Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z87-Plus
CPU
i5-4460
Graphics
GTX 960
Work completed - Audio is working, all I am waiting for is NVidia drivers
apart from that this seems to be a solid build :)
Many thanks for all help on the forum and to Tony OFC!

EDIT: USB is not working yet. I am fiddling with High Sierra install as well, that at least has NVidia drivers

Article To-Dos:
  • Add BIOS settings screenshot
Hi All,

Got a successful and fairly easy Mojave install after a lot of trial and error.

Pre-Install Steps:
  • Create Mojave installer on external disk using Unibeast 9.0 - I would suggest a USB-attached external drive, saves a lot of trouble when trying to boot. My motherboard is extremely picky when it comes to USB sticks.
  • Follow THESE steps, but do NOT stop there. Your system won't boot just yet.
  • You will need to re-install Clover with some add-ons - latest version I used is v4700 EDIT: new version 4722
    • With Clover target your disk where you created your Mojave installer
    • Then customize the install of Clover and:
      • Add AptioMemoryFix-64 under UEFI drivers - or system WON'T boot!
      • Add APFSDriverLoader-64 under UEFI drivers - or installer will not find you APFS partition and you will have no choices to boot from with an empty Clover screen!
    • I also copied a few kext files from my Sierra install I had on the same box. See zip attached. These go under your EFI partition /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Reboot and press F2 or DEL to enter the Z87-Plus BIOS. Mine is version 2103, and it seems to be the latest one. Check here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/
    • Hit F7 to go to Advanced Mode
    • Load Optimized Defaults
    • <Add Bios settings>
Install Steps:
  • Clover will start from your USB disk, make sure that when the installer reboot for the 1st time you switch booting from the installer disk to the partially installed Mojave disk - so the installer will continue. (I suspect that the first few minutes prior to the first reboot it's actually just copying the whole installer to the target disk)
  • During install screen I used disk utility to format my target disk to HFS+J and named it Mojave - so I'll reference it as Mojave disk.
  • The install actually formatted the drive as APFS - seem it did a container disk 'inside' the main APFS partition somehow, it looks like this: (Sorry, not familiar with APFS just yet)
  • Code:
    /dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *480.1 GB   disk0
       1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
       2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         479.9 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
       0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +479.9 GB   disk1
                                     Physical Store disk0s2
       1:                APFS Volume Mojave                  14.0 GB    disk1s1
       2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 44.5 MB    disk1s2
       3:                APFS Volume Recovery                512.4 MB   disk1s3
       4:                APFS Volume VM                      2.1 GB     disk1s4

Post install:

• Your system is not bootable at the moment, only from the USB disk you used when installing.
  • There's an updated Clover version which I used. It is v4722 now.
  • Target your Mojave disk this time and don't forget that you need to add the same kexts and UEFI drivers. (my system stopped booting, so had to go back to the installer where you can start a terminal and move files from the install disk's EFI partition to the Mojave disk's EFI partition)
  • Audio - EDITED:
    • See info here: Link
    • MultiBeast is only at v10.4 and is not 'officially' Mojave-compliant - I DID NOT use Multibeast on this Mojave install
    • Since I have a new install and no audio device I am going with method 2: Lilu and AppleALC
    • Downloads
      1. AppleALC - version is 1.3.3
      2. Lilu - version 1.2.8
    • ALC892 is supported
    • 1.3.3 and 1.2.8 are zipped, just unzip them and put both kexts on the Desktop
    • Run KextBeast utility, it asks for a pwd and installs (all) kexts from the desktop to /Library/Extensions
    • You can run kextutility to repair any permissions - but I actually forgot to do it.
      • After this I ran EFImounter to mount EFI partition
      • Opened Clover Configurator and opened /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.pslist
      • In Devices you need to inject 2 (or at least in my particular case)
      • S/PDIF is working :)
      • Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 0.31.26.png
Build To-Dos:
  • SOLVED - see above: Audio is missing so far (Mobo has ALC892 according to specs) - forum digging is in progress
  • SOLVED: Intel Graphics 4600 is flickering - Intel 4xxx driver doesn't seem to be loaded, it's a generic driver
    • after a reboot this worked fine
  • Nvidia is yet to release Mojave drivers so I removed the GTX960 and actually using the onboard Intel 4600 with a DVI cable, good things come to those who wait.

Attachments

• Other.zip
    373.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 2.06.01.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 2.06.01.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 852
  • Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 1.32.57.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 1.32.57.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 707
  • Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 1.33.08.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 1.33.08.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 667
  • Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 1.33.20.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 1.33.20.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 682
  • Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 5.07.17.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 5.07.17.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 740
  • Screenshot 2018-10-31 at 23.16.47.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-31 at 23.16.47.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 642
  • Screenshot 2018-10-31 at 23.16.55.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-31 at 23.16.55.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
Hi Danzi, thanks for your post
Can you please help...
I'm having Asus motherboard as well
Motherboard:
ASUS p8z68-v lx
I managed to install Mac OS Mojave successfully everything works except from that I Can't boot Mojave from hard drive only with USB. my hard drive is HDD not SSD
With de installation I chose UEFI boot mode same as my motherboard
after installation I did copy de EFI folder from the USB to the EFI on de hard drive but still not booting from hard drive
Im attaching from my hard drive
the config.plist (boot) inside the EFI the kexts folder inside the EFI and my computer hardware
please help
thank you

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 327
  • image.png
    image.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 518
  • image.png
    image.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 709
Work in Progress article

Article To-Dos:

Hi All,

Pre-Install Steps:
  • Create Mojave installer on external disk using Unibeast 9.0 - I would suggest a USB-attached external drive, saves a lot of trouble when trying to boot. The motherboard is extremely picky when it comes to USB sticks. Follow THESE steps, but do NOT stop there. Your system won't boot just yet.
  • You will need to re-install Clover with some add-ons - latest version I used is v4700 EDIT: new version 4722
    • With Clover target your disk where your Mojave installer is
    • Add AptioMemoryFix-64 under UEFI drivers
    • Add APFSDriverLoader-64 under UEFI drivers
    • I also copied a few kext files from my Sierra install I had on the same box. See zip attached. These go under your EFI partition /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Reboot and press F2 or DEL to enter the Z87-Plus BIOS. Mine is version 2103, and it seems to be the latest one. Check here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/
    • <Add Bios settings>
Install Steps:
  • Clover will start from your USB disk, make sure that when the installer reboot for the 1st time you switch booting from the installer disk to the partially installed Mojave disk - so the installer will continue. (I suspect that the first few minutes prior to the first reboot it's actually just copying the whole installer to the target disk)
  • During install screen I used disk utility to format my target disk and named it Mojave - so I'll reference it as Mojave disk.
  • My particular install actually formatted the drive as APFS - actually it did a container disk 'inside' the HFS partition somehow, it looks like this: (Sorry, not familiar with APFS just yet)
  • Code:

Physical Store disk0s2

Post install:

• Your system is not bootable at the moment, only from the USB disk you used when installing.
  • Target your Mojave disk this time and don't forget that you need to add the same kexts and UEFI drivers. (my system stopped booting, so had to go back to the installer where you can start a terminal and move files from the install disk's EFI partition to the Mojave disk's EFI partition)
  • Audio
    • MultiBeast is only at v10.4 and is not 'officially' Mojave-compliant - I DID NOT use Multibeast on this Mojave install
    • Since I have a new install and no audio device I am going with method 2: Lilu and AppleALC
    • Downloads
      1. AppleALC - version is 1.3.2 at the time of writing
      2. Lilu - version 1.2.7 at the time of writing
    • ALC892 is supported:
    • View attachment 361052

Build To-Dos:
  • Audio is missing so far (Mobo has ALC892 according to specs) - forum digging is in progress
  • Intel Graphics 4600 is flickering - Intel 4xxx driver doesn't seem to be loaded, it's a generic driver
    • EDIT: after a reboot this worked fine
  • Nvidia is yet to release Mojave drivers so I removed the GTX960 and actually using the onboard Intel 4600 with a DVI cable, good things come to those who wait.
Work in Progress article

Article To-Dos:

Hi All,

Pre-Install Steps:
  • Create Mojave installer on external disk using Unibeast 9.0 - I would suggest a USB-attached external drive, saves a lot of trouble when trying to boot. The motherboard is extremely picky when it comes to USB sticks. Follow THESE steps, but do NOT stop there. Your system won't boot just yet.
    • With Clover target your disk where your Mojave installer is
    • <Add Bios settings>
Install Steps:
  • During install screen I used disk utility to format my target disk and named it Mojave - so I'll reference it as Mojave disk.
  • My particular install actually formatted the drive as APFS - actually it did a container disk 'inside' the HFS partition somehow, it looks like this: (Sorry, not familiar with APFS just yet)
  • Code:

Physical Store disk0s2

Post install:

• Audio
    • Downloads
      1. AppleALC - version is 1.3.2 at the time of writing
      2. Lilu - version 1.2.7 at the time of writing
    • ALC892 is supported:
    • View attachment 361052

Build To-Dos:
  • Audio is missing so far (Mobo has ALC892 according to specs) - forum digging is in progress
  • Intel Graphics 4600 is flickering - Intel 4xxx driver doesn't seem to be loaded, it's a generic driver
    • EDIT: after a reboot this worked fine

Can you please help...
Motherboard:
ASUS p8z68-v lx
I managed to install Mac OS Mojave successfully everything works except from that I Can't boot Mojave from hard drive only with USB. my hard drive is HDD not SSD
after installation I did copy de EFI folder from the USB to the EFI on de hard drive but still not booting from hard drive
the config.plist (boot) inside the EFI the kexts folder inside the EFI and my computer hardware
please help
thank you

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 323
  • image.png
    image.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 374
  • image.png
    image.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 386
Hi Danz,

Please post your clover setting, i have same Asus z87plus motherboard but instaler woont booting. THX!

Can you please help...
Motherboard:
ASUS p8z68-v lx
please help
thank you

I think you are missing these two:
Also, I think you do not need to copy the EFI folder. You can just run Clover v4722 and target your installation disk (USB stick). It will mount the EFI partition and configure the EFI folder there.

Hi Danz,

Please post your clover setting, i have same Asus z87plus motherboard but instaler woont booting. THX!

Here you go.

If it doesn't boot, I think it hangs on END RandomSeed +++++++ and this is due to AptioMemoryFix missing.

When Clover shows up, go to options and in the first line, hit enter and add -v with a space at the end of the line. Boot will produce a lot of output for further troubleshooting. ;-)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 0.36.59.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 0.36.59.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 349
  • config.plist
    23.3 KB · Views: 271
  • Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 0.38.55.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 0.38.55.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 308
Also, I think you do not need to copy the EFI folder. You can just run Clover v4722 and target your installation disk (USB stick). It will mount the EFI partition and configure the EFI folder there.

Thanks for your reply, I installed the:
  • Add APFSDriverLoader-64 under UEFI drivers. still not booting from hard drive, it is only booting with the help of the USB
  • Im attaching a photo of all the UEFI drivers that I installed. any other things I can try to do? thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 2.32.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 2.32.22 PM.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
  • Add APFSDriverLoader-64 under UEFI drivers. still not booting from hard drive, it is only booting with the help of the USB
  • Im attaching a photo of all the UEFI drivers that I installed. any other things I can try to do? thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 2.32.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 2.32.22 PM.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

What do you have in kexts/10.14 and kexts/Other folders?

FakeSMC.kext will be needed, also, for network: AppleIntelE1000e.kext.

AppleALC and Lilu are for audio, see above, AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA might not be needed, although I don't remember if I tried it without.

Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 14.46.04.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back