Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting The USB Installer Using OpenCore

That's actually my repo. It's a clone of Khanaset's working Dell 7373 EFI where I was trying to get to the installer, too. I'll see if I can merge some of the settings from the two.

I made it a little further by adding a section to SSDT-EC.aml. I'm going to start a new thread so I don't clog up yours. When (if?) we find a fix, I'll crosspost a link in this thread to help other people.

SSDT-EC.aml addition:
Code:
External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.ECDV, DeviceObj)

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.ECDV)
    {
        Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
        {
            If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
            {
                Return (0)
            }
            Else
            {
                Return (0x0F)
            }
        }
    }

Last edited:
I made it a little further by adding a section to SSDT-EC.aml. I'm going to start a new thread so I don't clog up yours. When (if?) we find a fix, I'll crosspost a link in this thread to help other people.

SSDT-EC.aml addition:
Code:
External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.ECDV, DeviceObj)

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.ECDV)
    {
        Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
        {
            If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
            {
                Return (0)
            }
            Else
            {
                Return (0x0F)
            }
        }
    }
sometimes on Laptop hacks, you can just do the rename instead of using SSDT-EC.aml

with a fresh DSDT, search for PNP0C09 and see what Device it is under: ie:

EC0
H_EC
ECDV
PGEC

and then do the rename as per your device:
change EC0 to EC 4543305f 45435f5f
change H_EC to EC 485f4543 45435f5f
change ECDV to EC 45434456 45435f5f
change PGEC to EC 50474543 45435f5f

Can you please explain the steps?
you would format a USB as HFS which will then give you a hidden EFI partition which you can then mount to add your EFI folder once you have made changes, boot fro it and see it macOS boots

sometimes on Laptop hacks, you can just do the rename instead of using SSDT-EC.aml

with a fresh DSDT, search for PNP0C09 and see what Device it is under: ie:

EC0
H_EC
ECDV
PGEC

and then do the rename as per your device:
change EC0 to EC 4543305f 45435f5f
change H_EC to EC 485f4543 45435f5f
change ECDV to EC 45434456 45435f5f
change PGEC to EC 50474543 45435f5f
Thanks Feartech. I had tried that (I have ECDV). Using rename instead of the EC in SSDT-EC.aml caused it to lock up earlier in the process. It looks like at the same spot as before I added those lines to SSDT-EC.aml. I didn't fully disable the SSDT-EC.aml because the USBX is still needed. Instead, I commented out the EC and ECDV Externals and the Scope/Devices below in the dsl, then recompiled (clean), and saved the aml back to ACPI. Then I added the patch.

I may have made an incorrect assumption about "getting further". To your practiced eye, can you tell which boot sequence is further along? I see many differences, but can't really tell which one better.

mpo_policy_init freeze:
20200425_080258.jpg

apfs_module_start freeze
20200426_070345.jpg

FYI, on propertree there's a feature called OC Snapshot that can generate ACPI,Kext Names,driver,and tools to config.plist based your OC folder. If you have a bunch of kext this feature would make easier for you to rename all kext in OC config.plist

hi, for me all the tests of departure from usb failed.my Dell is very same at Michmill .catalina with clover is fantastic work very well. I send my clover config.plist if anyone know how to turn for opencore.
regars

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 109
how do I switch my current setup from Clover to OpenCore?

how do I switch my current setup from Clover to OpenCore?
once you have a working OC usb then you can replace the EFI from the usb to your hard drive EFI

hi, for me all the tests of departure from usb failed.my Dell is very same at Michmill .catalina with clover is fantastic work very well. I send my clover config.plist if anyone know how to turn for opencore.
regars
your config.plist is for clover only, it will not work for OpenCore

Back