Contribute
Register

[Guide] Catalina Gigabyte Z170 HD3P + i7-6700K + Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8Gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIOS settings are similar to >>this first post<<

I attach my EFI folder (but deleted my serial number and smUUID in the Config.plist)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    24.5 MB · Views: 360
Thank you for this guide! I created the boot drive with the USB stick. When it boots, it open the Clover boot manager and shows all the drives *except* for the USB drive. Is there something I am doing wrong or missing here? I followed the guide very carefully and made sure I didn’t put anything extra on the drive. Thanks!

[*** UPDATE ***] I got it to work! To those who are in the same position - I downloaded the EFI.zip above this post and then went through each of the folders (mainly concentrated on the drivers, kexts and config files) and copied it over to my USB drive. Worked great and I now have Catalina installed!!! :) Thanks CeeeWeee!!!

Last edited:
Hi, Guys. im buying a AMD RX 580 to update my GTX760. and I have problem to make this work. I have Lilu, WGE. last update and I use all setting CeeeWeee living in this Post. but I can't make this work my Config Xeon 1155 E-1230 v2 32GB DDR3 1866mhz all disc SSD, AMD RX 580. on windows 10 everything work great but I can't make work on catalina 10.15.2 (19C57)

Hi, Guys. im buying a AMD RX 580 to update my GTX760. and I have problem to make this work. I have Lilu, WGE. last update and I use all setting CeeeWeee living in this Post. but I can't make this work my Config Xeon 1155 E-1230 v2 32GB DDR3 1866mhz all disc SSD, AMD RX 580. on windows 10 everything work great but I can't make work on catalina 10.15.2 (19C57)
Hi RGDDJ21 - you have a different motherboard and cannot expect this guide to fit. You need to find a guide that fits your setup or open a new thread.

Hi RGDDJ21 - you have a different motherboard and cannot expect this guide to fit. You need to find a guide that fits your setup or open a new thread.

let me tell, is work. now I have everything work good AMD RX580 8GB work Phenomenal. the dual monitor work very good whit the DisplayPort configuration. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 10.39.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 10.39.40 PM.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 5.08.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 5.08.54 PM.png
    220.6 KB · Views: 107
First - there a good general guides already. Will concentrate on what worked for this specific setup. It is an older system and therefore some might need that.

Fresh Install (upgrade is below)
  1. Create boot disk as stated here in the Update directly to MacOs Catalina thread
    • Remember to use the mentioned config.plist from This
    • Use Clover 5070
    • Use the following kexts (in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/)
      • AppleALC.kext
      • FakeSMC.kext
      • Lilu.kext
      • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
      • RealtekRTL8111.kext
      • WhateverGreen.kext
    • Add the following files in a sub folder on the USB
      • Clover 5070 install
      • Latest MultiBeast
      • Clover Configurator
  2. Boot and install from your USB and choose the Catalina install disk
    • I would start formatting your target disk with the Disk Tool - remember to use APFS
    • Will boot 3 times during install
    • Just before I was to login for the first time I got Black Screen
      • Use HDMI to finalize the setup - you can revert to DisplayPort later
      • (if you boot with injecting AMD graphics you might not see this)
    • Complete your setup and you should now be in Catalina
      • Network, sound etc might not work yet
      • Do NOT state that you will be using a network (the setup guide crashes)
  3. First thing thereafter is to install EFI
    • In terminal run "sudo mount -uw /". Otherwise you cannot install Clover
    • Run MultiBeast with the following ticked
    • View attachment 431142
    • Thereafter install Clover 5070
    • Just to be sure I copied the 6 mentioned kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
  4. Now configure your Config.plist
  5. Save the Config.plist - Reboot
  6. All should be working now. You can use the DisplayPort again. Go ahead and create your SMBIOS settings BEFORE YOU LOGIN TO ICLOUD
Upgrade from Mojave
  1. Make a backup ;) (I can recommend CCC)
  2. Do step 3 from above (the sudo mount is not needed)
  3. Do step 4 from above - in principle it should not need much adjustment if your current setup in Mojave is working. But the ATI Inject is important to avoid the black screen
  4. Reboot
  5. Go to System Upgrade - Upgrade to Catalina
    • On first reboot choose the Preboot installer - next reboot choose the Install - and finally the MacOSis
  6. You should now have a well running Catalina
Hope this helps some of you out there with an "older" Motherboard.
Is your sidecar working with that config.plist?

@CeeeWeee
Is it necessary to do the Multibeast installation? even if there is no version for Catalina only the one for Mojave
Btw: i have a i7 4790K + Mob Asus Z97-P + RX 580
I'm about to install Catalina and i don't know if i need togo through these steps:
Or just pass directly to copying Kexts?

I have the same setup as CeeeWeee except that I am at the moment waiting on a RX5700 to come. So I installed everything per guide (of course except for ATI Inject) and everything works. However I am getting random crashes that cause the system to reboot. How do I go about tracking the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back