Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I noticed that one of my M.2 NVMe drives was running warmer than usual. I installed NVMeFix.kext and see a lower operating temp, but haven't observed long enough to confirm. I know that "Autonomous Power State Transition to reduce idle power consumption of the controller" is supposed to be one of the benefits.

Has anyone else tested NVMeFix.kext to determine whether it is reducing NVMe drive temps?

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
i5-8500T
Graphics
UHD 630 + 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I read a post by @5T33Z0 in another forum where he suggests a reduced driver set with CLOVER (especially after r5122). Based on his recommendations, I am currently running without FSInject.efi and without SMCHelper.efi. My reduced CLOVER r5122 driver set is as follows:
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • NvmExpressDxe.efi
  • OcQuirks.efi (since I'm still booting with r5122)
  • OpenRuntime.efi
  • VBoxHfs.efi
According to him, after r5123, OcQuirks.efi is no longer necessary.
I also remove DataHubDxe and NvmExpressDxe and changed VBoxHfs to HFSPlus. Many people recommend using HFSPlus. My Samsung NVMe working fine (temp +52 °C with NVMeFix.kext).

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I also remove DataHubDxe and NvmExpressDxe and changed VBoxHfs to HFSPlus. Many people recommend using HFSPlus. My Samsung NVMe working fine (temp +52 °C with NVMeFix.kext).
Interesting... My rig does not boot without DataHubDxe.efi. Any ideas why that might be? Are you booting from NVMe without NvmExpressDxe?

@Delek would you mind posting your EFI?

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDIT: @Delek - I forgot that you had an RX560 in your EliteDesk Mini. I think it would be better if you post your sanitized EFI in this thread. Thank you!
--------------------------
@Delek While I "reacquaint myself with the forum rules" and figure out why the heck our posts are getting deleted, could you post your sanitized EFI publicly to this forum? You can use black.dragon's tool as I've described in Post #1 to extract an output that includes a sanitized config.plist.

@Delek - Just include your sanitized config.plist, ACPI/patched, kexts/Other (if that's what CLOVER r5127 still uses) and drivers. Thanks!

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP Prodesk 600 G3 Mini
CPU
i5-7500T
Graphics
HD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thank you @deeveedee for this wonderful guide!

Using this method and some adjustment I was able to do a successful installation of Catalina 10.15.7 (19H15) on a HP ProDesk 600 G3 Mini.

System specs
CPU: i5-7500T
GPU: HD 630
Chipset: Q270
BIOS: 02.35 Rev.A
SSD: Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 250GB

Like you discovered on the EliteDesk 800 G3 Mini, this ACPI patch is needed in order to boot correctly.

To fully support graphics acceleration, I had to set the correct FrameBuffer type. I set the AAPL,ig-platform-id property to 00001259 (my FB is 0x59120000) and removed all the others as they seems to be not needed.

The USB ports worked as the patch is very similar (not identical), but I made my own USBPorts.kext.

I saw that on my setup the PPMC and PMCR patch are not needed, the OS loads the PMC device correctly without them.

I don't see temperature differences on the SSD with or without NVMeFix (I think it depends on what SSD are you using and if it's supported without NVMeFix). Also the NvmExpressDxe driver seems useless, no performance improvement or better compatibility.

Regarding the HPET disabling I'm fine with it, but I have to keep the FixRTC flag, otherwise the RTC corrupts.

I also updated Clover to the last version (r5127).

To sum up, the system is working with the following

ACPI patch:
  • SSDT-AWAC-HPET.aml
  • SSDT-XOSI.aml
  • SSDT-XSPI.aml
UEFI drivers:
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi (it works also without it, but I read somewhere in the Clover wiki that it's not a problem if your system supports DataHub and you still load this driver)
  • OpenRuntime.efi
  • SMCHelper.efi
  • VBoxHfs.efi
Kext:
  • AppleALC.kext v1.5.5
  • EFICheckDisabler.kext v0.5
  • FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext v1800
  • FakeSMC.kext v1800
  • IntelMausi.kext v1.0.4
  • Lilu.kext v1.5.0
  • USBPorts.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext v1.4.5
No luck with sleep/wake, but I'm fine with it.

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you @deeveedee for this wonderful guide!

Using this method and some adjustment I was able to do a successful installation of Catalina 10.15.7 (19H15) on a HP ProDesk 600 G3 Mini.

The USB ports worked as the patch is very similar (not identical), but I made my own USBPorts.kext.

I saw that on my setup the PPMC and PMCR patch are not needed, the OS loads the PMC device correctly without them.

Regarding the HPET disabling I'm fine with it, but I have to keep the FixRTC flag, otherwise the RTC corrupts.

No luck with sleep/wake, but I'm fine with it.
Excellent! This is consistent with my findings - nice work. When you say "FixRTC" flag, I assume you mean CLOVER's AppleRTC kext patch and not CLOVER's FixRTC ACPI patch - correct?

Motherboard
HP Prodesk 600 G3 Mini
CPU
i5-7500T
Graphics
HD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Excellent! This is consistent with my findings - nice work. When you say "FixRTC" flag, I assume you mean CLOVER's AppleRTC kext patch and not CLOVER's FixRTC ACPI patch - correct?
No, I mean precisely Clover's FixRTC ACPI patch :think:

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
No, I mean precisely Clover's FixRTC ACPI patch :think:
I forgot - CLOVER's FixRTC ACPI patch is also changing the RTC length to 0x02. In my opinion, this is NOT the correct way to address the RTC corruption issue (if you want a chance at working sleep with the G3 Mini). I am booting my G3 Mini with OC and am using Acidanthera's RTCMemoryFixup.kext. For now, I'm using rtcfx-exclude=00-FF (the full region). With this rtcfx-exclude range, the G3 Mini does not have RTC corruption. I have not yet experimented to find the specific (narrower) range. Be aware that an incorrect RTC patch can prevent proper sleep.

@vascorosso - I haven't tried RTCMemoryFixup.kext with CLOVER. If you want an experiment, try adding RTCMemoryFixup.kext, add boot-arg rtcfx-exclude=00-FF and uncheck CLOVER's FixRTC ACPI patch. You can read more about RTCMemoryFixup here.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP Prodesk 600 G3 Mini
CPU
i5-7500T
Graphics
HD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I haven't tried RTCMemoryFixup.kext with CLOVER. If you want an experiment, try adding RTCMemoryFixup.kext, add boot-arg rtcfx-exclude=00-FF and uncheck CLOVER's FixRTC ACPI patch.
Thank you for the suggestion, I confirm it works also on my system for the purpose of not corrupting the RTC.

Now I'm investigating the wake issue. It seems that I am able to correctly wake the system if there's no displays connected. After that, I connect the display and it's all OK.
If I wake the system with a display connected it freezes and the only way to recover is to power off manually.