Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo 15 OLED UX582 OpenCore

@shiecldk I know I've already mentioned it on github, but just for this thread I thought I should mention that the primary display on the UX481 is just an LCD screen. As of yet, there isn't a native OLED implementation for macOS; the closest is Apple's own protocol for their Retina displays (which for clarity are mini-LED, not OLED). I gave a better explanation on Github in #21 covering slightly more technical detail for some more context on the issue:

Building on this, there may still hope for native OLED compatibility in macOS down the line. There are rumors that Apple may be adopting OLED for future macbooks by Q4 of 2024. Development should trickle into beta builds of macOS in earlier quarters of 2024 or even later quarters this year based on their usual development windows. This is indicated by supply chain analysis from Ming-Chi Kuo (article):

Regarding HDMI, it unfortunately won't work for the UX581/UX582 models if it is hard wired to the dGPU (Nvidia Optimus). They don't have a mux switch so it can't be set to the iGPU instead if this is the case. There's some more detail as to how this works in the GPU Buyer's Guide from Dortania. I'm not familiar with whether the UEFIGraphicsFB kext is a real workaround, as this may not be supported by macOS's graphics switching when using the iGPU and dGPU simultaneously.
Thank you. Hope that would be the case. I did see someone with Razer 17" laptop being able to adjust the OLED brightness on GitHub. I can open a discussion back on GitHub although I'm pretty doubtful if that is authentic.

I also have a Zenbook Pro Duo where the OLED display shows some kind of pattern. Is it because of the touchscreen? Do you see it too? It is not easy to see in the picture, it looks like very small dots.
OLED.jpg

It would be cool if someone could upload the Asus wallpapers.

9. Changelog
  • Jan 27, 2023:
    • Updated kexts for macOS Ventura.
    • Updated VoodooI2C to 2.7.1.
    • Adjusted kernel sequence (kext load sequence) mainly for SMC kexts.
    • Enabled more temperature sensors readings after adjusting kernel sequence.
    • Removed redundant Intel firmware in AirportItlwm.kext, IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext, and IntelBluetoothInjector.kext to speed up boot time.
    • Fixed config.plist errors.
    • Tested and confirmed working with macOS Ventura. (Currently not recommended to upgrade to macOS Ventur; need to fix the HiHPI problem on ScreenPad)
  • Jan 26, 2023:
    • Updated kexts for macOS Ventura.
    • Updated VoodooI2C to 2.7.1.
    • Updated OpenCore to 0.8.8.
  • Jan 11, 2022:
    • Added SSDT-ETPD.aml to attempt Trackpad GPIO mode. (Thanks to @gvkt.)
    • Disabled SSDT-ELAN-POLLING.aml.
    • Renamed SSDT-EC-USBX.aml to SSDT-EC-USBX-LAPTOP.aml.
    • Removed XhciPortLimit quirk in config.plist to fix USB 1.0/2.0 devices. (Thanks to @Ingener001.)
    • Updated kexts.
    • Updated OpenCore to 0.7.6.
    • Updated README.md.
  • Dec 14, 2021:
    • Fixed multitouch problem on ScreenPad. (Thanks to @gvkt and @sqlsec.)
  • Nov 7, 2021:
    • Fixed boot problems in macOS Monterey. (Thanks to @atrslb.)
    • Fixed main monitor problem at boot. (Thanks to @atrslb.)
    • Updated kexts for macOS Monterey.
    • Updated OpenCore to 0.7.5.
    • Updated README.md.
  • Sept 17, 2021:
    • Set ProcessorType to 0 in config.plist for CPU default recognition.
    • Updated EFI drivers.
    • Updated README.md.
  • Sept 14, 2021:
    • Updated ACPI tables and kexts to fix USB, keyboard backlight, and VoodooI2C polling. (Thanks to @atrslb.)
    • Updated README.md.
    • Removed redundant ACPI tables and kexts.
  • Sept 12, 2021:
    • Added kexts for Fix-ups and Thunderbolt. (Currently disabled for more tests to be done).
  • Sept 11, 2021:
    • Updated the installation guide.
  • Sept 10, 2021:
    • Pushed initial commit on the installation guide.
Hi,
now is it possibile to use thunderbolt on mac to extend desktop and use egpus like blackmagic gpus?

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    53.5 MB · Views: 7
Back