Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

I was able to successfully install High Sierra on my Dell Inspiron 5520. Booting from USB is fine, however I can't seem to boot directly from HDD after following this guide (especially on "Notes on HDD install" part). I get stuck on Apple booting logo without progress bar forever.
Is there anything I have to triple check?

Make sure you configure Clover exactly as you did for USB (config.plist, kexts/Other, drivers64UEFI).

Why?
The hardware in your profile should support UEFI.
I am not that much quite certain because I see EFI on the save & exit tab. I uploaded the screenshot for better understanding.

Attachments

• P_20180629_231528.jpg
    P_20180629_231528.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 88
I am not that much quite certain because I see EFI on the save & exit tab. I uploaded the screenshot for better understanding.

Most laptops Haswell and later have UEFI (yours is Broadwell, so it is one generation after Haswell).

pretty sure you have UEFI

pretty sure you have UEFI
That's the BIOS that shows in when I keep pressing F2 or on boot selection which is ESC. I really don't know if this is Legacy or UEFI. As far as I know, UEFI BIOS settings can be toggle by using a mouse while Legacy needs to use the keyboard itself. Any clues on this one so that I can figure it out?

That's the BIOS that shows in when I keep pressing F2 or on boot selection which is ESC. I really don't know if this is Legacy or UEFI. As far as I know, UEFI BIOS settings can be toggle by using a mouse while Legacy needs to use the keyboard itself. Any clues on this one so that I can figure it out?

UEFI BIOS does not imply the BIOS setup has a graphical interface (mouse/etc).
You should make sure you have the latest BIOS.
Then check the various options available in BIOS setup (you will likely find options related to UEFI vs. legacy).
And you can check in Windows to see if it is booting in UEFI mode (likely).
If your HDD/SSD is GPT (eg. Windows is installed on GPT), then you're already booting Windows UEFI (Windows UEFI always installs to GPT, whereas legacy Windows always installs to MBR).

UEFI BIOS does not imply the BIOS setup has a graphical interface (mouse/etc).
You should make sure you have the latest BIOS.
Then check the various options available in BIOS setup (you will likely find options related to UEFI vs. legacy).
And you can check in Windows to see if it is booting in UEFI mode (likely).
If your HDD/SSD is GPT (eg. Windows is installed on GPT), then you're already booting Windows UEFI (Windows UEFI always installs to GPT, whereas legacy Windows always installs to MBR).

Thanks for the heads up, I checked my msinfo32 and it shows that the BIOS was UEFI. That really helped a lot but I still have questions though, since I am using an SSD on my laptop, should I follow this since I am installing High Sierra:

If you're installing High Sierra (10.13) to an SSD, keep in mind that the file system will be APFS, which requires apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI. Without apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI, Clover will not recognize APFS boot volumes. You can find apfs.efi at /usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi inside of "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg".

or the notes under Notes on HDD install?

Thanks for the heads up, I checked my msinfo32 and it shows that the BIOS was UEFI. That really helped a lot but I still have questions though, since I am using an SSD on my laptop, should I follow this since I am installing High Sierra:

or the notes under Notes on HDD install?

HDD install notes apply to both SSD and HDD (of course).
Your choice regarding APFS vs. HFS+J.
Keep in mind Apple is pretty much forcing APFS on 10.14.

Preparing essential kexts

Remove EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, leaving just 'Other'

Hello @RehabMan
I am using Clover_v2.4k_r4586 and after I have my EFI image on the USB, I found that there are 10.11 up to 10.14 along with 'Other' in EFI/CLOVER/kexts. What should I do with them? should I just remove, keeping only 'Other' and continue with rest of the guide?

I plan to install 10.13.5 on my T440 Lenovo Laptop without any need of multi boot.

Thanks.

Back