Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS Zenbook UX360CA (Mojave/High Sierra)

Motherboard
ASUS VivoBook S410U/X411U-Clover
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620+MX150,1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is a guide for the Kabylake ASUS UX360CAK-AH51T, on Mojave and High Sierra.
Should work for the CPU m3/i7 models as well.

This is completely based off of 'dynamic' or 'clover' patching, as such it is less dependent on DSDT changes, as such it should work better over time.

This guide relies on you knowing the basics on how to set up a hackintosh.
If not, please head over to Rehabman's guides first;
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-unibeast.146864/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Updated 04-05-2019. Works with 10.14.4, switched to VirtualSMC, updated SSDTs and Kexts.

System details:
8 GB LPDDR3 RAM​
Intel HD 615 GPU​
Kabylake-U/Y i5/m5-7y54​

What works:
  • Keyboard, brightness/audio FN keys
  • Quartz/Metal/GL acceleration
  • Sleep/shutdown
  • Power management/HWP/XMP
  • Backlight/control
  • Realtek ALC255 audio, headphone jack port (hey !)
  • ELAN1200 trackpad (or) FTE1000 touchscreen
  • USB 2/3/type C, management
  • Micro HDMI port w/ audio
  • SDHC Reader
  • Wifi + Bluetooth (I replaced the Intel 8260NGW card with a DW1560)
What doesn't work:
  • Touchscreen (not in conjunction with the trackpad)
  • Intel Wifi (8260NGW/etc)
Installation:

1. Boot into BIOS by holding F2 key at startup.
  • Disable Secure boot: Security > Secure Boot > Control >Disabled
  • Disable Fast Boot: Boot > Fast Boot > Disabled
  • Set DVMT pre-allocated to at least 64MB: Graphics>DVMT>64MB
2. Create installer.
Configure this from another Mac.
Use clover version at least 4900. Rehabman's 4701 is too old.
  • Select "UEFI booting only"
  • Under UEFI Drivers, additionally ensure that AptioMemoryFix, ApfsDriverLoader are checked.
  • Install to USB drive.
  • Copy specified drivers to EFI/CLOVER/DriversUEFI.
  • Copy specified kexts to EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other.
  • Copy SSDTs to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • Copy config.plist to EFI/CLOVER
UEFI Drivers: HFSPlus.efi, APFS.efi (from /usr/standalone/i386/)​
Kexts:​
Code:
VirtualSMC.kext
SMC*.kext (any kext starting with SMC)
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext
CPUFriend.kext
CPUFriendDataProvider.kext
Lilu.kext
LiluFriend.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
WhateverGreen.kext
EFI:Clover:Kexts:Other.jpg
SSDTs: All these are attached in compiled form.​
SSDT-BATT, SSDT-EC, SSDT-FunctionKeys, SSDT-GPRW, SSDT-PNLF, SSDT-SATA, SSDT-UIAC, SSDT-USBX, SSDT-XOSI, SSDT-XSTA, SSDT-ZWAK​
3. Boot to USB drive.​
Select "External: Install MacOS.."​
  1. Erase drive, create new GUID partition, and an HFS+J volume.
  2. Go back (CMD+Q) and Install MacOS.
    1. If you're installing over an old version of MacOS, open Utilities/Other>Terminal, and clear NVRAM.
      Code:
      nvram -c
4. Install clover to MacOS drive.​
Refer back to step 1 for clover install, but this time select the main hard drive, not the USB.
  1. Now instead of some, copy all (Red and Orange labeled) kexts to /Library/Extensions/
  2. Rebuild kext cache ("Rebuild cache" in KextWizard works too)
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -i /
  3. Open config.plist with Clover Configurator, go to SMBIOS and generate so that "PLACEHOLDER" is.. well, replaced. Do the same with RtVariables>ROM.
All Kexts:​
Code:
BrcmFirmwareRepo_Mod.kext
BrcmPatchRAM_Mod.kext
BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
SMC*.kext (any kext starting with SMC)
VoodooI2C.kext
VoodooI2CHID.kext

AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext
CPUFriend.kext
Lilu.kext
LiluFriend.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
WhateverGreen.kext
Explanation of SSDTs and Clover patches:
Touchpad:
The VoodooI2C kext works in Polling due to issues with Asus' ACPI.​
Additionally, having two devices on one I2C bus is not supported - so renaming the _STA device in TPL0, and replacing it with a new one is necessary. The patch to do so is in the attached config.plist, however it is very device-specific; while it should work on all UX360CA devices, the same cannot be said for similar models.
Using VoodooI2C is /L/E (and not EFI/CLOVER/kexts) results in a conflict with AppleIntelI2CLpssI2C*. Clover patch to disable:​
Kernel&Kext Patches>KextsToPatch
Code:
Name: com.apple.driver.AppleIntelLpssI2C
Find: 494F4B69 74
Replace: 494F4B69 78
Comment: disable AppleIntelLpssI2C /coolstar
Code:
Name: com.apple.driver.AppleIntelLpssI2CController
Find: 494F4B69 74
Replace: 494F4B69 78
Comment: disable AppleIntelLpssI2CController /coolstar
If you intend to only use VoodooI2C in EFI/CLOVER/kexts, then remove the AppleIntelLpssI2C* patches, and ensure that they are present in /S/L/E.​
Bluetooth/Wi-FI:
BrcmFirmwareRepo/Data and BrcmPatchRAM2 are modified with a delay to fix wifi/bluetooth after sleep. Compiled from Rehabman's Git.​
I used AirPortBrcmFixup instead of FakePCIID+Wifi, though I guess this is personal preference.​
Audio:
I've added AppleALC layout-id 31 to get the LineIn Mic, Headphone, and Speakers working.​
You can use layout 17/18 if you don't wish to use my build, however not all four devices will work properly. Source code: https://github.com/cowpod/AppleALC
Battery:
I used Rehabman's N55SL battery patch, and created a standalone SSDT. This is used along clover renames, prefixed with "battery" in the attached config.plist.​
Sleep:
GPRW is renamed to XPRW, which is used along SSDT-GPRW. This handles sleep.​
Also, USB ports are properly injected with USBInjectall+SSDT-UIAC, which ensures devices sleep/wake up; this is crucial for bluetooth.​
USB:
USBInjectAll+SSDT-UIAC is present to properly inject USB 3, 2, type C ports, SD reader, as well as the internal UVC2.0 camera, and Bluetooth device.​
Power management:
In conjunction with PluginType=1 (in Clover config.plist), CPUFriend and CPUFriendDataProvider lower the idle frequency to 800MHz, compared to 1.3GHz. This should allow better battery life.​
Function keys:
QOE and QOF are brightness keys, which are renamed and replaced by SSDT-FunctionKeys. This handles brightness down (f5) and brightness up (f6), with VoodooPS2.​

Clover / config.plist configuration:
Provided plist already has changes, but also explained below..
I recommend that you copy the config.plist instead of manually making these changes.​
Clover DSDT fixes:​
FixSBUS, AddMCHC, AddDTGP​
Clover ACPI patches:​
System: OSI>XOSI, OSID>XSID, HECI>IMEI, DSM>XDSM, SAT0>SATA​
Audio/GFX: HDAS>HDEF, GFX0>IGPU,​
Sleep: GPRW>XPRW​
Trackpad/keyboard: TPL0/_STA>XSTA, Q0E>XQOE, QOF>XQOF,​
Battery: FBST->XBST, _BIX->XBIX, BIFA->XIFA, SMBR->XMBR, SMBW->XMBW​
Clover boot options:​
Code:
darkwake=0 dart=0 bpr_probedelay=400 bpr_initialdelay=800 bpr_postresetdelay=800 -cdfon -igfxnohdmi lilucpu=8 mbasd=1
Devices>Properties>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3): HDEF/sound​
Code:
layout-id <NUMBER> 31
Devices>Properties>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0): IGPU/graphics​
Fake AAPL,ig-platform-id and device-id to Skylake, to fix Blur/GFX issues.​
Code:
AAPL,ig-platform-id <DATA> 00001619
device-id <DATA> 19160000
Also some changes to fix HDMI audio. (framebuffer-con2-type)​
Code:
framebuffer-con1-enable <NUMBER> 1
framebuffer-con1-index <NUMBER> -1
iMessage/Facetime:
To get iMessage/iCloud working, you need to have the following:​
Wi-Fi/Airport or NullEthernet.kext+SSDT-RMNE.aml to fake Ethernet, as eth0 in About>System report>Network​

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS UX302LG
CPU
i7-4500U
Graphics
HD 4400 + GT 730M
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi,
Thank you in advance for your guide. Just one quick note, i don't know if its only me but i can't see any tag/label colour on two pc's running mojave :/ Can you please take a screenshot or something else?

Thank you

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620+MX150,1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi,
Thank you in advance for your guide. Just one quick note, i don't know if its only me but i can't see any tag/label colour on two pc's running mojave :/ Can you please take a screenshot or something else?

Thank you
Hi, sorry about that - I've attached images to the post, and I'll list them here in text:
EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other (only Red+Orange):
Code:
ACPIBatteryManager.kext
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext
CPUFriend.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
LiluFriend.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
WhateverGreen.kext
/Library/Extensions (Red first, then Red+Orange):
Code:
BrcmFirmwareRepo_Mod.kext
BrcmPatchRAM_Mod.kext
BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
VoodooI2C.kext
VoodooI2CHID.kext

ACPIBatteryManager.kext
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext
CPUFriend.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
LiluFriend.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Motherboard
ASUS UX302LG
CPU
i7-4500U
Graphics
HD 4400 + GT 730M
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you very much :) I have a Zenbook UX301LG and i'm trying to make sense out of it ;) apart from graphics, wi-fi + bluetooth and touchpad, shouldn't be too different !

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620+MX150,1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you very much :) I have a Zenbook UX301LG and i'm trying to make sense out of it ;) apart from graphics, wi-fi + bluetooth and touchpad, shouldn't be too different !
Graphics, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth should all the the same.
Since the patches rely heavily on the DSDT being a certain way, I doubt any of the Battery patches or Touchpad patches will work.

For the battery, you can't use my provided patches if your ACPI is too different. Read Rehabman's guide on battery patching here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-patch-dsdt-for-working-battery-status.116102/

For the touchpad, it's the same as with the battery. Also if you have two I2C devices (I.e a touchscreen and a touchpad) on the same bus, then you'll have to disable one of them with your own DSDT/hot-patch. Read Rehabman's guide on DSDT patching here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Motherboard
B85M-HD3 R4
CPU
i5 4460
Graphics
HD4600
First of all: big thanks, worked like a charm on a 7Y30 UX360CAK! Question though: I replaced the WiFi card as follows: I removed the bottom screws, lifted the keyboard plate from the bottom frame on the left side of the device, just enough to remove the trackpad cable from its socket. Then, I 'rotated' the keyboard plate a bit, so I would have enough space near the WiFi card to remove it and replace it with the DW1560. This worked fine, and I did it this way because otherwise I'd have to remove the keyboard cable, and that seems to be a bit more difficult (especially since that cable is probably glued as well).

However, now I want to upgrade the SSD to a 500GB one, but without removing the keyboard plate entirely, I can never reach the socket of the SSD. To remove that keyboard plate, I have to remove that keyboard cable, but.. I have no idea how. I could 'trial and error' it, but making a mistake there could damage the cable. So my question is: did you remove the keyboard plate entirely to reach the WiFi card? And if so: how did you disconnect the keyboard cable? Thanks in advance, appreciate it a lot! :)

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620+MX150,1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
First of all: big thanks, worked like a charm on a 7Y30 UX360CAK! Question though: I replaced the WiFi card as follows: I removed the bottom screws, lifted the keyboard plate from the bottom frame on the left side of the device, just enough to remove the trackpad cable from its socket. Then, I 'rotated' the keyboard plate a bit, so I would have enough space near the WiFi card to remove it and replace it with the DW1560. This worked fine, and I did it this way because otherwise I'd have to remove the keyboard cable, and that seems to be a bit more difficult (especially since that cable is probably glued as well).

However, now I want to upgrade the SSD to a 500GB one, but without removing the keyboard plate entirely, I can never reach the socket of the SSD. To remove that keyboard plate, I have to remove that keyboard cable, but.. I have no idea how. I could 'trial and error' it, but making a mistake there could damage the cable. So my question is: did you remove the keyboard plate entirely to reach the WiFi card? And if so: how did you disconnect the keyboard cable? Thanks in advance, appreciate it a lot! :)
You can lift up the ribbon cable (towards the screen), slowly. make sure that the touchpad cable is removed first, though. unclip both of them!

Motherboard
Asus Zenbook UX330CA
CPU
m3-7Y30
Graphics
HD 615
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
Android
Good time. Thanks for the Guide. I put Mojave on a laptop UX330CA, m3-7Y30, HD 615, ALC 255. WiFi and BT module while I will not change (using Archer 2 nano USB adapter). I use Your instructions. Works: keyboard, USB ports, audio (layout 28), brightness adjustment, hdmi output to optional monitor, CPU alone keeps 800ghz. Not working: Fn keyboard, trackpad (ELAN 1200), battery information (always lit 0 %). Help please. What patches and kexts to remove, what to add, what adjustments to make, which layout is better? Thank you in advance.

Last edited: