Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS ZENBOOK UX305FA using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
i have an UX305FA with HighDPI Monitor.

I totally failed to get El Capitan running with the given Guide. However the default guide for 10.11 + the kexts from this guide got me running.

I have no custom DSDT so far but beside the HD5300 graphics and the Battery Indicator everything is running fine.
If i apply the provided DSTD & config.plist, the system does not boot anymore. Best what happens is that its hanging at AppleLPC and goes "black-screen" after a while.

1. If i do understand it right, i will need to make my own DSTD?

2. And sorry if this is a stupid question, but on the high dpi monitor everything is very small. I have never used a Retina Mac but i guess thats not how things look on them?! How do i configure that on a Hackintosh?

3. Is there an "easy" way to get the graphics running in accelerated mode?

Thanks

Hi,
i have an UX305FA with HighDPI Monitor.

I totally failed to get El Capitan running with the given Guide. However the default guide for 10.11 + the kexts from this guide got me running.

I have no custom DSDT so far but beside the HD5300 graphics and the Battery Indicator everything is running fine.
If i apply the provided DSTD & config.plist, the system does not boot anymore. Best what happens is that its hanging at AppleLPC and goes "black-screen" after a while.

1. If i do understand it right, i will need to make my own DSTD?

2. And sorry if this is a stupid question, but on the high dpi monitor everything is very small. I have never used a Retina Mac but i guess thats not how things look on them?! How do i configure that on a Hackintosh?

3. Is there an "easy" way to get the graphics running in accelerated mode?

Thanks

UHD requirements are detailed in the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

bamdad,

the install pdf "slow Lane" has full instructions for DSDT/SSDT patch using MacIASL. Make sure you set iasl version in Preferences, if not you will get errors. Note the differences form warning and errors. Only errors count. You have to either patch DSDT or use One of the FastLanePackages (i.e. with ALS or Without ALS). If you choose to use FastLanePackages all patches are already installed. Simply plug and Play. NOTE: /EFI/Clover/kexts/other should have FakeSMC and ApplePS2SmartTouchPad only.

jhawk

EDIT: one thing i *did* notice: booting takes significantly longer, it hangs for a while on the message:
Couldn't alloc class "AppleUSBComposite". weird. might this have something to do with the usb settings in the BIOS?

EDIT2: after some moking around with the BIOS settings (nothing has changed really iirc) and failing to boot for a few times, booting with caches disabled etc. it seems that mains power *is* recognised (dunno how long it will stay like that, i seems to be sticking across reboots), but sleep is only possible when the charger is unplugged.
$ pmset -g says that 'sleep prevented by UserEventAgent, apsd, UserEventAgent, UserEventAgent, UserEventAgent, powerd, powerd'

EDIT3: after a few sleep/resume cycles os x now os x (at least according to the menu bar) doesn't detect the charger again (the automatic brightness does however). weird? haven't even rebooted.

EDIT4: last one. if i boot another os, like a linux live usb, and reboot back into os x, the battery thing magically fixes itself. until a reboot or two. : (

EDIT5: battery icon usually craps out after getting the battery fully charged. if it discharges for a while, and mains is plugged back in, it's back to normal. btw, is there any way to turnoff the automatic brightness adjustment when (dis)connecting the power cord?

---

thanks for the reply.

i did everything again, read all the guides, and everything was working fine (except for the wifi ofc) until i 1. disabled rootless and 2. used migration assistant to copy my stuff from my old MBP.

now all the annoying bugs are back:

battery meter is there but it's not detecting that it's plugged in (ACPIBattery is installed and loaded), and the machine imediately wakes from sleep.

one more thing i've noticed recently is that bluetooth can't be disabled.

i just don't get it. i didn't change the bios settings, the EFI partition and clover's settings haven't been touched, and i don't suppose migration assistant installs .kexts, and even if it does, stuff came from a vanilla install on a macbook pro.

is anyone alse having this? something i missed? sorry btw for being a drag. i've installed countless hackintoshes perfectly with chameleon and some kexts, i just don't get why clover is so random.

cheers,
bamdad

If anyone manages to extract the bios 210 update pack from asus, i can provide you with modified bios...
i can store all default variables in it, optimal for OS X, longer battery life, updated components (vbios, GOP, Sata, etc...), changed logo, unlocked chipset section, a custom dsdt/ssdt's, nvme modules if its not supported already, and more...

like i did it for my ux301la here...

but you are almost going to loose guarantee, if you don't flash back the normal bios!

Tip:
On Asus laptop we have flashback, no one believes it, but its true, since i ****ed my laptop 3x up and my laptop is out of guarantee... i have a flasher here, but for those peoples that doesn't have a flasher and the laptop stops working:

1. Format a USB key to FAT32
2. copy your bios to it (UX305FA-AS.206) rename it to UX305FA.bin
3. put your flash drive into your bricked UX305FA
4. Press CTRL+FN+HOME or CTRL+FN+POS1 (keep it hold) if your laptop doesn't boot to flashback, keep it hold and press power once...

you should see that flashback turns on and flashes your bios chip, you can use any bios file, your dump from afu or any bios for your laptop from the homepage, just rename it...
If your boot loader is almost ****ed too (this is very rare) rename your bios file to AMIBOOTROM.bin and do everything like above!

That will be a live saver on your laptop...

Tip2: If any of you have a problem with Backlight Keyboard, doesn't working at all, not in windows, not in OS X and doesn't block on boot (like its truly dead)
You can PM me, i have a Boot tool, that cleans one region in the EEPROM, its not in the normal main bios region, so bios flashes would not help...
PM me for this!

For modified bios, i need the extracted 210 update version, not a dump from your laptop, since i don't want to modify a bios for specific users here... i would make only a general update package for all UX305FA versions... the problem is, the dump files, contain your specific DMI Tables, (Serial, UUID, etc...) The update versions don't provide DMI Tables, they are there, but they are clean...

By the way, you can already update ME Firmware of your laptop, its a safe way with FWUpdate,
just read this: http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
Syntax: FWupdLcl64 -F YourFile.bin (admin command prompt)

Cheers :)

i did everything again, read all the guides, and everything was working fine (except for the wifi ofc) until i 1. disabled rootless and 2. used migration assistant to copy my stuff from my old MBP.
bamdad

You don't have a MBP you have a hackintosh! FakeSMC mean anything to you?

"i did everything again, read all the guides, and everything was working fine (except for the wifi ofc)"
The system worked as it should for a hackintosh.

jhawk

You don't have a MBP you have a hackintosh! FakeSMC mean anything to you?

"i did everything again, read all the guides, and everything was working fine (except for the wifi ofc)"
The system worked as it should for a hackintosh.

jhawk

i *had* a MBP, but its display broke in an accident. i used migration assistant to transfer my home folder. not the other stuff. don't know what you mean by knowing what fakesmc is, it's a kext used to simulate apple's hardware platforms (in conjunction with clover's/chameleon's exported values iirc).

i know sometimes i ask stupid questions, but i'm not that stupid. : )

so are you having troubles with the fully charged battery not showing as 'plugged in' and/or sleep or not? : )

Stu177, if you haven't ordered yet, send me a pm and we can discuss.

Sarge999, never mind, ordered one from Amazon as I got suspended for "Advertising and Solicitation". Don't see how I was doing that but hey. Cheers for the offer and trying to help though.

i *had* a MBP, but its display broke in an accident. i used migration assistant to transfer my home folder. not the other stuff. don't know what you mean by knowing what fakesmc is, it's a kext used to simulate apple's hardware platforms (in conjunction with clover's/chameleon's exported values iirc).

i know sometimes i ask stupid questions, but i'm not that stupid. : )

so are you having troubles with the fully charged battery not showing as 'plugged in' and/or sleep or not? : )

I have zero problems on UX305 on EL Capitan , or previously on Yosemite. The point I was making was you can always assume if it worked on MBP that the same is true for a hackintosh, obviously FakeSmc implies a non-real kext to simulate the real thing, but may require different settings to support it. I run FastLanePackageALS. Did you note that ACPIBacklight.kext is no longer used, and needs to be removed if installed?

jhawk

I have zero problems on UX305 on EL Capitan , or previously on Yosemite. The point I was making was you can always assume if it worked on MBP that the same is true for a hackintosh, obviously FakeSmc implies a non-real kext to simulate the real thing, but may require different settings to support it. I run FastLanePackageALS. Did you note that ACPIBacklight.kext is no longer used, and needs to be removed if installed?

jhawk

funny, that's what i use too. and yes, i didn't even install ACPIBacklight.kext, as per your instructions. i'll try to check my BIOS revision, maybe that's the culprit. can't really think of anything else..

Interesting post.

Has anyone tested whether battery runtime with OS X improves over windows'?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back