Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS Zenbook UX310UA (& UX310UQK) macOS Mojave / Catalina with Clover (& Big Sur / Monterey using OpenCore EFI) Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Zenbook UX310UA
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is an installation guide for the Asus UX310UA (or UX310UA-FC620T) laptop with macOS Mojave or Catalina. This is intended to install macOS only, removing Windows. This guide is based on and adapted from Patou75's guide for UX330UA here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-on-asus-ux330ua-skylake-clover-uefi.204479/

What's working ?

Everything except Wi-Fi/Bluetooth (you have to change the card to make it work)

Note:

The Internet WIFI/Bluetooth chip will not work on this laptop. Intel chips are not supported at this time on hackintosh. You need to replace it with a DW1560 from eBay or Amazon. You can also try DW1820, but keep in mind that not all of those work and you have to experiment with some patches. This is highly recommended versus buying an external USB Wi-Fi adapter.

Pre-Installation Items Needed:

Post-Installation Items Needed:

After replacing the Wi-Fi/BT module, if you replaced it with DW1560 (recommended):

Step 1:

Setup your BIOS at bootup using the ESC on your keyboard and select the following options:
  1. First, activate Advanced Mode
  2. Check that DVMT is set to 64M. If not, set that value
  3. VT-d = disabled
  4. Disabled Secure Boot

Step 2:

Create the USB installer using UniBeast from the Mac where you have dowloaded Mojave or Catalina installer from App Store. It is really easy, follow the guide here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Step 3:

Before attempting to boot your newly created USB Thumb Drive, replace the clover generated config.plist with the modified config.plist included in this guide (take a look at the end of this guide). The config.plist that clover creates by default will NOT work.

Step 4:

Open up the folder /Clover/kexts/Other/ and put the following kexts there (replacing if some of them are included already):
  • Lilu.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
IMPORTANT: If you see FakeSMC.kext in that folder, DELETE IT. You can't use FakeSMC and VirtualSMC at the same time, and we will use VirtualSMC.

Put SSDT-ECUSBX.aml in /Clover/ACPI/patched/

Also put ApfsDriverLoader.efi, AptioMemoryFix.efi, and HFSPlus.efi in /Clover/drivers/UEFI/

Step 5:

Put the USB stick in a USB port on your ASUS, and power on. For selecting your USB to boot, press the ESC key during boot up.

When you reach the Installer, open Utilities, select Disk Utility, and format the HDD as HFS+ Journaled or as APFS (Apple's new file system). I prefer APFS, but choose what's best to you. If you don't know, just use APFS. Name the HDD as you like. I prefer to call it "MacOS" but that is up to you. After that, start and complete the installation process.

IMPORTANT: Please pay attention to the installation process. You will see it restarts the system at some point, and that is normal. It usually reboots and you will see it starts from a partition called "macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot". That is ok. However, usually it will reboot again after some minutes, and then it will try to boot from "MacOS" (or whatever name you chose when you formatted the HDD). You will have to manually move (using the arrow keys) the selection to "macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot" again and press enter.

Step 6:

After the installation process, make sure you install Clover EFI to the Mac HD so you don’t have to keep booting via your Thumb Drive. If you receive a message saying something like Clover is not meant to be installed in that partition or something like that, don't pay attention to it, just install anyway.

Optional: Install CloverThemeManager.app. This will install an App that you can use to preview, download and use themes for Clover bootloader (recommended Themes are "Mojave" and "Catalina") - https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefi...hemeManagerApp/Updates/CloverThemeManager.zip

Step 7:

After following the above steps and successfully installing macOS as well as Clover to the Mac HD, install Clover Configurator, open it, and use the tool to mount the EFI partition of your HDD. You need to add these kets to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other:
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
Also, replace the created config.plist with the modified config.plist included in this guide. The same you have used for the installation USB Thumb Drive. DO NOT FORGET THIS, IT IS IMPORTANT.

Put SSDT-ECUSBX.aml in /Clover/ACPI/patched/

Lastly, put ApfsDriverLoader.efi, AptioMemoryFix.efi, and HFSPlus.efi in /Clover/drivers/UEFI/

Step 8:

Reboot your computer booting without the USB, and get to the clover loading screen. Do NOT boot into the system yet, just press any arrow key to stop the countdown if you need it. Then, press the keyboard F4 button once in order to save the system DSDT and SSDT files to clover. This will be done automatically AFTER you press the F4 button ONCE and you will not see any message as indicative, that is normal. Proceed in booting into macOS.

Note: You will find unpatched DSDT and SSDT's on EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin

Step 9:

Now we are going to patch the DSDT and compile a SSDT so your laptop will function like a "Real" Mac with the proper Power Management, Battery Indicator, Screen Brightness Control, etc.

For patching the DSDT and SSDT, I followed this guide here… READ THIS slowly!!! It can be difficult to understand if you’ve never done a DSDT and SSDT patch before: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

For models post Skylake (like this one and newer ASUS models) we will not need to use refs.txt and we will not use -da. Basically, we will use this code from that guide
Code:
cd "to directory where you placed all SSDT/DSDT"
iasl -dl DSDT.aml SSDT*.aml

Of course you will need internet by sharing the internet connection with USB using your phone for example. Or you can also copy the extracted DSDT and SSDT's to a USB drive, and take them to the Mac you used to download Mojave or Catalina installer and do the patching process there.

Please read and follow the instructions in the above link before going down further here:

-Use the MaciASL 6.1 application that you should have downloaded from the above link.

-Go to Preferences, and make sure iASL 6.1 is selected. Click the Sources tab, click the "+" and the following Patch Info (if it's not already there):
Name = Rehabman
URL = http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master

Add this one too:
Name = AsusSMC
URL= http://raw.github.com/hieplpvip/AsusSMC/master

-It is good to create a copy of your system DSDT to work with the copy and thus keep the original untouched in case you need it again in the future.

-These are the patches I used for my DSDT. I applied this in order from top to bottom:
  • "[bat] Asus N55SL/VivoBook Battery Patch" - RehabMan source
  • "[sys] Shutdown Fix v2" - RehabMan source
  • "[sys] OS Check Fix (Windows 10)" - RehabMan source
  • "NullEthernet" patch from RehabMan to make it work with the kext
  • "[als] Patch ALSS" - AsusSMC source
  • (I had to test special keys later, and found out that I also need to apply patches for F2 (sleep), F5 (brightness down) and F6 (brightness up) to make those keys work. You will have to test in your own keyboard, and see which keys doesn't work and apply needed patches. Same if your model has backlit keyboard, you'll need an extra patch. And for Sleep and Airplane Mode you'll need to install AsusSMCDaemon. Instructions are here: https://github.com/hieplpvip/AsusSMC/wiki/Installation-Instruction)
After trying to compile the DSDT, I got 1 error about BNUM. Just search for BNUM and delete the line
Code:
External (BNUM, UnknownObj)    // (from opcode)

Compile, save, and save as DSDT.aml

For all the SSDTs:

We don't need any of the extracted kexts. Some of them were needed in the past, but not anymore.

For SSDT-PNLF:

This file comes in WhateverGreen's Zip file and it's needed to get brightness control. It comes as SSDT-PNLF.dsl so you also need to open it in MaciASL and save it as aml, the same as you did with the DSDT after patching it.

Step 10:

By now you should have your SSDT-PNLF.aml and your patched DSDT.aml files. Place these files along with the rest of your system files into your EFI HDD Partition. Navigate to the following folder: EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ and place your modified DSDT.aml and SSDT-PNLF.aml.

Also place these kexts into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other:
  • AppleALC.kext
  • AsusSMC.kext
  • HibernationFixup.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • NullEthernet.kext
  • SMCBatteryManager.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext (should be there already from previous step)
  • VoodooI2C.kext
  • VoodooI2CHID.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext (should be there already from previous step)
  • WhateverGreen.kext

Step 11 (THIS IS ONLY NEEDED AFTER YOU HAVE REPLACED THE WIFI/BT MODULE):

Place these kexts into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other:
  • AirportBrcmFixup.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (only for Mojave)
  • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3.kext (only for Catalina)
Note that you need either BrcmPatchRAM2 or BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3, according to if you installed Mojave or Catalina. Do not place all three kexts, use one or the others accordingly.

Step 12

Read this guide, carefully, and follow the steps needed to setup your USB internal and external ports. It works with USBInjectAll.kext, which we already installed. You will have to create SSDT-UIAC.aml and place it into EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/.This is needed to guarantee Wi-Fi and BT to work properly, as well as power management, proper sleep and more: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/

If you have the exact same model described in this guide, you can just use SSDT-UIAC.aml attached in this guide.

Step 13:

Restart the Mac. You will have a fully working Mac now :)

Bonus Step: Only if you have UX310UQK or any other similar model with Nvidia graphics

Nvidia graphics card will not work with MacOS. You must disable it. Otherwise, you will have graphical glitches, sleep problems, black screens and more. To disable the card, edit your config.plist file using Clover Configurator, and at the Boot section add this bootarg:
Code:
-wegnoegpu

FINISH!

NOTE : All USB 3.0 are working, USB-C too, Webcam too, SD Card reader too.

NOTE 2: To make iMessage work, you will need some extra changes. Check this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

Thanks to:

@RehabMan for his great work. You are the greatest.
@haimann951 for his workaround for ELAN 1200 touchpad. (although it is not needed anymore due to the updates in the VoodooI2C project)
Alexandred for his work with VoodooI2C (we have multitouch at last!)
@ben9923 for his patience and his great help. Without him I wouldn't be able to make the touchpad work.
And @patou75 for the UX330UA guide that I used not only as template, but also as guide and source of information to install Mac on my own system.

GUIDE UPDATED ON Nov 5th, 2019: Removed support for Sierra and High Sierra. Keeping Mojave support, since some people don't want to upgrade yet. Now there are less steps, it is easier to make the audio work (and native, without touching system files), battery indication works perfect (way better than before), power management works great, and we have a trackpad with multitouch ;)

New update Dec. 15th 2019: VoodooI2C new version does not need patches for lpss apple kexts, neither forcing iographics to load, so I've removed that from this guide. Now it's even easier than before :)

GUIDE UPDATED AGAIN. May 7th, 2020: No need to modify config.plist, so a whole (and complicated) step was removed. As RehabMan's config.plist' where updated long ago, but after this guide was made, there were some differences and patches that cause some problems. I decided to include a fully working, updated config.plist here, with the needed patches for audio and video for this laptop (and similar models), updated using WhateverGreen's standards instead of old kernel and kexts patching. You are free to change values in patches, or remove them and apply your own. Using Clover Configurator you will find patches after loading config.plist in Devices -> Properties.

NEW UPDATE June 2nd, 2020: Adding some extra info for model UX310UQK and similar models including Nvidia graphics. Tested and working, the steps are exactly the same, except that you have to use an additional bootarg to disable Nvidia graphics.

NEW UPDATE August 20th, 2020: Added OpenCore's EFI folder (0.6.0) to make this laptop work with OpenCore instead of Clover. This way, it not only works with Catalina, but also with Big Sur. Everything works, except fn+Fx keys for screen and keyboard brightness. If you are using Clover now and want to try OpenCore, just open your EFI partition, delete your EFI folder, and put this one instead. You can update from Catalina to Big Sur directly from Software Update without problems. I recommend you to use OpenCore Configurator, to edit config.plist's Platform Info section and add your generated serial number and system UUID. Check some OpenCore guide if you need help with that. It's needed to make iMessage and other Apple services work.

Another update October 4th, 2020: OpenCore EFI updated to 0.6.1. All kexts up to date. Fixed problem with fn+fx for screen brightness up and down.

Update Nov 4th: OpenCore updated to 0.6.3, and all kexts are up-to-date too.

Update June 14th, 2021: OpenCore updated to 0.7.0, and all kexts are up-to-date too.

Update July 14th, 2021: Monterey is here! OpenCore updated to 0.7.1, and all kexts are up-to-date too. If any of you want to try it, remember to first generate and add a SMUUID, ROM, SystemSerialNumber and MLB into config.plist. You can use OpenCore Configurator for that (Platform Info -> DataHub - Generic - PlatformNVRAM). IMPORTANT: This time I'm including USBPorts.kext, with perfect injection of the USB ports and internal devices in my laptop. Usually, all the UX310 and even UX410 have the same port mapping, but in case that you experience some issues, de-activate that kext, or replace it with your own kext. If you don't have one and you need it, follow this awesome guide by @UtterDisbelief: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Update July 18th, 2021: Minor update. Fixed some kext placements that were leading to trackpad and bluetooth not working, updated CpuTscSync to the latest commit working for Monterey (including sleep/wake) and removed the old TSCAdjustReset.

Update November 16th, 2021: Minor update. Updated to latest OC 0.7.5

Attachments

• SSDT-ECUSBX.aml
    290 bytes · Views: 1,032
  • config.plist
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml
    465 bytes · Views: 636
  • OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI for ASUS Zenbook UX310.zip
    13.4 MB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the guide! Bought a UX3410UA today, should be almost exactly the same. Will try this.

Edit: No keyboard and touchpad input after step 7, guess the hardware is not supported (yet) :(
Touchpad will work after step 13, that is when you install the needed kexts and do the proper dsdt modifications. But keyboard should be working since just the very beginning by using VoodooPS2Controller.kext in Clover/kexts. Make sure you have put it in the proper folder, inside the EFI partition.

Touchpad will work after step 13, that is when you install the needed kexts and do the proper dsdt modifications. But keyboard should be working since just the very beginning by using VoodooPS2Controller.kext in Clover/kexts. Make sure you have put it in the proper folder, inside the EFI partition.

Thats really weird, I'll just try it again.

I cant quite follow step 6 though, while installing clover I dont have the options for FSInject-64 and HFSPlus in the advanced menu.

Thats really weird, I'll just try it again.

I cant quite follow step 6 though, while installing clover I dont have the options for FSInject-64 and HFSPlus in the advanced menu.
You are right, I have updated the guide. Also, I have updated the DSDT patches section. Less patches are needed.

Alrighty, got almost everything working - didnt think that it would actually work with a different model! Thanks so much for this guide.
Only thing that is not working yet it audio. Any idea how to find out which kext I need for my specific model?
Step 11 creates a patch for the Audio and a kext you install in step 12. If it does not work then your lap does not have CX8050. Have you got a screenshot or saved the information that Windows had about the audio hardware? You need to know brand (vendor) and model, and select the proper model when you create the audio patch in step 11.

Also, you can try VoodooHDA that works with many model. But it's always better to create a patch and install the generated aDummyHDA than to just install Voodoo that sometimes has issues with volume or audio quality.

Step 11 creates a patch for the Audio and a kext you install in step 12. If it does not work then your lap does not have CX8050. Have you got a screenshot or saved the information that Windows had about the audio hardware? You need to know brand (vendor) and model, and select the proper model when you create the audio patch in step 11.

Also, you can try VoodooHDA that works with many model. But it's always better to create a patch and install the generated aDummyHDA than to just install Voodoo that sometimes has issues with volume or audio quality.

This is what windows says about the audio device (apart from the typical HD audio):
func_01&ven_14f1&dev_1f72&subsys_10431530&rev_1000

Quick google search reveals it is indeed by Conexant. Ill try to reinstall it again and report back.

Edit: Hmmm no success. Did everything according to the guide but I still dont have output or input devices.
I dont have the same exact mirone folder structure as you though, which is weird considering we have the same model.

MironeAudio/14f11f72/279.48/clover

Edit: Used VoodooHDA - everything working! Thanks for your great support!

Last edited:
This is what windows says about the audio device (apart from the typical HD audio):
func_01&ven_14f1&dev_1f72&subsys_10431530&rev_1000

Quick google search reveals it is indeed by Conexant. Ill try to reinstall it again and report back.

Edit: Hmmm no success. Did everything according to the guide but I still dont have output or input devices.
I dont have the same exact mirone folder structure as you though, which is weird considering we have the same model.

MironeAudio/14f11f72/279.48/clover

Edit: Used VoodooHDA - everything working! Thanks for your great support!
The problem should be the patch added to Clover, that maybe is disabled, or something about aDummyHDA.kext not properly installed into S/L/E, but hey, if it works fine with Voodoo, then great! I am glad that you have your system working. Enjoy!

Oh, and about your model, is the exact same as mine, Conexant CX8050. I copied the path from another guide, thanks for pointing that. The proper path is the one you mentioned, so I have updated the guide to reflect that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back