Contribute
Register

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

Anyone have dual disk/dual boot systems? I have osx on one SSD with clover on it and another with windows 10 ntfs fs.
will apfs try anything funny with the second drive or would it be smart to force high sierra to use the original filesystem and not the new one. just curious. thanks
You could always just unplug that Windows drive during installation...

I recall pikeralpha was concerned that 3rd party SSDs may not contain the firmware for error correction that a real Apple SSD has, and that APFS relies on this said error correction. Is this still something to worry about? I'm hesitant to update my Hack (I'd rather wait to upgrade to HS until APFS is safe rather than stay on HFS+ (APFS is the only reason for me to upgrade right now)). I'm telling my bro with a real Mac using an OWC to wait as well until I hear that slow data corruption won't be an issue...

Hello everybody,

I have small problem when i upgrade sierra to high sierra in verbose mode my system bug in : SATA warning and kernel panic.

If you have any solution? thanks.

Read post #1 carefully.

Sure read first!!

But very difficult!!!!!

I cant find minstallconfig xml!!n

My install usb made here

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Last edited:
As you already know, macOS High Sierra includes a new file system APFS. If your system drive is solid state, the installer will convert from HFS+J to APFS in both a fresh install scenario and an update scenario.

Fortunately, there a ways around this automatic conversion. It is controlled by the ConvertToAPFS option in /macOS Install Data/minstallconfig.xml.

Update scenario

The update scenario is a little bit easier than the fresh install procedures, as there is a command line tool we can run that sets ConvertToAPFS false with a command line option.

After downloading the 10.13 installer, instead of running it, quit.

Then in Terminal:
Code:
/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

The system will copy some files, then reboot, and you'll be able to start the installer (without APFS conversion) by booting the "Boot macOS Install from ..." option in Clover.

Fresh install scenario

Refer to this guide for an overview of the installation process from USB:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

The process involves creating an installer USB with createinstallmedia, then booting that USB (via Clover on the same USB). You then run the installer create an HFS+J partition suitable for macOS with Disk Utility, then point the installer to that partition.

Even though you create a new HFS+J partition, if the target is an SSD, the installer will still convert it to APFS.

To avoid that, after running the installer, and upon the first reboot where you would be normally directing Clover to boot the next stage of the installer by selecting "Boot macOS Install from ...", instead boot the "install_osx" partition on USB again. When that is finished booting, choose Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Now, in Terminal, navigate to your target volume:
Code:
# list /Volumes to remind yourself of the name you gave it
ls -l /Volumes
# then change your working directory to it (in my case, I used '1013')
cd /Volumes/1013
# now change to the "macOS Install Data" directory
cd "macOS Install Data"

Now, still in Terminal, edit the minstallconfig.xml file with vi:
Code:
vi minstallconfig.xml

You will find code:
Code:
    <key>ConvertToAPFS</key>
    <true/>

Your goal is to change the true to false.

If you know how to use vi, this will not be a problem. Otherwise, follow the instructions below very carefully:
- arrow such that the cursor is at the 't' in 'true'
- press the Del key (forward delete) four times (this removes 'true')
- press i (this puts vi into insert mode)
- type 'false' (without the quotes)
- press Esc (this takes vi out of insert mode)

The result should look like:
Code:
    <key>ConvertToAPFS</key>
    <false/>

If the file looks good:
- press ':wq' (without the quotes) and press enter (':wq' saves the file and exits vi)

If the file doesn't look right, don't save it:
- press ':q!' (without the quotes) and press enter

That's it! Now you're ready to quit Terminal, reboot, and continue the installation process by booting the "Boot macOS Install from ..." partition. When you're done, you'll have a fresh install on HFS+J instead of APFS.

Background information

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/48793
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324194-pre-release-macos-high-sierra/page-191#entry2497909

RehabMan,

Nice and thanks for one more fabulous Guide.

Another issues, do know something about when click in "about this mac" in 10.13 don't work? maybe a firmware conflict or missing SMBIOS?

Best Regards.

Anyone have dual disk/dual boot systems? I have osx on one SSD with clover on it and another with windows 10 ntfs fs.
will apfs try anything funny with the second drive or would it be smart to force high sierra to use the original filesystem and not the new one. just curious. thanks

The installer will only convert the macOS system volume to APFS.
All other volumes, no matter which disk they are on, will not be converted.

Last edited:
Another issues, do know something about when click in "about this mac" in 10.13 don't work? maybe a firmware conflict or missing SMBIOS?

Off-topic.
Open a separate thread with "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.

Sure read first!!

But very difficult!!!!!

I cant find minstallconfig xml!!n

My install usb made here

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

minstallconfig.xml is something you edit *after* you have completed the first stage of installation (eg. must boot the USB installer once to copy the related files to /macOS Install Data).

It is quite clear in post #1, but you're not reading carefully.

createinstallmedia is just the program you run to create the installer USB. It is not "running the installer"... "running the installer" is accomplished by actually booting the installer from USB and going through the first stage.

Very helpful thanks, but I have a noob question, from the first 10.13 beta till today I haven't had problems with converting to APFS (or at least thats what I think), so whats the benefit of avoid the APFS?

Did you even think to read the thread?

Your question is answered in post #7.

Back