Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Catalina on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - CLOVER & OC

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just installed the latest catalina 10.15.7 supplemental upgrade. Went smoothly after 3 reboots. Just noticed the "about x minutes remaining" showing up in spanish at one point.

And I found out why... the config mentioned an 87 key spanish keyboard.
This is my final EFI. (for the day?)
Congrats! When you get a chance, I'd love to see your GeekBench 5 benchmarks for comparison.

@rafale77 Your config.plist still specifies the MacModel as MacMini8,1. You may want to experiment with iMac 19,1, since this is a better match for your 9th Gen Intel CPU.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP Elitedesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks, the smbios switch to iMac19,1 is probably a good suggestion.
I am pushing the envelope a little here trying to get sidecar and unlock with watch work. It seems to be a problem with the missing T2 chip at the moment.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
i5-8500T
Graphics
UHD 630 + 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
...It seems to be a problem with the missing T2 chip at the moment.
I do not think so)
Everything works fine for me without the t2 chip - sidecar with IPAD 8 and unblock with iWatch 5

Motherboard
HP Elitedesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I do not think so)
Everything works fine for me without the t2 chip - sidecar with IPAD 8 and unblock with iWatch 5
Interesting. Thanks for reporting this, I am wondering what I am missing then... Maybe pointing to bluetooth.
What do you use for wifi?

Edit: Well, I turned bluetooth off and then back on and both sidecar and watch unlock work now... yeah!

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The 10.15.7 Supplemental update (19H15) proceeded smoothly without any issues. If you're unsure about how to apply the update, follow these steps.

During the update, don't be surprised if displays flash on and off. Also, pay attention to the selected volume when the system reboots during the update.
  1. Backup! Use Carbon Copy or your favorite backup utility.
  2. If you have installed your 3rd-party kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and not in /Library/Extensions, proceed to Step 3.
    If you have installed your 3rd-party kexts in /Library/Extensions as I have done, create a USB boot disk, install Clover r5122 on the USB drive and install your EFI on the USB drive. Copy all 3rd-party kexts to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on the USB drive. Leave your USB drive inserted so that your system reboots from the USB drive. All 3rd-party kexts should be located in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other for the macOS update.
  3. Select About This Mac -> Software Update and start the update. Your system will begin the update.
  4. After your system reboots the first time, select the "Install macOS from Catalina Data" Volume
  5. After your system reboots the second time, select the "Install macOS from Catalina Data" Volume
  6. After your system reboots the third time, boot from your Catalina Volume (now updated). If you created a USB boot drive, you may now remove it.
  7. Welcome to Catalina 10.15.7 19H15!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.21.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.21.14 AM.png
    52 KB · Views: 16
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDIT: AppleALC.kext 1.5.4 seems to work just as 1.5.3 (despite the kext installation warning when installing in /Library/Extensions). My audio baseline remains AppleALC.kext (not VoodooHDA). The post below is for those interested in VoodooHDA and for those who need microphone support.

For those who wish to test VoodooHDA, I have included instructions below for uninstalling VoodooHDA and reverting to AppleALC.
-------------------------------------------------------
I am currently testing VoodooHDA.kext because of the potential AppleALC.kext issue here and because I wanted to see if the headset connector (front) supports a CTIA style (4-connector) headset / microphone (as first reported by @Delek here). After very brief testing, it does appear that VoodooHDA properly recognizes all audio ports and CTIA style headset works. Sound quality seems to be the same as AppleALC. The audio quality of the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 mini is impressive.

Steps to install VoodooHDA (Warning: you should know what you're doing and be familiar with kext installation if you plan to undo this installation and revert to AppleALC)
  1. Backup your system if you are not sure how to revert to AppleALC and you are just experimenting
  2. Download VoodooHDA 2.9.2 Clover-V15 (https://github.com/chris1111/VoodooHDA-2.9.2-Clover-V15/releases)
  3. Start VoodooHDA installer
  4. Click Continue and click Continue again
  5. Select language (default English) and click Continue
  6. Click Agree
  7. Click Customize
  8. Choose your custom install method. I selected VoodooHDA Classic > macOS Catalina (make sure you know how to remove VoodooHDA and re-install AppleHDA.kext if you plan to revert to AppleALC)
  9. Click Install and click Install Software
  10. After installation completes, reboot and test audio

How to uninstall VoodooHDA (after installing with method "Classic > macOS Catalina") and revert to AppleALC.kext
  1. Use Hackintool to Disable Gatekeeper and mount disk in Read/Write Mode
  2. Delete VoodooHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions
  3. Delete AppleHDADisabler.kext from /System/Library/Extensions
  4. Delete VoodooHDA.prefPane from /Library/PreferencePanes
  5. Use Hackintool to install the original AppleHDA.kext back to /System/Library/Extensions (VoodooHDA installer created a backup of AppleHDA.kext in Desktop/Backup Extensions). Hackintool will install AppleHDA.kext and rebuild kextcache.
  6. Reboot (audio will not work after the reboot)
  7. Install AppleALC.kext
  8. Reboot and test audio

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP Elitedesk 800 G5 mini
CPU
i5 9600
Graphics
HD630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

here is my OC EFI:
I5 8500 (no Keystore error/fast boot)
HD 630 2x DP, 1 x DP->HDMI
RAM 32 GB
ALCid=20 internal/Line out, 2x DP 1x HDMI Audio
2x NVme 500/250 GB
USB: your SSDT-UIAC.aml (without BT)
10.15.7 / tested with Big Sur 11.0.1 / 20B5022a (update)
OC 0.63

I think, that i´ve got patches i don´t need and some settings could be wrong because i tried to get multiboot working.

Errors:
Multiboot not working with OC but with your Clover
Please check if your maschine goes into deep sleep (with Clover it works)
Different Engerie Settings between Clover/OC
Systemtime Post Error behind reboot

could you please check your PCI Devices?

System PCI.png

(EFI folder with Images, Geekbench & ioreg)

i think, that iMac 27" 11,3 mid 2010 was created from my old real Serial

Big Sur.png

Attachments

• HP 800 G5 OC.zip
    59.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Motherboard
HP Elitedesk 800 G5 Mini
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Mine shows no PCI device at all and I am not having any deep sleep recovery problem.

I just updated my OC version to 0.6.3 attached.
I am finding odd that you have all these cannon lake references...

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    40.8 MB · Views: 10
Motherboard
HP Elitedesk 800 G5 mini
CPU
i5 9600
Graphics
HD630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Mine shows no PCI device at all and I am not having any deep sleep recovery problem.

I just updated my OC version to 0.6.3 attached.
I am finding odd that you have all these cannon lake references...
Hi, thx for reply!

you have to add them at "Device Properties"
just check my config.plist

i will try your EFI, i saw, that you did it with Fakesmc!

Do you have the Post Error System time?