reach almost 200w when Turbo. Have you tried if your i7-8700 throttles when stressed because of temperature or not sufficient power with the included 90w PSU?

For the moment I didn't found the problem. I have tried with all possible BusIDs values but the same problem occurs. I will continue investigating.

One additional question about the 65w EliteDesk (I am thinking about searching one of it to change mine), searching in forums I see that i7-8700 can reach almost 200w when Turbo. Have you tried if your i7-8700 throttles when stressed because of temperature or not sufficient power with the included 90w PSU?

After you configure BusIDs that are valid for DP ports (e.g. replacing BusID 0x01 with BusID 0x05), you may need to experiment with other framebuffer values as well. For example, you may need to change AAPL,ig-platform-id to 0x3E9B0007 (reverse byte order 0x07009B3E). Read this entire document and see how I experimented here.

The i7-8700 is rated at 65W TDP. However, I have read that it can dissipate more power during turbo boost. Since the i7-8700 GeekBench5 scores that I have posted in this thread fall short of a real MacMini8,1, I suspect that I am seeing some thermal limiting. The PSU is not likely to be the issue - the performance is limited by cooling and the ability for the heatsink to dissipate heat in this tiny package. Regardless, I am very pleased with the performance of this HackMini8,1.

EDIT: @chanquete69 One other thing that I have mentioned in my known issues: try adding the graphics properties described here. Do they make any difference for you?

EDIT2: @chanquete69 I was playing with BusID values to see if I could give you more advice. On my system (with DP->DVI adapters) values 0x01, 0x02 and 0x04 are required for framebuffer-con0-busid, framebuffer-con1-busid and framebuffer-con2-busid respectively. If I were trying to guess BusIDs for your system (with DP connectors and no adapters), I would try 0x02, 0x04 and 0x05 (in that order for framebuffer-con0-busid, framebuffer-con1-busid and framebuffer-con2-busid respectively). I'd also make sure that the connector types were all DP (0x0400). Of course you would need the reverse byte order for each of these values in your config.plist. If that didn't work with AAPL,ig-platform-id = 0x3e920000, I would try AAPL,ig-platform-id = 0x3e9b0007 (again, you would need to change the values to reverse byte order before entering in your config.plist). Have you had any luck with your system?

Last edited:
I have confirmed that my SATA caddy modification here works perfectly with the 65W G4 Mini and its HD fan assembly. Two M.2 2280 SSDs and one SATA6 HD fit/work perfectly and the HD cooling fan helps with SSD/HD temps. Note that the 65W G4 Mini issues a boot warning if the system is booted without an HD fan assembly when the SATA drive caddy is installed. The 35W unit does not require the HD fan assembly (and thus does not issue a boot warning if it is not installed).

thumbnail_IMG_1211.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1212.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1211.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1211.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 74
  • thumbnail_IMG_1212.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1212.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 12.28.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 12.28.14 PM.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 90