Register

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

Motherboard
MSI Z270i
CPU
i5-7600k
Graphics
GTX 1080
Yes. TRIM is enabled at a lower level than file system choice.
Hmm, so I may be better off just booting off a slower, non-NVME SSD formatted with HFS+J

If I then stored my applications and documents on the NVME would that be fine with boot or will boot be slowed just because of the presence of an NVME even if it isn't being used as the boot drive.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hmm, so I may be better off just booting off a slower, non-NVME SSD formatted with HFS+J
The problem can be avoided with HFS+J because we can disable TRIM.

If I then stored my applications and documents on the NVME would that be fine with boot or will boot be slowed just because of the presence of an NVME even if it isn't being used as the boot drive.
Will probably still be a problem as a full TRIM will still likely be performed. It is something you could always try. I use NVMe only for Windows currently.

Motherboard
Gigabyte P55 USB3 (legacy BIOS)
CPU
i5 750
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
iMac, LC
Mobile Phone
Android
Thanks for all the information on this topic - I was able to sucessfully install HS 10.13.6 on a Samsung 840 EVO SSD with the .xml tweak.
The system seems to work well bar some driver issues BUT I can only boot off the installer USB. Further investigation revealed that the SSD only has the single partition and no EFI boot partition. Previously I had installed using APFS, also succesfully, and noticed that there were FOUR partitions created by the installer including EFI, Recovery, the main system and a preinstaller (I forget the details).

Has the xml hack resulted in the installer not creating the necessary boot partition?

Many thanks,
Frog

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-Clover
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD530 + GTX 950m 1920 x 1080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
Thanks for all the information on this topic - I was able to sucessfully install HS 10.13.6 on a Samsung 840 EVO SSD with the .xml tweak.
The system seems to work well bar some driver issues BUT I can only boot off the installer USB. Further investigation revealed that the SSD only has the single partition and no EFI boot partition. Previously I had installed using APFS, also succesfully, and noticed that there were FOUR partitions created by the installer including EFI, Recovery, the main system and a preinstaller (I forget the details).

Has the xml hack resulted in the installer not creating the necessary boot partition?

Many thanks,
Frog
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS

Many thanks,
Frog
You must install Clover to the EFI partition. No expectation that Apple's software will install Clover for you...

Motherboard
CPU
i5 750
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
iMac, LC
Mobile Phone
Android
You must install Clover to the EFI partition. No expectation that Apple's software will install Clover for you...
I'm using a clover installer on USB in conjunction with the HS Install app. I'm a bit confused about the EFI partition and whether that it is a bit of necessary code that is always present and created by the Apple installer or purely a Clover created hack that fools Apple software into booting on a non Apple machine.

I've done several installs from El Cap onwards and the EFI partition was always created as part of the process of using UniBeast so I was wondering if the hack to disable APFS was disrupting the install. I've followed your instructions but only the one big volume is being created:

Create bootable USB using UniBeast and boot from it choosing the external file on the USB
Open Disk Utility and wipe SSD with HFS Journaled (creating large partition that fills SSD)
Click install to add files to SSD
Reboot with USB and choose USB installer to boot from again
Run Terminal and do the xml change
Reboot from USB and boot from (modified) installer on SSD
Keep choosing SSD installer after reboots until complete

This results in a working system and the file system being correct but just one partition on the SSD and no EFI or other partitions.

Thanks for your help and any guidance is most appreciated.

Motherboard
CPU
i5 750
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
iMac, LC
Mobile Phone
Android
Tried another install same result. Screen grab of Disk Utility:

Is this what you would see on a real Mac - IE no other partitions as the hardware is capable of natively recognising and booting from a Mac partition? I note that Windows installs routinely create several invisible partitions as part of a normal install.

Last edited: