Motherboard
Lenovo V330 - 15IKB
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620 /1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
Piker Alpha mentioned that apfs can cause problems with corruption due to hacks not having true Apple bios. I too have had corruption issues with apfs on some setups but others are fine.

Another method to avoid apfs is to do a direct install to an external USB drive or USB to Sata adapter. Doing this installs in HFS mode.
Yes, i have read his post about APFS.
However "vit9696" the guy who created (shiki.kext,lilu.kext,appleALC.kext) seems that he started on a modded apfs package for hackintosh.
https://github.com/acidanthera/ApfsSupportPkg
So i assume it won't be a problem to use apfs in a couple or months.

Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
Yes, i have read his post about APFS.
However "vit9696" the guy who created (shiki.kext,lilu.kext,appleALC.kext) seems that he started on a modded apfs package for hackintosh.
https://github.com/acidanthera/ApfsSupportPkg
So i assume it won't be a problem to use apfs in a couple or months.
When the bless command is used to make an APFS volume bootable, a copy of the APFS EFI driver (the version at /usr/standalone/i386) gets embedded in the APFS container. Apple's firmware is able to read the EFI driver from the container at boot using an ApfsJumpStartDriver that is part of the firmware.

ApfsSupportPkg is 2 EFI drivers and 2 ways to load the embedded APFS driver from the container partition. One loads Apple's own ApfsJumpStartDriver if you have a copy of it, and the other is a reverse engineered driver written from scratch.

Sniki

Motherboard
Lenovo V330 - 15IKB
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620 /1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
When the bless command is used to make an APFS volume bootable, a copy of the APFS EFI driver (the version at /usr/standalone/i386) gets embedded in the APFS container. Apple's firmware is able to read the EFI driver from the container at boot using an ApfsJumpStartDriver that is part of the firmware.

ApfsSupportPkg is 2 EFI drivers and 2 ways to load the embedded APFS driver from the container partition. One loads Apple's own ApfsJumpStartDriver if you have a copy of it, and the other is a reverse engineered driver written from scratch.
So the one from vit9696 should work both ways right ?

Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
So the one from vit9696 should work both ways right ?
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi loads apfs.efi directly
  • AppleLoadImage.efi loads ApfsJumpStart.efi (can be extracted from Apple firmware image using e.g. UEFITool)
The Clover package includes ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi, AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, PartitionDxe-64.efi. Conflicts/remove: OsxAptioFixDrv*, apfs.efi

Your firmware may include a PartitionDxe, otherwise it is mandatory.

CPU
I5-4200U/HM87
Graphics
HD4400 (1600x900) + GT 740M
Mobile Phone
iOS
How to Convert HFS to APFS without losing Data

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
How to Convert HFS to APFS without losing Data
Your question is really off-topic, but...

The conversion done by the macOS installer is lossless.

Motherboard
ASUS Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580 Pulse
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I know this thread was originally created on Sep 26, 2017...As of today, (almost a year later), is it still advised to avoid APFS on new Hackintosh builds with High Sierra and an NVMe SSD.

Secondly, are there still issues with Hackintosh setups using the Evo 970 series SSDs? If it's off topic, would appreciate if someones points me in the right direction. Thnx

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
I know this thread was originally created on Sep 26, 2017...As of today, (almost a year later), is it still advised to avoid APFS on new Hackintosh builds with High Sierra and an NVMe SSD.
Your decision. This guide just explains how to do it, it has no recommendation on whether to do it.

Secondly, are there still issues with Hackintosh setups using the Evo 970 series SSDs? If it's off topic, would appreciate if someones points me in the right direction. Thnx
I don't have any EVO 970 hardware. If it is NVMe, yes... NVMe issues still exist with non-Apple NVMe hardware.

Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H rev.1.0
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yup.
TRIM causes issues with APFS and non-Apple SSD hardware more than it did with HFS+J.

Converting back to HFS+ requires a fresh install.
How does one do this on a fresh install? I have the same Crucial M4 drive as you. When I boot from my USB install stick and go to Disk Utility, the only format option I have for that SSD is now APFS. The drop-down menu doesn't list anything else.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
How does one do this on a fresh install? I have the same Crucial M4 drive as you. When I boot from my USB install stick and go to Disk Utility, the only format option I have for that SSD is now APFS. The drop-down menu doesn't list anything else.
Show photo. Attach PR files as per FAQ.