Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Atari VCS (2020) Console

Cool project!

Re benchmarks, can you say more about why you are reporting GB4 measures?

GB5 re-normalized the baseline score to a lower number 3 years ago. So, publishing GB4 is a hazard. Inexperienced readers who are just learning to compare scores will get the wrong idea that this Atari is an outstanding performance leader. At the same time, it's uncommon for other current reports to use the GB4 scoring, so even the experienced readers must apply a scaling factor to make sense of it.

But maybe I'm not aware of some history that keeps GB4 alive?
Thanks @c-o-pr!

Yes I guess I should have been more aware about this before posting it.
But that said at the time GB5 was quite new and GB4 was still sort of relevant hence I posted it (I had some other boards using it too)
But yes GB5 had I believe a lower score.

I guess I might have looked at OP date: it was more than 16 mos ago! I hadn't even registered yet. So nvm :)

I forgot to also mention one thing...

I recently did a check on the specs of my Ryzen chip on the VCS, and noticed it has AVX 1.0 decoding.
Technically it should therefore provide some sort of acceleration. I am very curious as to why it isn't.
I suspect maybe it is due to the type of video memory employed (HBM2?).

Just heard some good news today for anyone with an Atari VCS (which has a AMD Raven IGPU chipset) running Monterey. There is now a new driver called NootedRed that should work with it (that is designed for AMD Vega iGPUs Ryzen 5XXX series and older via Lilu 1.6.4+ plugin). You may have to disable Whatevergreen as that conflicts with it.

> https://github.com/NootInc/NootedRed

Just heard some good news today for anyone with an Atari VCS (which has a AMD Raven IGPU chipset) running Monterey. There is now a new driver called NootedRed that should work with it (that is designed for AMD Vega iGPUs Ryzen 5XXX series and older via Lilu 1.6.4+ plugin). You may have to disable Whatevergreen as that conflicts with it.

> https://github.com/NootInc/NootedRed
Wow!, things are moving fast now, I checked the site a couple of weeks ago and they only had support for Ryzen 4XXX APUs. And Monterey didn't have full acceleration and was acting up, now Big Sur and Monterey and supported, very good news!.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

After 2 very long arduous years and countless hours of modding and testing I now give you...an Atari VCS with full 3D GPU acceleration from the Vega 3 GPU!

Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 2.53.15 PM-B.png

This is in no small part thanks to the efforts of the NootedRed team and our fellow member @craighazan. Thanks to his numerous tests and recent findings and me digging up on where I could set up the VRAM values for the VCS, I was finally able to get the hardware acceleration going.

Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 2.53.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 2.54.50 PM.png

Last edited:
After 2 very long arduous years and countless hours of modding and testing
Reminds of that old Jimmy Johns commercial. The sub delivery gets there before the old guy hangs up.

"What took ya so long ?"

Screen Shot.jpg

Back