Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting The USB Installer Using OpenCore

Hello bro. Can you install the EFI file for USB bootable Mac OS on the Surface Book 2???My Surface Book Specifications:
i5 7300U
Intel HD Graphics 620
Geforce GTX 1050
Ram 8GB

Hello bro. Can you install the EFI file for USB bootable Mac OS on the Surface Book 2???My Surface Book Specifications:
i5 7300U
Intel HD Graphics 620
Geforce GTX 1050
Ram 8GB
no because i do not have that machine, but you can certainly try it

also read the faq for proper hardware profile setup, your geforce card is not supported

Yeah, got you, I am just confused because the kexts for Intel WiFi typically need to be loaded post-installation, and I'm not sure what kext to use if I use a USB adaptor, so probably just going to try it out and see if it works! :).

Hello @RohitKarthik I have a Pavilion 15 cs-3009na - so cs3xxx pavilion 15 laptop - did you make any progress with your HP Pavilion 15-cs3153cl? Manage to get MacOS installed? If so, could I please ask you to share your EFI folder? I have made several attempts, have MocOS Big Sur booting on two other laptops, but this Ice Lake is causing me problems - I think may be graphics related.

Yeah, got you, I am just confused because the kexts for Intel WiFi typically need to be loaded post-installation, and I'm not sure what kext to use if I use a USB adaptor, so probably just going to try it out and see if it works! :).
Hello. I am having problems in booting the BugSur 11.2.3 using the attached OC EFI folder. I have been trying to get this working with several versions of OC (up to the latest) and have tried different versions of Big Sur.

I have a HP Pavilion cs-3009na with a Core i5 1035G1, 16GB DDR4 RAM (2x 8GB 2666Mhz) and have a Windows installation on the NVMe drive - and would likt to install MacOS on an internal SSD.

I have tried different UBS keys and different USB ports (all of them are USB3 speed - one USB-C connector and 2 USB A connectors). I have made my MacOS Big Sur Installer on MacOS using a full installer download of Bug Sur 11.2.3

Attached is my EFI folder. I have a locked BIOS and so do not have access to advanced settings to turn off config loc (I upgraded my BIOS when trying to get the Big Sur installer starting - and with the new version Ctrl-F10 does not show the advanced options and I cannot set CFG_LOCK to off. I also never had a XCHI handover setting.)

I see that RohitKarthik has the same series mother board as I do (Pavilion 15 cs3xxxx) but he has not been active on the forum for some months.

Could anyone possible push me in the right direction to try to fix what is working. I am a complete OC noob, but have been getting MacOS to run on x86 hardware for over 15 years. I was previously using clover, but do not want to go down that path as it seems to be dying slowly.

Screenshot show where I get to in my boot of the Big Sur Installer
1634988240561.jpeg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 55
Hello. I am having problems in booting the BugSur 11.2.3 using the attached OC EFI folder. I have been trying to get this working with several versions of OC (up to the latest) and have tried different versions of Big Sur.

I have a HP Pavilion cs-3009na with a Core i5 1035G1, 16GB DDR4 RAM (2x 8GB 2666Mhz) and have a Windows installation on the NVMe drive - and would likt to install MacOS on an internal SSD.

I have tried different UBS keys and different USB ports (all of them are USB3 speed - one USB-C connector and 2 USB A connectors). I have made my MacOS Big Sur Installer on MacOS using a full installer download of Bug Sur 11.2.3

Attached is my EFI folder. I have a locked BIOS and so do not have access to advanced settings to turn off config loc (I upgraded my BIOS when trying to get the Big Sur installer starting - and with the new version Ctrl-F10 does not show the advanced options and I cannot set CFG_LOCK to off. I also never had a XCHI handover setting.)

I see that RohitKarthik has the same series mother board as I do (Pavilion 15 cs3xxxx) but he has not been active on the forum for some months.

Could anyone possible push me in the right direction to try to fix what is working. I am a complete OC noob, but have been getting MacOS to run on x86 hardware for over 15 years. I was previously using clover, but do not want to go down that path as it seems to be dying slowly.

Screenshot show where I get to in my boot of the Big Sur Installer
View attachment 531681

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
XhciPortLimit is broken in Big Sur, you should disable it

no reason to have all these enabled:
Code:
<key>Drivers</key>
        <array>
            <string>HfsPlus.efi</string>
            <string>OpenRuntime.efi</string>
            <string>AudioDxe.efi</string>
            <string>CrScreenshotDxe.efi</string>
            <string>HiiDatabase.efi</string>
            <string>NvmExpressDxe.efi</string>
            <string>OpenCanopy.efi</string>
            <string>OpenHfsPlus.efi</string>
            <string>OpenPartitionDxe.efi</string>
            <string>OpenUsbKbDxe.efi</string>
            <string>Ps2KeyboardDxe.efi</string>
            <string>Ps2MouseDxe.efi</string>
            <string>UsbMouseDxe.efi</string>
            <string>XhciDxe.efi</string>
        </array>

XhciPortLimit is broken in Big Sur, you should disable it

no reason to have all these enabled:
Code:
<key>Drivers</key>
        <array>
            <string>HfsPlus.efi</string>
            <string>OpenRuntime.efi</string>
            <string>AudioDxe.efi</string>
            <string>CrScreenshotDxe.efi</string>
            <string>HiiDatabase.efi</string>
            <string>NvmExpressDxe.efi</string>
            <string>OpenCanopy.efi</string>
            <string>OpenHfsPlus.efi</string>
            <string>OpenPartitionDxe.efi</string>
            <string>OpenUsbKbDxe.efi</string>
            <string>Ps2KeyboardDxe.efi</string>
            <string>Ps2MouseDxe.efi</string>
            <string>UsbMouseDxe.efi</string>
            <string>XhciDxe.efi</string>
        </array>
Thank you for such a prompt reply.
Thank you - I have disabled XhciPortLimit as suggested. I though I might need that - and wondering if I need to create / include a USB port map to get the installer starting OK? A little confused as to the USB port breaking in Big Sur 11.3 (the reason why I chose the 11.2.3 to install).

I had already started to remove some of the unneeded ACPI files. Have left only these:
1634991249413.png

Here is my revised config.plist and a screenshot of where I am getting to (not much further unfortunately).

Any ideas? Thanks.

1634991555450.jpeg

Attachments

• config.plist
    34.8 KB · Views: 46
Thank you for such a prompt reply.
Thank you - I have disabled XhciPortLimit as suggested. I though I might need that - and wondering if I need to create / include a USB port map to get the installer starting OK? A little confused as to the USB port breaking in Big Sur 11.3 (the reason why I chose the 11.2.3 to install).

I had already started to remove some of the unneeded ACPI files. Have left only these:
View attachment 531684

Here is my revised config.plist and a screenshot of where I am getting to (not much further unfortunately).

Any ideas? Thanks.

View attachment 531685
read post 2 of the guide, also you do not have Intel HD530 Graphics...

read post 2 of the guide, also you do not have Intel HD530 Graphics...

Thank you. I think I'm getting my files messed up. Have started again with a clean directory structure.

I have tried booting from an internal HDD with OC EFI partition and Big Sur installer partition as well. very occasionally, I get as far as a kernel panic, but more often it hangs after PCI initialisation completion. If it gets to show the kernel panic, it happens just after that Screenshot attached, as well as latest config.plist.

Any further ideas are welcome! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_153141.jpg
    IMG_20211023_153141.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
  • config.plist
    34.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Thank you. I think I'm getting my files messed up. Have started again with a clean directory structure.

I have tried booting from an internal HDD with OC EFI partition and Big Sur installer partition as well. very occasionally, I get as far as a kernel panic, but more often it hangs after PCI initialisation completion. If it gets to show the kernel panic, it happens just after that Screenshot attached, as well as latest config.plist.

Any further ideas are welcome! Thanks.
guide files are in post 1

does anyone have an efi folder for my pc specc
if so please share
thanks.

Back