Contribute
Register

[Guide] Broadwell HD5500 Setting DVMT in InsydeH20 BIOS Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my friends was successful. But, as you can see, he uses "setup_var2".
And, in accordance with his test, if you start with Clover, then restart to "shell grub" will fail. If you do not pass clover, directly into the WIN, and then restart to enter the "shell grub" has a certain chance of success!
Although I also think this is no reason, but the fact is that.:eek:
Unfortunately, I have only one MAC system. Tested with PE system, still fail.:eek:
Hope that the above information on the dual system of friends to help.
080345vqqfz65oqdvrz75f.jpg

One of my friends was successful. But, as you can see, he uses "setup_var2".
And, in accordance with his test, if you start with Clover, then restart to "shell grub" will fail. If you do not pass clover, directly into the WIN, and then restart to enter the "shell grub" has a certain chance of success!
Although I also think this is no reason, but the fact is that.:eek:
Unfortunately, I have only one MAC system. Tested with PE system, still fail.:eek:
Hope that the above information on the dual system of friends to help.View attachment 215935

Good info. I added a link to this post from post #1.

Good info. I added a link to this post from post #1.
Glad that this is a useful information.
But please note that his error message has been the end of the '08'. Most of the error message is not so, the general is' 1A '.
He has repeatedly tested this, as shown in figure. 'setup_var' never came into effect.
The same msg as '08', can try it.
22.jpg

Hi,
My current DVMT is set to 96MB which gives 64MB in Windows 8.1.

View attachment 139604

To change my DVMT setting to 128MB, I entered
Code:
 setup_var 0x18C 0x4

This is how the output looks like when successfully changed at the DOS prompt.

View attachment 139606

And here is what it looks like in Windows:

View attachment 139605

So obviously as this doesn’t work in OSX I had to return it to 96MB, using the following

Code:
setup_var 0x18C 0x3

This gives the following result when successfully changed.

View attachment 139607

Note that the only interaction I have is typing in the setup_var 0x18C 0x3 and when its finished typed in reboot. No other input is required.

With 128MB OSX boots but I get a black screen with only the mouse pointer hence why I had to revert to 96MB.

Hope this helps….

I follow all your guide, but when i setuup the varialble, i get a message like this

--> GUID does not match expected GUID, taking it nevertheless...
expected a different size of the Setup variable (got 1350 (0x546) bytes).
Continue with care...
successfully obtained "Setup" variable from VSS (got 1350 (0x546) bytes).
offset 0x1ee is: 0x04
setting offset 0x1ee to 0x04
var name: Setup, var size: 12, var guid: 80e1202e-2697-4264 -
9c-c9-80-76-2c-3e-58-63

Any help?

I follow all your guide, but when i setuup the varialble, i get a message like this

--> GUID does not match expected GUID, taking it nevertheless...
expected a different size of the Setup variable (got 1350 (0x546) bytes).
Continue with care...
successfully obtained "Setup" variable from VSS (got 1350 (0x546) bytes).
offset 0x1ee is: 0x04
setting offset 0x1ee to 0x04
var name: Setup, var size: 12, var guid: 80e1202e-2697-4264 -
9c-c9-80-76-2c-3e-58-63

Any help?

Seems like it worked.

Just clarifying. I am not using the minStolenSize patch on 10.12.1 . Mac shows "VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB". QE/CI works. Windows shows 128 MB Dedicated Video Memory.

This means, I do not need to patch my BIOS, right?

===================

I would just like to point out one thing. Hope it helps anybody else facing any issues.

I was working on my BIOS of the Lenovo Yoga 710-15, following the guide.

First difference: The EXE you get from Lenovo is not the actual BIOS EXE. You need to run the EXE, which will extract the actual BIOS EXE (single file). And this extraction is not possible using WinRAR or 7zip. You HAVE to run the downloaded EXE to get the BIOS EXE.

This BIOS EXE can then be "unzipped" using 7zip. The extracted contents contain a BIN file (maximum size of all the extracted files), which is the BIOS file (equivalent to the "FD" file referred in the guide). This BIN file can be opened in the Phoenix tool.

The rest of the guide matched exactly for me, till the point where we use the IFR tool. The attached IFR tool (v0.6) kept crashing consistently when I clicked on the extract button. I kept trying over and over, and it worked ONCE. I have attached the output text file. Searching this file, I found no "DVMT"!

Then I downloaded the IFR tool from the Github link (https://github.com/donovan6000/Universal-IFR-Extractor). This was an older version (v0.5). But this version worked right away. The extracted file had two "DVMT" strings: "DVMT Pre-Allocated" and "DVMT Total Gfx Mem". File attached.

One more strange thing: the "DVMT Pre-Allocated" options are not as shown in the guide. The highest option is 64 MB. The "DVMT Total Gfx Mem" setting has "128M", "256M" and "Max" as options. So, in case I do need to patch my BIOS, how do I do it?

Attachments

• variable_extract_0.5.txt.zip
    187.9 KB · Views: 159
  • variable_extract_0.6.txt.zip
    172.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Just clarifying. I am not using the minStolenSize patch on 10.12.1 . Mac shows "VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB". QE/CI works. Windows shows 128 MB Dedicated Video Memory.

This means, I do not need to patch my BIOS, right?

Windows indication is not relevant/not reliable... ignore.
If you can run the drivers without changing the DVMT-prealloc setting, then you don't need the patch, nor do you need to change it. Sort of a "don't fix what ain't broken" sort of thing.

My 2 cents correction to Lenovo Yoga 500 15IBD. Use other method to unlock hidden bios tabs and set all dvmt to max.View attachment 230843

Hello!

How Did you do it? I want to know how do it because I got a Lenovo Z70-80 and I can install mac on it but video graphics is impossible to set it.

Please. Tell me your method.

I have some problems here some help would be nice .
Alienware 15 r1 2015 , I cannot find the Rom file , cause I have diffrent laptop than what the guide is for , and I have ROM's from 2.5 mb to 535kb .
Another problem is that I cannot open the Any ROm file using the Universal IFR extractor , I get "unknown protocol" error . Can someone please help ?
Thanx !
Edit . got it !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back