Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS Zenbook UX310UA (& UX310UQK) macOS Mojave / Catalina with Clover (& Big Sur / Monterey using OpenCore EFI) Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a fully working 10.15.3 install on this machine, then windows started 'fixing' every drive it could find and borked it.

So now back trying OpenCore, and almost there but have no keyboard at macos install screen. AFAIK keyboard on this laptop is PS2. External USB Mouse works fine, but can't type anything (need wifi password to install etc.) Been following Kaby Lake laptop config guide, but no-one seems to have such a basic problem at this point with Opencore.

Have tried (with appropriate plist changes):
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
Ps2KeyboardDxe.efi

Attached Install log from MacOs install screen, config.plist and latest boot log from Opencore. Quite a bit in there about duplicate keyboard layouts, but no idea if this points to any solution. Any help on further debug tactics, or even a solution, very welcome!
I had this issue and had to disable some kexts. Check my plist

Attachments

• my_stuff.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
Hello, everyone, I have a very strange problem. I took the EFI folder from this manual (i have ux310ufr with nvidia). And the kernel load is successful. But if the hard disk has a file system (apfs, hfs+) then it hangs on the logo and boot indicator. If it doesn't exist or it (ntfs) then I start the installation process it writes data to the disk, reboots and stops at the boot indicator. This behavior with mojave, big sur. I cannot understand what the problem might be.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

From what I understood, I just needed to delete the EFI folder and replace it with the OpenCore 0.6.1 prebuilt in the attached zip file. I did it, generated some IDs using GenSMBIOS, added -v flag into the boot-args and then went to reboot into the installer and this is what happens next. Guess my laptop is too different. Or could it be some RAM issues? I’ve been spending on this for 2 weeks, guess I’m the worst Hackintosher of the universe.

Point me into any forum rule violations if I did anything wrong.

Attachments

• 9DFB13E8-D23A-4A66-B55A-545835177B38.jpeg
    9DFB13E8-D23A-4A66-B55A-545835177B38.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
From what I understood, I just needed to delete the EFI folder and replace it with the OpenCore 0.6.1 prebuilt in the attached zip file. I did it, generated some IDs using GenSMBIOS, added -v flag into the boot-args and then went to reboot into the installer and this is what happens next. Guess my laptop is too different. Or could it be some RAM issues? I’ve been spending on this for 2 weeks, guess I’m the worst Hackintosher of the universe.

Point me into any forum rule violations if I did anything wrong.
As far as I can see from the logos. You don't have SSDT-GPI0. I will give you a link to the main opencore manual. I hope this is not forbidden.

As far as I can see from the logos. You don't have SSDT-GPI0. I will give you a link to the main opencore manual. I hope this is not forbidden.
It doesn't look like main manual, it's more like ACPI compilation manual.
For the laptops that are Haswell generation or newer it is required to have SSDT-GPI0, yet I do not understand why it isn't included into the prebuilt OpenCore 0.6.1 setup. If it's meant to be compiled by myself then why would someone say "just open your EFI partition, delete your EFI folder, and put this one instead"?

So I just thought, whatever, I’ll follow the guide, compile the SSDT-GPI0 and put the aml into OpenCore‘s ACPI folder. I did that, went to ProperTree, clicked OC Snapshot, verified if the GPI0 is there, verified if it didn’t delete the SMBIOS values generated by GenSMBIOS, saved and rebooted and boom, same kernel panic.

Attachments

• 415325F7-5495-424A-ABC8-F8BDD25153E9.jpeg
    415325F7-5495-424A-ABC8-F8BDD25153E9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
SSDT-GPI0 is NOT needed. You only need it if you want to use GPIO mode instead of polling mode, and ONLY if your touchpad supports that mode. ELAN 1200, at least on this laptop, does not support GPIO.

As for the error, try clearing NVRAM first. I mean, delete your EFI with Clover and replace with the EFI folder for OpenCore. Boot, and when it shows a screen to select the drive, you will see an option to clean nvram. Use that option, reboot, and if you are using one of the models mentioned in this guide, it should boot without issues.

SSDT-GPI0 is NOT needed. You only need it if you want to use GPIO mode instead of polling mode, and ONLY if your touchpad supports that mode. ELAN 1200, at least on this laptop, does not support GPIO.

As for the error, try clearing NVRAM first. I mean, delete your EFI with Clover and replace with the EFI folder for OpenCore. Boot, and when it shows a screen to select the drive, you will see an option to clean nvram. Use that option, reboot, and if you are using one of the models mentioned in this guide, it should boot without issues.
Well, it doesn’t, I tried clearing NVRAM many times. Same problem all the time. Rebooted to Windows, went to GenSMBIOS, generated IDs, went to ProperTree, added -v into the boot arguments before keepsyms, alcid and lilucpu, saved, rebooted. Went to clear NVRAM, chose to boot from macOS Base System, same problem all the time. I have attached AIDA64 Trial report below for you to see if anything’s wrong with my hardware. Hope to hearing from you soon.

Attachments

• FB3DCFDC-91FE-4038-99C7-B24911337809.jpeg
    FB3DCFDC-91FE-4038-99C7-B24911337809.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
Here is the report file in zip.

Attachments

• Report.zip
    62.3 KB · Views: 50
Try with the new OpenCore EFI I posted in the guide (0.6.2 now).
Same, same stories. "The macOS installation couldn't be completed" error was on of those dead ends I've encountered in a lot of other attempts, including this one, of installing Hackintosh on this machine. It also comes with no GPU support, no external display support but somehow the screen brightness was lower than the default one (default brightness is max) so it looks like there's some brightness control support in there. Trackpad support is there, too, but the movement is very choppy and not as smooth as, say, in OpenCore bootloader. The window contents weren't refreshing as supposed to be, but I once remember I used this (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...e-issues.html#macos-frozen-right-before-login) to fix the problem.

Ever since I started playing with this, I started noticing some weird things on this laptop. Previously I asked some Russian for a help, he sent me a working EFI folder claiming it should work but it rendered the image in 720p and the 720p was not even stretched nor centered, it was on the top left corner of the screen while the pixels from the rest of the screen were trying to overdo themselves so they almost got burned themselves down (still have the picture of that), glad I didn't spend more than five minutes on the macOS installer environment and just rebooted back to Windows. It took like 24 hours for the screen to fully restore itself but it was pretty much horrible.

Then there's another problem. I don't know what resetting NVRAM does, and as far as I know the UEFI doesn't have a lot of settings on this laptop. I don't know what I did but this system time is now broken, it just doesn't work as it should. When the laptop is off but still connected to power, the system time stops, and when the laptop is on and running Windows, the system time rolls back 30-50 minutes every hour randomly. Reinstalling Windows didn't help since I think that's the CMOS battery died on the laptop. But someone told me that these ZenBook models don't have a CMOS battery and they rely on the normal battery instead, which still works (not sure if it's healthy if you have 101 cycles and 28 Wh out of 43 Wh). Loading Optimal Defaults in the UEFI setup didn't help at all.

Attachments

• Installer Log 20-Oct-2020.txt
    109.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back