Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS ZENBOOK UX305FA for El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ashp9 : thx, i got power management working (checked it with intel cpu tool). i just want to asked how is your performance on your asus having some browser tabs open? with my config scrolling isn't really smooth. "fancy" websites dont scroll smooth. or is it the m-core processor - too weak (i cant imagine)? and how long last your battery. my asus with qhd display shows round about 6 hours. is that quite good? another thing ... brightness control doesnt work all always(no pop-up i.e. after sleep mode or other situations). after reboot it works mostly. i experienced that on logon screen brightness control works and after login its gone. strange behavior.

hmm it sounds like you dont have correct power management, everything is smooth here, with multiple things open... Is the green line moving on the Intel tool?

Have you got all the SSDT's in acpi/patched?

Yepp, all SSDTs patched in acpi ... and power management works ... scrolling isnt smooth on websites with a lot of ads (cpu is going to 2 gig hz rapidly) ...

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-06 um 22.08.01.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-06 um 22.08.01.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 106
Was working on El Capitan the whole day today with next to no issues

1. when I shook the mouse really fast, the icon got large. This seems like it might be a thing it's meant to do though.
2. USB wifi sucks, naturally
3. I couldn't get it to load up a second monitor when I connected via hdmi. on 0x16260006 it acknowledged the HDMI cable being connected but after a black screen for a few seconds (as you have when it's setting up the two screen layout) it went back to how it was before. the monitor I was connecting to flickered and went into standby.

Practically all the results I've gotten from searching about number 3 have been about hdmi audio so I'm assuming this isn't an issue for most people? Pressing Fn+F8 together (keys at default settings) seemed to repeat the process that occurred when I connected the two devices on 0x16260006 too.

Yepp, all SSDTs patched in acpi ... and power management works ... scrolling isnt smooth on websites with a lot of ads (cpu is going to 2 gig hz rapidly) ...
Thats really strange - maybe its more of a trackpad issue? What's scrolling like when using the down keyboard key?
Also looking from your attachment, its barely going above 1Ghz. Could try posting your clover config and we can see if there's anything amiss.

Was working on El Capitan the whole day today with next to no issues

1. when I shook the mouse really fast, the icon got large. This seems like it might be a thing it's meant to do though.
2. USB wifi sucks, naturally
3. I couldn't get it to load up a second monitor when I connected via hdmi. on 0x16260006 it acknowledged the HDMI cable being connected but after a black screen for a few seconds (as you have when it's setting up the two screen layout) it went back to how it was before. the monitor I was connecting to flickered and went into standby.

Practically all the results I've gotten from searching about number 3 have been about hdmi audio so I'm assuming this isn't an issue for most people? Pressing Fn+F8 together (keys at default settings) seemed to repeat the process that occurred when I connected the two devices on 0x16260006 too.

1. Yup meant to do that :)
2. Yep, Much better experience when just replacing the Wifi card
3 . Try using 0x16160000 or 0x16160002 - Those are the correct IDs for 5500

Remember your laptop is different to the one the guide is for, so the ID others are using is different so the port definitions usually are.

ur clover config and we can see
Thats really strange - maybe its more of a trackpad issue? What's scrolling like when using the down keyboard key?
Also looking from your attachment, its barely going above 1Ghz. Could try posting your clover config and we can see if there's anything amiss.

1. Yup meant to do that :)
2. Yep, Much better experience when just replacing the Wifi card
3 . Try using 0x16160000 or 0x16160002 - Those are the correct IDs for 5500

Remember your laptop is different to the one the guide is for, so the ID others are using is different so the port definitions usually are.

1. regading browsing
hi again, i could post the config.plist ... but its exactly like yours ... should i post it anyway? its definitely not a trackpad issue. the system overall runs smooth - no lagging at all - except while browsing on websites with lots of ads. i think the right word for it is "it stutters". i have read on amazon reviews the behavior is also under windows. i have no idea why. it shouldnt be a problem for the cpu.

2. regarding brightness control
i figured out that the behavior is always the same. on logon screen brightness control via Fn+F5/F6 is working fine - after login its gone. how can this be?

3. regarding battery
how long last your battery if full charged?

thx man!

Last edited:
1. regading browsing
hi again, i could post the config.plist ... but its exactly like yours ... should i post it anyway? its definitely not a trackpad issue. the system overall runs smooth - no lagging at all - except while browsing on websites with lots of ads. i think the right word for it is "it stutters". i have read on amazon reviews the behavior is also under windows. i have no idea why. it shouldnt be a problem for the cpu.

2. regarding brightness control
i figured out that the behavior is always the same. on logon screen brightness control via Fn+F5/F6 is working fine - after login its gone. how can this be?

3. regarding battery
how long last your battery if full charged?

thx man!

Fair enough then if it's only on websites that are full of ads then it's probably just a poorly built website - installing an adblocker for Chrome such as uBlock may help.

Not sure about brightness control, do you have the correct kexts such as IntelBacklight and AsusFN something... (forgot name)

Battery all depends on usage... the more cpu/gpu intensive apps you're using the shorter the battery will last. It sounds like the sites you're visiting with lots of ads are using a lot of your laptops cpu so will be limiting battery time.

Fair enough then if it's only on websites that are full of ads then it's probably just a poorly built website - installing an adblocker for Chrome such as uBlock may help.

Not sure about brightness control, do you have the correct kexts such as IntelBacklight and AsusFN something... (forgot name)

Battery all depends on usage... the more cpu/gpu intensive apps you're using the shorter the battery will last. It sounds like the sites you're visiting with lots of ads are using a lot of your laptops cpu so will be limiting battery time.

i found out that browsing with safari stuttering is not as much as with firefox ... anyway ... browsing with safari stutters also - but less. to compare it i used for both browser google picture search with "mac os". no smooth scrolling on both browsers :/ ... may be its something with the graphics driver? so, its not only websites with lot of ads. that was a wrong assumption.

Last edited:
I'm using the stock AppleHDA. It is patched with Clover. (There is a second patch for HDMI.)

UPDATE: No, you can't get it all from the combo update. I was wrong. The combo update is missing many files.

View attachment 178316

Its been a while since I last looked at this forum or edited my laptop. I just re-read a lot and patched the config.plist to work with AppleHDA instead of the VoodooHDA, but the same 2 issues that I've ignored over the past few months didn't change. The 2 issues are 1-the sound preferences pane doesn't load or open in system preferences, and 2-HDMI audio still doesn't work...which was the main reason I revisited the problem! Are there any patches that I need to do in the AppleHDA info.plist or any of its resources that I missed? What is preventing me from using system preferences' sound preference pane?

Aside from the 2 audio issues, I still need to implement the power management that RehabMan mentioned months ago. Its been too long for me to remember where I left off with instructions because of exams and summer job stuff, but I don't want to have to start all over again when I've been using my laptop for all this time with very, very few issues. The remaining issues are rare mouse freezing (solvable by rebooting), and crashing while sleeping for too long (kinda self explanatory how that isn't major).

Even though these aren't major issues, I still would like some feedback on how to make a near-perfect system nearer, especially HDMI audio and the preferences. I'll attach my ioreg, AppleHDA info.plist, config.plist, and screenshots for you to review for advice.

Attachments

• config.plist
    12.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Info.plist
    3.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 23.09.35.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 23.09.35.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 23.10.15.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 23.10.15.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • Jacob's Zenhackbook, 7 July 2016.zip
    522.9 KB · Views: 79

Hi again,

i played a little with resolutions and i figured out switching to non- HiDPI mode Scrolling is almost perfect:

- 1600x900 and HiDPI -> stuttering on Websites
- 1600x900 and non HiDPI -> almost perfect

some hints/advices ... may be i missed something to configure ... may be @RehabMan knows of it?

Hi again,

i played a little with resolutions and i figured out switching to non- HiDPI mode Scrolling is almost perfect:

- 1600x900 and HiDPI -> stuttering on Websites
- 1600x900 and non HiDPI -> almost perfect

some hints/advices ... may be i missed something to configure ... may be @RehabMan knows of it?

Need details...

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back