Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS Zenbook UX360CAK (Catalina)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
> Need full CPU model name > See Rules!
Graphics
> Need model name or version number > See Forum Rules!
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 20th Anniv. Mac
  3. 512K
  4. Apple
  5. Centris
  6. Classic
  7. Color Classic
  8. eMac
  9. iBook
  10. iMac
  11. LC
  12. Lisa
  13. Performa
  14. Plus
  15. Portable
  16. Power Mac
  17. PowerBook
  18. Quadra
  19. SE
  20. Workgroup Server
  21. XL
  22. Xserve
  23. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
This is a guide for the Kabylake ASUS UX360CAK-AH51T, on Catalina.
Should work for the m3/i7 models as well.

This guide relies on you knowing the basics on how to set up a hackintosh.
If not, please head over to Rehabman's guides first;
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-unibeast.146864/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Updated 07-19-2020. Should work with Catalina 10.15.6
Kexts aren't attached here anymore - you'll need to download them from the Kexts.zip list.
if you want to use OpenCore, then first off I recommend you follow the dortania vanilla guide. Once that's complete, compare what you have to what is here - and add any touchpad, keyboard, or other patches as necessary.

System details:
8 GB LPDDR3 RAM (up to 16 I believe)​
Intel HD 615 GPU​
Kabylake-U/Y i5/m5-7y54​

What works:
  • Keyboard brightness/audio keys
  • Graphics acceleration
  • Sleep
  • Power management
  • Display backlight
  • Realtek ALC255 audio, jack
  • ELAN1200 trackpad or FTE1000 touchscreen, not both.
  • USB 2/3/type C
  • Micro HDMI port
  • Card Reader
  • Wifi + Bluetooth (I replaced the Intel 8260NGW card with a DW1560, works with DW1820A as well); set pci-aspm-default to 0 in config.plist properties.
What doesn't work:
  • Touchscreen and touchpad at the same time
  • Intel Wifi (8260NGW/etc)
  • Automatic screen rotation
Installation:
0. Update BIOS to latest. Should be at least v310.
If your newest is below that, then you have a different device - it may work, but I am not sure.​

1. Boot into BIOS by holding F2 key at startup.
  • Disable Secure boot: Security > Secure Boot > Control > Disabled
  • Disable Fast Boot: Boot > Fast Boot > Disabled
  • Disable CSM: Boot > CSM > Disabled
  • Set DVMT pre-allocated to 64MB: Graphics > DVMT > 64MB
2. Create installer.
Configure this from another Mac.​
  • Select "UEFI booting only"
  • Under UEFI Drivers, additionally ensure that AptioMemoryFix (or OCRuntime/Quirks), ApfsDriverLoader are checked. Don't uncheck any other drivers.
  • Install to USB drive.
  • Copy attached Drivers to EFI/CLOVER/DriversUEFI.
  • Copy attached Kexts to EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other.
  • Copy attached SSDTs to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • Copy attached config.plist to EFI/CLOVER. Fill out SMBIOS section! (You can use CloverConfigurator for this)
UEFI Drivers: HFSPlus.efi - attached.​
Kexts:​
These will need to be downloaded from their websites/git repositories. Some are attached below. if using OpenCore, the order listed is their injection order.​
Code:
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Lilu.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]CPUFriend.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]CPUFriendDataProvider.kext (included)[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]HibernationFixup.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]VirtualSMC.kext, including other SMC*.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]USBInjectAll.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]WhateverGreen.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]AppleALC.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]VoodooI2C.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]VoodooI2CHID.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]VoodooPS2Controller.kext (included)[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]AirportBrcmFixup.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]BrcmFirmwareData.kext (Or BrcmFirmwareRepo if in /L/E)[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]BrcmPatchRAM3.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]NoTouchID.kext[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]
SSDTs: All these are attached in compiled form.​
Code:
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]SSDT-FKEYS.aml[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]SSDT-TSCN.aml[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]SSDT-XOSI.aml[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]SSDT-BATT.aml[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]SSDT-GPRW.aml[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]SSDT-UIAC.aml[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]SSDT-EC-USBX.aml[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]SSDT-PNLF.aml[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]SSDT-WAK.aml[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]
3. Boot the USB installer.​
Format internal driver to GPT and HFS+J/APFS.​

1. Install MacOS.
  2. If you're installing over an old version of MacOS, open Utilities/Other>Terminal, and clear NVRAM.
    Code:
    nvram -c
4. Once at desktop, Install Clover to newly installed MacOS drive/disk.​
Refer back to step 1 for clover install, but this time select the main hard drive, not the USB.
If you haven't already, Open config.plist with Clover Configurator, go to SMBIOS and generate new serials and UUID. Do the same with RtVariables>ROM.​

Clover / config.plist configuration:
Provided plist already has changes, but also briefly explained below..
Clover DSDT fixes:​
FixSBUS, AddMCHC, AddDTGP​
Clover ACPI patches:​
System: OSI>XOSI, HECI>IMEI, DSM>XDSM​
Audio: HDAS>HDEF​
GPU: GFX0>IGPU​
Sleep: GPRW>XPRW, WAK>XWAK​
Trackpad: TPL0: _STA>XSTA​
Keyboard: Q0E>XQOE, QOF>XQOF,​
Battery: FBST->XBST, _BIX->XBIX, BIFA->XIFA, SMBR->XMBR, SMBW->XMBW​
Clover boot options:​
Code:
darkwake=0 dart=0 bpr_probedelay=400 bpr_initialdelay=800 bpr_postresetdelay=800 -cdfon -igfxnohdmi lilucpu=8 mbasd=1
Devices>Properties>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3): HDEF/sound​
Code:
layout-id <NUMBER> 31
Devices>Properties>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0): IGPU/graphics​
Fake AAPL,ig-platform-id and device-id to Skylake, to fix Blur/GFX issues.​
Code:
AAPL,ig-platform-id <DATA> 00001619[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT=2][INDENT=2][INDENT=2][INDENT=2]device-id <DATA> 19160000
Also some changes to fix HDMI audio. (framebuffer-con2-type)​
Code:
framebuffer-con1-enable <NUMBER> 1[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT=2][INDENT=2][INDENT=2][INDENT=2]framebuffer-con1-index <NUMBER> -1
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1D,0x7)/Pci(0x0,0x0): DW1820A fix​
pci-aspm-default set to 0​

Explanations:
Touchpad:
The VoodooI2C kext works in Polling due to issues with Asus' ACPI.​
Additionally, having two devices on one I2C bus is not supported - so renaming the touchscreen _STA device in TPL0, and injecting a new one to disable it is necessary.​
The patch to do so is in the attached config.plist, however it is very device-specific; if it doesn't work, you'll need to make your own: TPL0's _STA must return zero.​
Bluetooth/Wi-FI:
BrcmBluetoothInjector, BrcmFirmwareRepo/Data, and BrcmPatchRAM3 are required.​
Setting a delay of four times Rehabman's recommended in boot-args fixes wake from sleep issues.​
AirportBrcmFixup fixes the DW1560 and DW1820A. If you are using the DW1820A, you'll need to add a device property for
Code:
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1D,0x7)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
:
Code:
pci-aspm-default = 0
Audio:
I've added AppleALC layout-id 31 to get the LineIn Mic, Headphone, and Speakers working, though the Mic is a bit weird.​
You can use layout 17/18 as well, with different drawbacks.​
Battery:
I used Rehabman's N55SL battery patch, and created a standalone SSDT and ACPI patches. Patches are in config.plist prefixed "battery".​
Sleep:
GPRW is renamed to XPRW, which is used along SSDT-GPRW. This handles sleep.​
Also, USB ports are properly injected with USBInjectall+SSDT-UIAC, which ensures devices sleep/wake up; this is crucial for bluetooth.​
Sometimes, bluetooth and wifi will break after waking from sleep. This is fixed by extending the BrcmPatchRam delays.​
USB:
USBInjectAll+SSDT-UIAC is present to properly inject USB 3, 2, type C ports, SD reader, as well as the internal UVC2.0 camera, and Bluetooth device. Fixes wake / sleep as well.​
Power management:
In conjunction with PluginType=1 (in Clover config.plist), CPUFriend and CPUFriendDataProvider lower the idle frequency to 800MHz, compared to 1.3GHz. This should allow better battery life.​
If you're stuck at 800MHz, re-create CPUFriendDataProvider here.​
Function keys:
ACPI methods _QOE and _QOF are brightness keys, which are renamed and replaced by SSDT-FKeys. This handles brightness down (f5) and brightness up (f6), combined with VoodooPS2Controller.​
If these don't work, you may need to create the patches on your own. Rehabman created a guide on ACPI/DSDT patching.​

iMessage/Facetime:
To get iMessage/iCloud working, you need to have the following:​
Wi-Fi/Airport (or NullEthernet.kext+SSDT-RMNE.aml to fake Ethernet), as eth0 in About>System report>Network​

Attachments

• Kexts.zip
    52.7 KB · Views: 252
  • SSDTs.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 221
  • config.plist.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 231
  • HFSPlus.efi.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Hi,
Thank you in advance for your guide. Just one quick note, i don't know if its only me but i can't see any tag/label colour on two pc's running mojave :/ Can you please take a screenshot or something else?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi,
Thank you in advance for your guide. Just one quick note, i don't know if its only me but i can't see any tag/label colour on two pc's running mojave :/ Can you please take a screenshot or something else?

Thank you
Hi, sorry about that - I've attached images to the post, and I'll list them here in text:
EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other (only Red+Orange):
Code:
ACPIBatteryManager.kext
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext
CPUFriend.kext
CPUFriendDataProvider.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
LiluFriend.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
WhateverGreen.kext
/Library/Extensions (Red first, then Red+Orange):
Code:
BrcmFirmwareRepo_Mod.kext
BrcmPatchRAM_Mod.kext
BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
VoodooI2C.kext
VoodooI2CHID.kext

ACPIBatteryManager.kext
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext
CPUFriend.kext
CPUFriendDataProvider.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
LiluFriend.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Thank you very much :) I have a Zenbook UX301LG and i'm trying to make sense out of it ;) apart from graphics, wi-fi + bluetooth and touchpad, shouldn't be too different !

Thank you very much :) I have a Zenbook UX301LG and i'm trying to make sense out of it ;) apart from graphics, wi-fi + bluetooth and touchpad, shouldn't be too different !
Graphics, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth should all the the same.
Since the patches rely heavily on the DSDT being a certain way, I doubt any of the Battery patches or Touchpad patches will work.

For the battery, you can't use my provided patches if your ACPI is too different. Read Rehabman's guide on battery patching here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-patch-dsdt-for-working-battery-status.116102/

For the touchpad, it's the same as with the battery. Also if you have two I2C devices (I.e a touchscreen and a touchpad) on the same bus, then you'll have to disable one of them with your own DSDT/hot-patch. Read Rehabman's guide on DSDT patching here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

First of all: big thanks, worked like a charm on a 7Y30 UX360CAK! Question though: I replaced the WiFi card as follows: I removed the bottom screws, lifted the keyboard plate from the bottom frame on the left side of the device, just enough to remove the trackpad cable from its socket. Then, I 'rotated' the keyboard plate a bit, so I would have enough space near the WiFi card to remove it and replace it with the DW1560. This worked fine, and I did it this way because otherwise I'd have to remove the keyboard cable, and that seems to be a bit more difficult (especially since that cable is probably glued as well).

However, now I want to upgrade the SSD to a 500GB one, but without removing the keyboard plate entirely, I can never reach the socket of the SSD. To remove that keyboard plate, I have to remove that keyboard cable, but.. I have no idea how. I could 'trial and error' it, but making a mistake there could damage the cable. So my question is: did you remove the keyboard plate entirely to reach the WiFi card? And if so: how did you disconnect the keyboard cable? Thanks in advance, appreciate it a lot! :)

First of all: big thanks, worked like a charm on a 7Y30 UX360CAK! Question though: I replaced the WiFi card as follows: I removed the bottom screws, lifted the keyboard plate from the bottom frame on the left side of the device, just enough to remove the trackpad cable from its socket. Then, I 'rotated' the keyboard plate a bit, so I would have enough space near the WiFi card to remove it and replace it with the DW1560. This worked fine, and I did it this way because otherwise I'd have to remove the keyboard cable, and that seems to be a bit more difficult (especially since that cable is probably glued as well).

However, now I want to upgrade the SSD to a 500GB one, but without removing the keyboard plate entirely, I can never reach the socket of the SSD. To remove that keyboard plate, I have to remove that keyboard cable, but.. I have no idea how. I could 'trial and error' it, but making a mistake there could damage the cable. So my question is: did you remove the keyboard plate entirely to reach the WiFi card? And if so: how did you disconnect the keyboard cable? Thanks in advance, appreciate it a lot! :)
You can lift up the ribbon cable (towards the screen), slowly. make sure that the touchpad cable is removed first, though. unclip both of them!

Good time. Thanks for the Guide. I put Mojave on a laptop UX330CA, m3-7Y30, HD 615, ALC 255. WiFi and BT module while I will not change (using Archer 2 nano USB adapter). I use Your instructions. Works: keyboard, USB ports, audio (layout 28), brightness adjustment, hdmi output to optional monitor, CPU alone keeps 800ghz. Not working: Fn keyboard, trackpad (ELAN 1200), battery information (always lit 0 %). Help please. What patches and kexts to remove, what to add, what adjustments to make, which layout is better? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Mojave 10.14.6 is working!

Good time. Thanks for the Guide. I put Mojave on a laptop UX330CA, m3-7Y30, HD 615, ALC 255. WiFi and BT module while I will not change (using Archer 2 nano USB adapter). I use Your instructions. Works: keyboard, USB ports, audio (layout 28), brightness adjustment, hdmi output to optional monitor, CPU alone keeps 800ghz. Not working: Fn keyboard, trackpad (ELAN 1200), battery information (always lit 0 %). Help please. What patches and kexts to remove, what to add, what adjustments to make, which layout is better? Thank you in advance.
You'll need all the patches in the provided config.plist - they're labeled "keyboard", "battery", etc. Don't forget the SSDTs either.
If your device isn't a Kabylake UX360CAK then the patches I've made might not work, and you'll need to make them yourself. If you do have the UX360CAK, then check that you're on the latest BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back