Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting The USB Installer Using OpenCore

Thanks for the great guide!
One quick question, can I back it up with "time machine" after installation and backup the "efi" separately and if anything goes wrong, on the recovery of bootable usb just choose the backup from the "time machine" ? and then later put in the efi? (Just trying to avoid re-downloading the whole thing again via the installer for now)

Thanks for the great guide!
One quick question, can I back it up with "time machine" after installation and backup the "efi" separately and if anything goes wrong, on the recovery of bootable usb just choose the backup from the "time machine" ? and then later put in the efi? (Just trying to avoid re-downloading the whole thing again via the installer for now)
never tried the time machine recovery approach, but you are certainly welcome to try it and report your findings :)

never tried the time machine recovery approach, but you are certainly welcome to try it and report your findings :)
Thank you so much for the reply, I'm getting one "time machine" backup to retry if things go wrong :) based on your suggestion.

What recovery approach do you use? Could you please tell me?

Thank you so much for the reply, I'm getting one "time machine" backup to retry if things go wrong :) based on your suggestion.

What recovery approach do you use? Could you please tell me?
mostly i would clean install, i have backups of apps/data on a separate usb hard drive that i can copy back over if i need it

mostly i would clean install, i have backups of apps/data on a separate usb hard drive that i can copy back over if i need it
Makes sense one more relevant question to the topic. (Hopefully one of the last ones :) Sorry if I'm boring you)

I used windows with your recovery method, to install the current version of MacOS (the latest was 10.15.7) since now I have access to the MacOS, when my post-install is complete would it make sense to upgrade to "big sur" or "montery"?

And if yes, how would I do it?

Makes sense one more relevant question to the topic. (Hopefully one of the last ones :) Sorry if I'm boring you)

I used windows with your recovery method, to install the current version of MacOS (the latest was 10.15.7) since now I have access to the MacOS, when my post-install is complete would it make sense to upgrade to "big sur" or "montery"?

And if yes, how would I do it?
you will want to make sure you are using the latest version of OpenCore for Monterey and makes sure your kexts are up to date
when you upgrade OpenCore, you need to check your config.plist with the sample.plist and make any changes/amendments

then run the tool ocvalidate that comes with opencore on your edited config.plist to make sure of no errors

then you can download Monterey from appstore or from system update in preferences

Looks like even big sur has a lot of problems :(

CAUTION: With macOS 11.3 and newer, XhciPortLimit is broken resulting in boot loops (opens new window). We advise users either install an older OS(ie. macOS 10.15, Catalina) or find a 11.2.3 or older Big Sur installer

Just to be sure I'll make a new partition to install big sur on it, so nothing would happen to the catalina.

Now I notice the gibMacOS has only these versions of big sur (or only shows these at least).

1. macOS Big Sur 11.6.1 (20G224)

- 002-23589 - Added 2021-12-01 21:44:37 - 12.43 GB

2. macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)

- 002-23774 - Added 2021-12-01 21:42:57 - 12.13 GB

3. macOS Big Sur 11.6 (20G165)

- 071-97382 - Added 2021-09-17 18:52:42 - 12.43 GB

4. macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 (20G95)

- 071-78704 - Added 2021-08-18 18:28:53 - 12.45 GB

According to that caution we better not update!
Sounds weird.

Looks like even big sur has a lot of problems :(

Just to be sure I'll make a new partition to install big sur on it, so nothing would happen to the catalina.

Now I notice the gibMacOS has only these version of big sur (or only shows these at least).

1. macOS Big Sur 11.6.1 (20G224)

- 002-23589 - Added 2021-12-01 21:44:37 - 12.43 GB

2. macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)

- 002-23774 - Added 2021-12-01 21:42:57 - 12.13 GB

3. macOS Big Sur 11.6 (20G165)

- 071-97382 - Added 2021-09-17 18:52:42 - 12.43 GB

4. macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 (20G95)

- 071-78704 - Added 2021-08-18 18:28:53 - 12.45 GB

According to that cation we better not update!
Sounds weird.
basically I recommend to install catalina and then make sure to have done this correctly:
because you need XhciPortLimit to setup the usb ports correctly

then you can update to Big Sur / Monterey if you want/need it

and yes, also gibmacos does not have recovery options for big sur or monterey like Catalina does

Hi Feartech, I am trying to set up a HP EliteBook 830 G3, Kaby Lake. I started optimistic witch Monterey and OC 7.5 and I followed Dortanias guide buy the letter. I have now also followed your guide here and used Catalina and your OC folder with a corrected configplist for my cpu. But no matter what I do it always ends up with a stop at AppleIntelLpssI2Controller. I also tried to add the Voodool2C kext project, but as I understand I have to get an install before I can get those to work. Does it have something to do with my trackpad? Is it possible to solve you think? Some obviously has installed on similar laptops with Clover, but I don't want to get back to that since it will be too confusing for me. I extracted some info from Linux as you can see if you have time.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 61
Back