Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting The USB Installer Using OpenCore

I understand now.

<<We will be using Windows for this tutorial, only the recovery will be installed to the USB stick, this means that when you boot to the installation, it will require internet access to be able to download and install macOS>>

[Tutorial] How to download macos directly from apple

Last edited:
I understand now, How can i download full install?

<<We will be using Windows for this tutorial, only the recovery will be installed to the USB stick, this means that when you boot to the installation, it will require internet access to be able to download and install macOS>>
by using a mac or a working hackintosh

I got macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (openCore) installed on my T440p. But still I need boot from USB.
How can I boot from new Catalina? In past we must install clover on laptop. How can I do it with openCore?

Thanks

I got macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (openCore) installed on my T440p. But still I need boot from USB.
How can I boot from new Catalina? In past we must install clover on laptop. How can I do it with openCore?

Thanks
you would just copy the EFI folder into the EFI partition on your usb or hard drive

you would just copy the EFI folder into the EFI partition on your usb or hard drive
DONE! My Catalina is working it self!
I have dual installation and i will try to upgrade one of them to Big Sur
Thanks!

DONE! My Catalina is working it self!
I have dual installation and i will try to upgrade one of them to Big Sur
Thanks!

Upgraded to Big Sur 11.6.7 Without any change on EFI folder!
Testing!

Thanks

I'm confused .... This are steps I have followed to install Catalina, and upgrade to Big Sur on my T440p. Only this

You will be wanting to change:
AAPL,ig-platform-id
device-id
model

Read post 2 for configurations

Haswell
Device Properties - Add - PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
AAPL,ig-platform-id -> 0500260A (for HD5000, HD5100 and HD5200)
AAPL,ig-platform-id -> 0600260A (for HD4200, HD4400 and HD4600)
device-id -> 12040000 (for HD4200, HD4400 and HD4600 ONLY)

kernel - quirks:
enable:
DisableIoMapper
PanicNoKextDump
PowerTimeoutKernelPanic

SystemProductName:
MacBookPro11,1

UEFI -> Quirks:
enable:
IgnoreInvalidFlexRatio
ReleaseUsbOwnership

Nothing about this

Despite this guide is in Big Sur Section, I highly recommend at this time to install Catalina so you can perform proper USB discovery using this guide:
after installation, reason being is that XhciPortLimit is broken in Big Sur and Monterey and is required for USB port discovery.

I just have used your EFI folder ....

Once you have Catalina installed and the above USBPorts.kext correctly configured, then you can update to latest OpenCore and kexts and then upgrade to Big Sur or Monterey

How can I update to last OpenCore and kexts? I need audio etc

PD: Now looking on help-me-understand-how-to-upgrade-opencore

Last edited:
I'm confused .... This are steps I have followed to install Catalina, and upgrade to Big Sur on my T440p. Only this

Nothing about this

I just have used your EFI folder ....

How can I update to last OpenCore and kexts? I need audio etc

PD: Now looking on help-me-understand-how-to-upgrade-opencore

the idea is to install Catalina first and then do the USB setup as XhciPortLimit is broken in later versions of macOS

you can use hackintool to scan and download kexts or go to the github to download the latest kexts

the idea is to install Catalina first and then do the USB setup as XhciPortLimit is broken in later versions of macOS

you can use hackintool to scan and download kexts or go to the github to download the latest kexts

Yes, I understand the idea. I used it on my Mojave, but it works for me on Catalina without setup XhciPortLimit ...

Back