Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

Hi Sir RehabMan,

Thank you so much for suggesting clover legacy. Could you also recommend which macOS to install? The Graphics seems to be integrated and CPU is 2.3Ghz dual core...

The i5-2410M has HD3000. You can install any version 10.6.8 through 10.13.1.

Thank you!!!
and even high sierra :)

suppose it is a matter of preference, trial and error some out and see how you get on with them :)

Installing to the HDD/SSD after installation is very similar to installing to the USB. Refer back to this section when you get to that stage.

Notes on HDD install:
- you might want "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi", but it would depend on whether native NVRAM works for you (most Skylake hardware has non-functional native NVRAM with OS X/macOS)
- select "Install RC scripts on target volume" and/or "Install all RC scripts on all other boot volumes", but not for USB
- selecting "Install Clover Preference Pane" is optional
- there are also some "Optional RC Scripts" you might want to read about
- if you're installing Clover legacy, check "Install Clover in the ESP"

After making your selections you can continue to "Install" the Clover bootloader to your USB.

Hi Sir Rehabman, could you please help to clearify here if Notes on HDD install refers to preferences of Clover installation on USB drives or otherwise? Can you let me know if these settings need to be applied to clover installation or I should revisit them later on when installing macOS to a second blank HDD drive?
Also regarding NVRAM how can I check if it works on my HP pc? Do I need to reboot my PC and press f1/f2(haven't tried with my bios settings). Does it matter if i don't verify it since it takes 2 mins to restart my windows.....

Installing to the HDD/SSD after installation is very similar to installing to the USB. Refer back to this section when you get to that stage.

Notes on HDD install:
- you might want "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi", but it would depend on whether native NVRAM works for you (most Skylake hardware has non-functional native NVRAM with OS X/macOS)
- select "Install RC scripts on target volume" and/or "Install all RC scripts on all other boot volumes", but not for USB
- selecting "Install Clover Preference Pane" is optional
- there are also some "Optional RC Scripts" you might want to read about

After making your selections you can continue to "Install" the Clover bootloader to your USB.

Hi Sir Rehabman, could you please help to clearify here if
Notes on HDD install
refers to preferences of Clover installation on USB drives or otherwise? Can you let me know if these settings need to be applied to clover installation or I should revisit them later on when installing macOS to a second blank HDD drive?

The reason I'm asking it is

For Clover legacy, run the Clover Installer package:
-"Install Clover in the ESP" will be unchecked
are these referring to the same installation? As I need to use clover legacy mode to install osx to an HDD .

Also regarding NVRAM how can I check if it works on my HP pc? Do I need to reboot my PC and press f1/f2(haven't tried with my bios settings). Does it matter if i don't verify it since it takes 2 mins to restart my windows.....

Last edited:
Hi Sir Rehabman, could you please help to clearify here if Notes on HDD install refers to preferences of Clover installation on USB drives or otherwise? Can you let me know if these settings need to be applied to clover installation or I should revisit them later on when installing macOS to a second blank HDD drive?

Typically, installing Clover to USB is done only for the installer.
You can test your NVRAM by using 'nvram' in Terminal to set a variable, rebooting, and then checking it with 'nvram -p' to see if the variable survived the restart.

Typically, installing Clover to USB is done only for the installer.
Dear Rehabman, could you let me know if I should check
Install Clover in the ESP
for clover legacy to install osx on HDD?

As in:
For Clover legacy, run the Clover Installer package:
-"Install Clover in the ESP" will be unchecked

Back