Motherboard
ThinkPad X1c 2015
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
See https://github.com/gfoury/UX305FA-DSDT-Patch .

This is a collection of DSDT/SSDT patches and tools for the ASUS UX305FA laptop for OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

It requires Clover r3328 or later.

What you should expect works

• Keyboard and touchpad
  • Battery
  • Fn-keys
  • Brightness
  • Sleep
  • Bluetooth
  • WiFi when replaced (tested: Dell DW1560 WiFi)
Lightly tested

• Ambient Light Sensor (ALS)
Optional, drivers included:

• Sound, using VoodooHDA
  • The Ethernet dongle included with the UX305FA
Will never work

• Factory Intel WiFi card.

About hotpatches

If you're not interested in the details of DSDT patching, skip ahead to the "Intro" section.

If you've used other guides, you're probably familiar with the process of DSDT.dsl patching, using a tool like MaciASL.. This guide doesn't do that. Instead, it uses a different approach for ACPI patches: RehabMan's "hotpatch" style. The special clover.plist works together with small SSDT files to accomplish the same purpose as text-based DSDT/SSDT patching.

This set of hotpatches should work across BIOS revisions of the UX305FA. (It looks like it may work on the Broadwell-based 303LA and LB as well.)

How hotpatching works

Clover supports binary "search&replace" patch operations on DSDT/SSDT tables. Even simple binary patching can be very powerful.

• Some text DSDT patches like "rename GFX0 to IGPU" can be replaced with a single binary patch
  • Methods effectively can be deleted by renaming them to an unused name. For example the existing _DSM methods are renamed to XDSM, which nothing calls.
  • Existing methods like GPRW can be replaced. First, the original method definition is renamed to an unused name like XPRW. Then, a separate small SSDT provides a replacement "GPRW" method.

The only AML files you want

Later in this guide you will install SSDT files. The only files you should expect to see in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched are these:
File Description
SSDT-HACK.aml Brightness keys, USB, graphics properties, HDMI sound
SSDT-BATT.aml Battery monitorying
SSDT-DEBUG.aml ACPI logging
SSDT-ALS.aml Ambient light sensor. Optional.
SSDT-RMNE.am MAC address for NullEthernet. Optional.
SSDT.aml CPU power management. You will create this after installation with ssdtPRGen.sh.

Do not include DSDT.aml or any of the numeric SSDT-1.aml files. They will cause trouble.

Intro

These instructions are broken into two sections. The first, "Building", needs to be done on a working Mac. The second, "Target", is run on the UX305FA.

Building

Downloading

Clone or download UX305FA-DSDT-Patch from GitHub.

In this directory, the command sh download.sh will download a collection of drivers into downloads/. If you don't have iasl on your PATH, unzip it from downloads/tools/ into tools/, which is on the PATH for the Makefile.

Building AML files

For your UX305FA, you may later need a builtin Ethernet device (for the App Store, for example). If so, edit the Makefile and uncomment the USE_NULLETHERNET=1 line; then edit SSDT-RMNE.dsl to include a MAC address not in use by anyone. The MAC address of the factory WiFi card is a reasonable choice.

To build the AML files from DSL source, type make.

After sh download.sh and make, you will later copy this whole directory, UX305FA-DSDT-Patch, to the destination machine.

Installation media

Create your 10.11 installation USB drive according to RehabMan's guide. Some notes:

• We want Clover UEFI, not Clover Legacy.
  • For partitioning the USB drive, GPT is preferred. (I have not tested MBR.)

Mounting the installer's EFI partition

Because we're using the GPT format, the EFI partition on the USB installer is not automatically mounted when the drive is inserted.

There is a quirk in the Clover installer: after installing to USB, the USB EFI partition may be mounted at /Volumes/ESP.

If you want to mount the USB EFI partition at another time:

1. If /Volumes/EFI already exists, use diskutil unmont /Volumes/EFI to unmount it.
  2. Run diskutil list to find the disk number of the USB drive, like disk1
  3. Run diskutil mount /dev/disk1s1 to mount the EFI partition at /Volumes/EFI

Configuring Clover for the installer

On the USB EFI partition, the only directory in EFI/CLOVER/kexts should be Other. EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other should only contain FakeSMC.kext (from downloads/kexts/RehabMan-FakeSMC-2015-1230.zip) and ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext (from SmartTouchPad_v4.4_Final_64bit.zip).

RehabMan's config file config_HD5300_5500_5600_6000.plist is a good choice for config.plist. Change Graphics/Inject/Intel to false for initial installation.

Copying files to USB

You will need these files handy on the target machine: the UX305FA-DSDT-Patch directory you prepared, FakeSMC.kext, ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext, HFSPlus.efi, and the Clover installer. Copy them to a USB drive. If you do not have another USB drive handy, you could copy those files to a folder on the Install OS X El Capitan disk.

Target

BIOS settings

To get into the BIOS on this machine, press ESC while the "ASUS" logo is on screen.

Reset the BIOS settings to default with the menu item "Save & Exit: Restore Defaults".

Under "Security: Secure Boot menu", set "Secure Boot Control" to Disabled.

Under "Boot", set "Fast Boot" to Disabled, and "Launch CSM" to Enabled.

Under "Advanced", set "VT-d" to Disabled.

Under "Advanced: Graphics Configuration", set "DVMT Pre-Allocated" to 128M.

Don't forget to "Save & Exit: Save Changes".

Installing OS X

Follow RehabMan's installation guide.

Once you've reached "Post Installation" in RehabMan's guide, you'll need to copy the files described in "Copying files to USB" to the Desktop. After copying, I recommend ejecting all USB drives at this point.

There is currently a bug in the trackpad driver: scrolling will not work until you have opened System Preferences:Trackpad, and changed "Scrolling speed" at least once. It can be difficult to navigate the Clover installer without scrolling.

Install Clover as described in the guide.

There is a quirk in the Clover installer: after installing, the EFI partition may be mounted at /Volumes/ESP.

Otherwise, to mount the hard drive EFI partition:

1. If /Volumes/EFI already exists, use diskutil unmont /Volumes/EFI to unmount it.
  2. Run diskutil list to find the disk number of the hard drive. It is very likely disk0.
  3. Run diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1 to mount the EFI partition at /Volumes/EFI

Because there will be an EFI partition on both your installation media and the hard drive, mounting the right EFI partition can be tricky. It is less prone to human error if you don't have any USB disks plugged in.

After installing Clover, remember to install HFSPlus.efi, FakeSMC.kext, and ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext to the hard drive's EFI partition as you did with the USB install media.

Installing the patches

From the UX305FA-DSDT-Patch directory, copy build/*.aml to the EFI partition's EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory.

The AML files completely depend on DSDT/SSDT patches done by Clover according to the config.plist. Copy build/config.plist to EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.

If you have the 1920x1080 display, config.plist is done. See the next section if you have a QHD/UHD display.

I hate the ambient light sensor, and its driver has never worked quite right for me. Feel free to remove EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-ALS.dsl.

Once you're done with this section, you should be able to reboot from the hard drive.

Side note: QHD/UHD displays

(Skip this section if you have the FHD/1920x1080 display.)

If you have the QHD/UHD display, the config.plist option Graphics/Inject/Intel set to true will cause a hang at boot until you have patched IOKit. Turn off Intel injection by setting Graphics/Inject/Intel to false until then.

To patch IOKit on QHD/UHD machines, I use macPixelClockPatcher.command from floris497's repository.

OS upgrades tend to overwrite the IOKit patch, which can make your QHD/UHD machine unbootable with injection. You can disable Graphics/Inject/Intel for a single boot using Clover options. On the main Clover screen, press O to bring up Options, choose Graphics Injector menu then press space on the InjectIntel option. Press ESC twice and boot normally. Once you're in the OS, you can re-run the IOKit patcher.

Installing drivers and tools

I recommend not logging into any Apple services until you have completed this section and the next.

On the target machine, you can run sudo ./install_downloads.sh in this UX305FA-DSDT-Patch directory to set up kexts. This installs:

• ACPIBatteryManager
  • ACPIDebug
  • ApplePS2SmartTouchPad v4.4 (4.5 doesn't work as well on UX305FA)
  • AsusNBFnKeys v2.4 (matches v4.4, try a later version for ALS)
  • BrcmPatchRAM2 and BrcmFirmwareRepo
  • FakePCIID
  • FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi (for DW1560)
  • FakeSMC
  • IntelBacklight
  • NullEthernet

The kexts will be installed into /Library/Extensions.

NullEthernet will only be loaded if you edited the Makefile and SSDT-RMNE.dsl.

In this UX305FA-DSDT-Patch directory is AX88772-USB-Ethernet.dmg, which is a driver for the USB Ethernet dongle which comes with the UX305FA. Note that it appears to replace the Apple USB Ethernet driver. It does come with an uninstall/restore script.

Sound won't work without a driver. There are three choices for that; see http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...s-zenbook-ux305fa-el-capitan.html#post1209381 for McShmoopy's explanation of what they mean.

VoodooHDA

The VoodooHDA installer is available in downloads/pkgs/.
The directory voodohda-fix contains a patch for headphone detaction. See voodoohda-fix/readme.txt.
Mic switching is unsupported.

Patched AppleHDA

Thanks to anerik70, there is a patched AppleHDA. It also supports HDMI audio (with the current config.plist). I have not tested it as much.
The dummy kext is in ADummy.kext.zip. You can install it with sudo unzip -X ADummy.kext.zip -d /Library/Extensions. If you installed VoodooHDA previously, remember to remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDADisabler.kext.
Like my VoodooHDA, this particular AppleHDA does not support mic switching. If you feel like messing with it, https://github.com/Mirone/AppleHDAPatcher/tree/master/Patches/Laptop/CX20752 may have useful files. (McShmoopy is pretty sure mic switching isn't possible with AppleHDA.)

Hybrid VoodooHDA/AppleHDA

McShmoopy has built a hybrid VoodooHDA/AppleHDA configuration, which handles both internal and HDMI audio. See the above link, and the original http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...hda-jack-sense-auto-switching-hdmi-audio.html for details.

Once you have a network

You still need CPU power management. See the Beta branch of Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh. (The master branch will not work.) The SSDT.aml it generates needs to go in the EFI partition's EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory.

To improve performance and to (potentially) enable Apple services, you need SMBIOS information configured. You can add appropriate SMBIOS settings to EFI/CLOVER/config.plist, probably using a tool like Clover Configurator. This guide does not cover the subject, but a good choice for ProductName is MacBookAir7,2.

You're done!

Driver sources

Most drivers are downloaded as part of download.sh. Here are the sources for the other drivers:

Random notes

The command to force-enable HiDPI mode is

Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

On the 1920x1080 display: in order to use HiDPI mode at resolutions above 960x540, you need SwitchResX. Select your monitor, switch to the "Custom Resolutions" tab, then use "+" to add "Scaled" resolutions at twice the size you really want. "3200x1800" gives a virtual 1600x900 display.

Credits

jhawk wrote the UX305FA installation guide for 10.10. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-guides/166818-guide-asus-zenbook-ux305fa-using-clover-uefi.html

Machanical's guide to the similar UX303LA was helpful. http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...e-asus-zenbook-ux303la-broadwell-edition.html

EMlyDinEsH maintains the touchpad driver.

RehabMan seems to maintain...just about everything else. :) He also convinced me to try the no-patch DSDT technique.

Last edited:
Moved to guides subforum.

I've made two updates since the initial post:

With power connected, GLAN would instant-wake. Fixed in 338e1168d.

If you're using VoodooHDA, victor123ong's patch will fix headphone detection. See https://github.com/gfoury/UX305FA-DSDT-Patch/tree/master/voodoohda-fix . (Thanks to sushivillage for finding the kext.) Mic detection should be possible, but it is not implemented yet; help is welcome.

I've added AppleHDA as a choice of sound driver. It works for internal speakers and HDMI. I've added a link to McShmoopy's hybrid VoodooHDA/AppleHDA setup as well.

The solo AppleHDA support depends on anerik70's patched ADummyHDA.kext (thanks!) and config.plist settings, which are both included.

If you're using another guide, the two config.plist kext patches you'll need are in https://github.com/gfoury/UX305FA-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/config_master.plist : "HDMI-audio, port 0204, 0x16120003 0x16120005 0x16120006" and "Audio codec CX20752".

Thanks to McShmoopy for encouraging me to work on HDMI audio.

I've added AppleHDA as a choice of sound driver. It works for internal speakers and HDMI. I've added a link to McShmoopy's hybrid VoodooHDA/AppleHDA setup as well.

The solo AppleHDA support depends on anerik70's patched ADummyHDA.kext (thanks!) and config.plist settings, which are both included.

If you're using another guide, the two config.plist kext patches you'll need are in https://github.com/gfoury/UX305FA-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/config_master.plist : "HDMI-audio, port 0204, 0x16120003 0x16120005 0x16120006" and "Audio codec CX20752".

Thanks to McShmoopy for encouraging me to work on HDMI audio.

Which do you suggest: the hybrid HDA or the solo AppleHDA with ADummyHDA?

I could use somebody besides me testing the solo AppleHDA. I'm pretty sure I got the HDMI patch right, but not certain.

It's nice to have multiple strategies for audio around in case system updates break things. Also, I want to do microphone switching at some point, and I think that may be easier for me in VoodooHDA. All of the layout.xml stuff is just a black box for me right now.

I could use somebody besides me testing the solo AppleHDA. I'm pretty sure I got the HDMI patch right, but not certain.

It's nice to have multiple strategies for audio around in case system updates break things. Also, I want to do microphone switching at some point, and I think that may be easier for me in VoodooHDA. All of the layout.xml stuff is just a black box for me right now.

Is there any chance you can reply to this with a zip file of your solo AppleHDA with the HDMI patch, and the ADummyHDA that it requires?

I tried (seperately) with the links from http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...hda-jack-sense-auto-switching-hdmi-audio.html post #6 and with a few others. Now, my system report from "about this mac" doesn't show any audio devices connected. Before trying to fix the HDMI audio issue at all, I had 3: headphone jack, internal speakers, and HDMI. The headphone jack and the speakers worked, and now none exist. How do I get them back?

Here are the ioregs to compare, if they'll help answer my issues (and any others which may need to be addressed). RehabMan suggested I install AppleIntelInfo.kext, but when I tried that I got a kernel panic, so I'll try that again later.

Attachments

• Jacob's Zenhackbook, 23 Feb. 2016.ioreg
    2.2 MB · Views: 412
  • ZenbookHackintosh.ioreg
    2.4 MB · Views: 453
Is there any chance you can reply to this with a zip file of your solo AppleHDA with the HDMI patch, and the ADummyHDA that it requires?

I'm using the stock AppleHDA. It is patched with Clover. (There is a second patch for HDMI.)

I don't think the rules allow me to give you the stock AppleHDA, but you can use the tool Pacifist to extract it from the OS X 10.11.3 combo update pkg.

UPDATE: No, you can't get it all from the combo update. I was wrong. The combo update is missing many files.

(Screenshot of Pacifist attached.) Here is the SHA checksum:
Code:
$ shasum /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA
be47b22793bf4b8573c2228fd3422cf441d82cc3 [...]

The ADummyHDA.kext is on GitHub.

I'll poke at the ioreg later...

pacifist-s-l.png

Last edited:

Hi Mate
In almost every instance it is always better to use patched AppleHDA as it will always have the correct behaviour whereas with VoodooHDA it can be slightly temperamental. I would even prefer to use AppleHDA for the Conexant 20751/2, however as highlighted by Mirone to me when I contacted him (The guy who made the AppleHDA patch for the codec) there are issues with the microphone that for the most part will not ever work on AppleHDA.

If you have no need for the internal microphone / combo jack microphone or dont mind using a USB solution then AppleHDA all the way! I can provide to you the kext and clover patches Ive used for only AppleHDA with HDMI audio working too. I like to skype and facetime audio off my hackintosh alot and for that reason alone Im using VoodooHDA as it pretty much has the internal microphone working straight away!

If you choose the AppleHDA route then youll need a vanilla unpatched AppleHDA in S/L/E, and you just add the config patches to your own clover config and place DummyHDA in S/L/E and repair permissions and you should be all set! If you would rather do the hybrid solution then please check out my post for the files and instructions!

Note: Just realised that my laptop is a UX303 and not a UX305 so the HDMI patch may not work depending if youre using a haswell or broawell!

All the Best

Attachments

• config.plist
    1.5 KB · Views: 571
  • DummyHDA.kext.zip
    15.2 KB · Views: 335
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back