CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
ASUS VivoBook Flip 14 (Q405UA)

A Hackbook running Mojave.

This thread describes the process and ongoing journey of turning an ASUS VivoBook Flip 14 laptop into a Hackintosh.
What is an ASUS Vivobook Flip laptop you ask? Excellent question! It is a 14" convertible laptop with a footprint roughly the size of a 13". It is not an all metal build, but it does have an aluminum chassis with a plastic bottom cover and weighs roughly 3.5lbs. This guide is focused on the Q405UA which is a variant of the original VivoBook Flip 14 (TP410UA). It shares nearly all of the same components including the system board with those models. The TP410UA is also supported by this guide.

Hardware Specifications
The following list describes the default configuration from the factory.
  • Intel i5-8250u
  • 8GB PC4-19200 2400MHz DDR4 (Onboard)
  • Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • Realtek ALC294 Audio
  • 1TB Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM HDD
  • Intel 8265NGW Wireless + Bluetooth (Unsupported)
  • AzureWave HD Webcam
  • Realtek Card Reader (Unsupported)
  • 14" 1920x1080 HD display with 100% sRGB color gamut
  • ELAN Touchscreen with Pen support
  • ELAN 1300 Touchpad
  • Touchpad integrated fingerprint reader (Unsupported)
  • Backlit keyboard
  • Windows 10 Home
My configuration has the following changes
  • Additional 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 (Kingston KVR24S17S8/8)
  • 512GB SATA SSD (SK Hynix HFS512G32MND-3210A)
  • 500GB SATA M.2 SSD (Crucial MX500)
  • Dell DW1560 Wireless + Bluetooth
  • BIOS version 306
  • macOS Mojave 10.14.5
Manufacturer Link
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/Q405UA/

Does it blend? Yes!

Working
  • Both the Internal display and external HDMI display with acceleration
  • All USB A and C ports
  • Touch screen and pen
  • Keyboard backlight
  • ASUS keys FN-x
  • Wireless AC
  • Bluetooth
  • Trim
  • Filevault
  • App Store, Facetime, Etc
  • Sleep
Not Working
  • Realtek Card Reader
  • Display Rotation sensor
  • Fingerprint Reader (unsupported)
Quirks
Sound

• Now and then the audio device will not wake properly or it will wake and then go back to sleep. This is normally caught by the jack fix script but you can also run /usr/local/bin/jackfix.sh to force a wakeup.
Touchpad
  • Every now and then the touchpad doesn't wake with the laptop, just let it go back to sleep and wake it again.
Firmware
Upgrading the BIOS to version 307 causes random reboots, disk IO problems, and display problems. If upgrading (or downgrading) to version 306, extract your BIOS zip file to an MS-DOS formatted USB drive and use the BIOS flash tool to flash.

• Press F2 to enter the BIOS
  • Press F7 to enter advanced mode
  • Scroll to and select the flash tool
  • Scroll to the BIOS version you wish to flash
  • Press enter
  • Follow the prompts
  • Once the BIOS flashes, the computer will reboot 2-3 times - do not interfere with the process.
  • When complete, you should have a secure boot warning or your system will boot to Windows if you have it installed.
  • Reboot, enter the BIOS and set the following options.
    • Display memory 64MB
    • Disable VT-D
    • Disable the card reader (unless dual booting)
    • Disable Fast Boot
    • Disable Secure Boot
    • Select Clover as the first boot loader if necessary
Upgrades
Adding an m.2 SATA SSD, or another 8GB of RAM the entire laptop will need to be disassembled as access to the sockets are on the underside of the motherboard. To access, use the following procedure. Note: This will definitely void your warranty. Do not attempt this procedure if you do not have the proper tools and training to work on PCs and notebooks.
  • Power the notebook off.
  • Remove the case screws from the bottom of the notebook, use tape and a sheet of paper to track the location of each screw as there are three different screw sizes used on the bottom shell.
  • Crack the case and lift no more than 1/2".
  • Gently pry up on the four cables under the keyboard to release the glue, and then disconnect the cables from the motherboard.
  • Take a picture of the board before removing any screws or tape.
  • Disconnect the battery.
  • Remove the SSD.
  • Remove the WIFI card.
  • Remove the battery screws.
  • Gently remove the tape from the wires.
  • Remove the battery from the notebook.
  • Disconnect the LCD and speaker connectors.
  • Remove the motherboard screws.
  • Gently lift the board out, starting close to the CPU fan.
  • Disconnect any remaining connectors.
  • Turn the board over.
  • Install 2280 m.2 SSD and RAM.
  • Repeat the process in reverse.
  • Test that the computer boots before completing assembly.
RAM and Clover
For macOS to see all of the memory installed in the system after installing an additional SO-DIMM, Clover must be updated with information about the RAM as the BIOS does not properly communicate the available slots or memory speeds to the OS. Update the block below in config.plist, adding the DIMM to slot 2.

Code:
        <key>Memory</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Channels</key>
            <integer>2</integer>
            <key>SlotCount</key>
            <integer>2</integer>
            <key>Modules</key>
            <array>
                <dict>
                    <key>Slot</key>
                    <integer>0</integer>
                    <key>Size</key>
                    <integer>8192</integer>
                    <key>Frequency</key>
                    <integer>2133</integer>
                    <key>Type</key>
                    <string>DDR4</string>
                    <key>Vendor</key>
                    <string>Apple Inc.</string>
                </dict>
                <dict>
                    <key>Slot</key>
                    <integer>2</integer>
                    <key>Size</key>
                    <integer>8192</integer>
                    <key>Frequency</key>
                    <integer>2133</integer>
                    <key>Type</key>
                    <string>DDR4</string>
                    <key>Vendor</key>
                    <string>Apple Inc.</string>
                </dict>
            </array>
Performance
Considering the price, the ASUS Q405UA performs incredibly well. Here are some benchmarks.

Novabench
Power Connected

Power Disconnected (On Battery)

Geekbench

Battery Life
While I have only performed informal tests, the computer seems to consume 4.5-5.5 watts of power while idle, with bursts to 28 watts under load. Under normal usage, this computer has the potential to last 6-9 hours on battery.

Installation
Follow one of the many guides to create macOS installation media, and install macOS on the computer. Once macOS is installed, use the steps below to configure your system.

Using the installer included in the thread

• Press F4 at the CLOVER menu to dump your DSDT.
  • Boot into macOS and download the zip file attached to this thread.
  • Mount your EFI directory and copy your DSDT.aml from CLOVER/ACPI/origin to the directory with the installer.
  • Run the installer (Use bash install.sh or ./install.sh).
  • Follow the prompts.
You should be all set, and your Hack ready to use. The script can also be used to upgrade future packages when they are released.

Manual installation

If using the installation script, the steps below are already applied and there is no action to take.

Customize
  • Clover for EFI Booting Only
  • Install Clover in the ESP
  • UEFI Drivers
    • DataHubDxe-64
    • FSInject-64
    • SMCHelper-64
    • VBoxHfs-64
    • ApfsDriverLoader-64
    • AptioMemoryFix-64
  • FileVault 2 UEFI Drivers
Once the installation is complete, walk through the DSDT, SSDT, Kext, and Clover sections to enable full functionality.

CLOVER Configuration

Copy config.plist to the CLOVER directory into your CLOVER installation.

Clover Wiki
https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/configuration/smbios

KEXTS

Copy all kexts from CLOVER/kexts/Other to the same directory of your CLOVER installation.

Clover EFI Drivers

Copy each of the EFI drivers from CLOVER/drivers64UEFI to the same directory in your CLOVER installation.

DSDT Patches

Install maciASL and patch your DSDT with each of the patches found in the patches/DSDT directory.

Download MaciASL

SSDT Patches

Open each of the SSDTs found in patches/SSDT, and compile it with maciASL. Remember to change the MAC address in SSDT-RMNE before building.

Kext Patches

The patches found in patches/kext can be ignored, they are included in the zip to document the changes already found in the kexts.

Jack Fix
For the Headphone jack to function, a script needs to be installed that injects the verbs for jack sense. To install, perform the following actions but wait to reboot until the rest of the installation and setup is complete.

Code:
$ sudo -s
# cd alc294-jackfix
# bash install.command
Changelog
July 17 2019

• Apply CPU SSDT (only i5-8250U models)
  • Correct balanced battery/power profile filename
July 13 2019
  • Add CPU performance profiles to installer
  • Update VoodooI2C with latest patches
  • Update UHD properties patch in config.plist
  • Update RAM to 2133MHz (BIOS handles 2400MHz bursts according to ASUS support)
  • WhateverGreen 1.3.0
  • VirtualSMC 1.0.6
  • NoTouchID 1.0.2
  • Lilu 1.3.7
  • CPUFriend 1.1.8
  • AppleALC 1.3.9
  • AirportBrcmFixup 2.0.2
June 23 2019
  • Switch to Kishor's VoodooI2C fork
June 22 2019
  • Clover 4961
  • VoodooI2C updated from master
  • Lilu 1.3.6
  • Whatevergreen 1.2.9
  • AsusSMC 1.1.1

Credits

Thanks to RehabMan, Alexandred, vit9696, and dozens of others for the work that you do. Without you this guide would not have been possible.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Q405UA
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Reserved for future use.

Motherboard
Asus laptop
CPU
i5 8250u
Graphics
intel uhd 620
Nice guild man ill try and follow it when I got the time.

Motherboard
ASUS Q405UA
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
I've ordered this laptop and hoping to follow in your footsteps! Are the ribbon connectors holding the bottom to the PC the style with a black bar that lifts up to release the ribbon? Can't seem to find any good pictures...

Motherboard
ASUS Q405UA
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
I've ordered this laptop and hoping to follow in your footsteps! Are the ribbon connectors holding the bottom to the PC the style with a black bar that lifts up to release the ribbon? Can't seem to find any good pictures...
They are, yes. They have the release bar on the back side of the connector away from the cable. Let us know how it turns out!

Motherboard
ASUS Q405UA
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Banned for a day and a half...someone/something didn't like my signature (no further explanation...sigh). Do you see anything wrong? Removed signature until someone explains why this doesn't work:

Laptop: ASUS Q405UA | i5-8250U | HD620
Desktop: Gigabyte Z370N | i5-8400 | Giga RX 580 8

Still waiting for M.2 storage (Monday). Will then be able to insert RAM and M.2 storage and begin the Hackintosh. Removed the back and disconnected the ribbons in order to install the SSD and remove the HDD. Also replaced the wifi/bluetooth chip. Did a fresh install of Windoz 10 with no bloatware.

Everything is working so far...except the keyboard lighting. Is that a special Asus driver?

Thanks!

Motherboard
ASUS Q405UA
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Banned for a day and a half...someone/something didn't like my signature (no further explanation...sigh). Do you see anything wrong? Removed signature until someone explains why this doesn't work:

Laptop: ASUS Q405UA | i5-8250U | HD620
Desktop: Gigabyte Z370N | i5-8400 | Giga RX 580 8

Still waiting for M.2 storage (Monday). Will then be able to insert RAM and M.2 storage and begin the Hackintosh. Removed the back and disconnected the ribbons in order to install the SSD and remove the HDD. Also replaced the wifi/bluetooth chip. Did a fresh install of Windoz 10 with no bloatware.

Everything is working so far...except the keyboard lighting. Is that a special Asus driver?

Thanks!
I'm not sure what the rules are for sigs.

The keyboard backlight needs ASUSKbBacklight.patch, ASUSFnKeys.patch, and AsusNBFnKeys.kext. They should all be in the zip. Glad to hear everything else is working!

Edit: Oh, if you mean keyboard backlight in Windows yes you will need to download drivers from ASUS. You'll need at a minimum ATKPackage.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Q405UA
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Nevermind...Fn buttons are working for keyboard backlight... (duh!)

Re: removal of motherboard - I'm not familiar with this type of battery connector. Can you explain

Motherboard
ASUS Q405UA
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Ok. Stuck on Mobo removal. Not familiar with some connectors. Can you help? Is there a latch or release for any of these? Thanks!View attachment 384958View attachment 384960View attachment 384961
There's a latch on the flat ribbon cable, it's the black latch at the back of the connector. The battery connector is a little difficult to disconnect, but a flat jewelers screwdriver worked for me, just slowly and gently at the seam. There may have been more to releasing that connector, but I didn't write it down and don't recall offhand. The LCD connector (by the LCD panel), lift the tape and it slides out of the socket by gently pushing towards the LCD (away from you).