Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Overview

The purpose of this guide is to provide a step-by-step guide to installing, not dual booting, the El Capitan/Yosemite on the ASUS U36SG using Clover EFI. I’ve used this laptop with Mavericks (Chimera/Chameleon) and Yosemite (Chimera/Chameleon).

Hardware configuration of ASUS U36SG model RX007D :
  • CPU: Intel i5 Sandy Brdige 2450M 2.50GHz (3.10GHz Turbo)
  • Chipset: Intel HM65 Express
  • LCD: 13.3" 16:9 HD (1366x768) LED Backlight
  • GPU: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 + NVIDIA GeForce 610M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
  • Storage: 120Gb SSD
  • Card Reader: 5 -in-1 ( SD/ MS/ MS Pro/ xD/ MMC)
  • Webcam: 0.3 Mega Pixel
  • WiFi: Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n or 802.11 b/g/n (AR9285)
  • Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth V3.0+HS (AR3011)
  • Ethernet: 10/100/1000 Base T (AR8151)
  • Audio: Built-in Speakers And Microphone - 2 External Jacks for Microphone and Headset (ALC269VB)
  • USB: 2x USB2.0 + 1xUSB3.0 (Fresco Logic FL1000G 1b73:1000)
  • Battery: 4Cells 3100 mAh 44 Whrs

Note: This guide is based mostly on RehabMan’s guides, patches, scripts and kexts, I take no credit for them.

What’s working

Everything is working except:
  • NVIDIA Optimus (not supported by Apple OsX)
  • USB3 (work in progress as the GenericUSBXHCI is no longer working with EL Capitan) - Worked till Yosemite
  • Sleep/Shutdown (work in progress) - the DSDT used with Mavericks and Yosemite is not working for EL Capitan. The Reboot is working properly.
  • Ethernet card is working at 100Mb instead of 1000Mb (work in progress) - Worked till Mavericks with ALXEthernet driver

What you need

• Working Mac or Hackintosh
  • OS X El Capitan of Yosemite downloaded from the Mac App Store
  • 8GB/16Gb USB2.0 stick

BIOS settings

Bios version : U36SGAS.204

Because the bios of ASUS U36SG is simple there are very few things that can be changed. For start of a Restore Defaults and then make sure you have the following settings :
  • Advanced -> Internal Pointing Device = Enabled
  • Advanced -> Legacy USB Support = Enabled
  • Advanced -> SATA Configuration -> SATA Mode Selection = AHCI
  • Boot -> UWFI Boot = Enabled
  • Boot -> PXE ROM = Disabled

Preparing USB and initial Installation

Using RehaMan’s [Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover create USB stick. I’ve used the following informations from the guide taking in consideration the limitation of UEFI boot from ASUS U36SG BIOS (BIOS is unable to read GPT partition schemes):
  • from section Installing Clover to USB use Option 1: MBR with a FAT32 partition for Clover and a separate HFS+J partition for the OS X installer
  • MUST add VoodooPS2Controller.kext of be able to use laptop keyboard and trackpad
  • for cpnfig.plist use the config_HD3000_1366x768.plist from RehabMan’s Clover Laptop Config repository
  • from section Building the OS X installer use BaseBinaries clone method
  • apply El Capitan MBR Patch from InsanelyMac Forum

NOTE: Due to the previous mentioned limitation, of the laptop BIOS, when installing OS X you must partition your hard drive using MBR partition scheme with 2 partitions, one 200Mb FAT formatted for EFI and the rest for OS X partition.

Post Installation

Install Clover UEFI using the Clover legacy mode (copied from the guide linked in previous section):
  • select the target of the install to <FAT EFI Partition> using "Change Install Location"
  • select "Customize" (we need to change some of the default options)
  • "Install for UEFI booting only" will be unchecked
  • "Install Clover in the ESP" will be checked
  • in "Bootloader", check "Install boot0af in MBR"
  • "CloverEFI" should be checked
  • check "Bluemac" from Themes (the config.plist files provided by RehabMan use this theme)
  • select "Install RC scripts on target volume" and/or "Install all RC scripts on all other boot volumes", but not for USB
  • selecting "Install Clover Preference Pane" is optional
Finish Clover installation.

Note: As mentioned in previous guide. Please DO NOT FORGET to copy HFSPlus.efi to your Clover install directory.

Now to finalize the booting process.

Copy attached config.plist as it contains MacBook Pro 8.1 SMBIOS and patch on the fly for:
  • Audio
  • WiFi
  • HD3000 glich
  • Bluetooth

Copy attached DSDT.aml and ssdt.aml to EFI Partition in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. I the next sections I will explain the process of creating DSDT and SSDT for this laptop.

Next, using your preferred kext installer (I’m using Kext Wizard) install the linked/attached kexts (most of them are from RehabMan) into /System/Library/Extensions. The kexts are:
I noticed if I install the ath3k firmware uploader (see post attachments) the bluetooth works better and no longer throws errors in system log.

For final touches you can install iGlasses or CamTwist to fix the upside down image from webcam.

Informations for DIY

Create SSDT for CPU

This step is easy as 1 2 3.

Using Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management as reference, I’ve created ssdt.aml using the following command :
Code:
ssdtPRGen.sh
The script detected the i5 2450M and generated the proper speed steps and power management code.

Copy the generated ssdt.aml to EFI partition in folder EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

Extract and Patch DSDT

NOTE: The result of this section is not a final DSDT as I still have to fix the southdown/sleep issues and USB3.

Once again RhabMan’s [Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT/SSDTs is the reference for how to do it.

I’ve used Clover F4 method to get native ACPI files. The extracted files can be found on EFI partition in EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin folder.

Using MaciASL I’ve applied the following patches (the patches are from RehabMan's Laptop DSDT Patch Repository except the ones specified or given as patch code):
  • Insert DTGP (found in MaciASL Patch panel under SourceForge)
  • Rename _T_x
    Code:
    into_all all code_regex _T_0 replaceall_matched begin T_0 end;
    into_all all code_regex _T_1 replaceall_matched begin T_1 end;
    into_all all code_regex _T_2 replaceall_matched begin T_2 end;
    into_all all code_regex _T_3 replaceall_matched begin T_3 end;
    into_all all code_regex _T_4 replaceall_matched begin T_4 end;
    into_all all code_regex _T_5 replaceall_matched begin T_5 end;
    into_all all code_regex _T_6 replaceall_matched begin T_6 end;
  • from system folder in RehabMan’s repository:
    • system_WAK2
    • system_HPET
    • system_IMEI
    • system_IRQ
    • system_MCHC
    • system_OSYS_win7
    • system_PNOT
    • system_RTC
    • system_Shutdown
    • system_SMBUS
  • wifi_AR9285-RP02-WLAN - found in wifi folder in RehabMan’s repository
  • WiFi BT Toggle Patch (2 toggles) - from EMlyDinEsH post (see previous sections for link)
    Code:
    # Patch by EMlyDinEsH (www.osxlatitude.com)
    # Enables Asus WiFi/BT Fn key to work with two toggles of on/off
    # Use this patch only if its not working.

# Replacing method _Q0B with only WiFi/BT on and off toggle
    into Method label _Q0B replace_content begin 
                             If (LEqual (WBTS, One))\n
                                {\n
                                    OWLD (Zero)\n
                                    ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x5F)\n
                                    Sleep (0x0DAC)\n
                                    OBTD (Zero)\n
                                    ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x7E)\n
                                    Store (Zero, WBTS)\n
                                }\n
                                Else\n
                                {\n
                                    OWLD (One)\n
                                    ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x5E)\n
                                    Sleep (0x0DAC)\n
                                    OBTD (One)\n
                                    ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x7D)\n
                                    Store (One, WBTS)\n
                                }
     end;

# Inserting a field to maintain WiFi/BT state
    into device label EC0 code_regex Name\s\(WBTS,\sOne\) remove_matched;
    into device label EC0 insert begin Name (WBTS, One) end;
  • from usb folder in RehabMan’s repository:
    • usb_prw_0x0d_xhc
    • usb_6-series
  • from graphics folder in RehabMan’s repository:
    • graphics_HD3K_low
    • graphics_Rename-PCI0_GFX0
    • graphics_PNLF_ivy_sandy
  • Disable NVIDIA Optimus - manual edited DSDT
    Added PINI function is Scope _SB before _WAK
    Code:
    Method (PINI, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0._OFF ()
            \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0._PS0 ()
        }
    and added call for PINI() in Scope _SB at the beginning of function _WAK and in Scope _SB.PCI0 at the beginning of function _INI
  • Patch to display the WiFi status using the WiFi LED - manual edit
    The code is added at the end of PINI function defined at the previous patch point.
    Code:
    If (LEqual (\_SB.WRST, One))
            {
                OBTD (One)
            }

And this is how I’ve created the DSDT I use.

Audio Kext Patch on the fly

After reading a lot of threads/posts, on how to configure Clover to patch AppleHDA on the fly so I can keep the OS X up to date without the need to replace kexts every time there is a new update, I’ve found Xjoe thread Asus X450JF - El Capitan using Clover UEFI where he describe how to create the Clover patch :
- Audio & Mic - Alc269:
. backup first native AppleHDA
. download & install AppleHDA.kext--ALC269_VC, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...-for-yosemite/ , restart & make sure audio is working.
. then convert to clover patch on the fly + create DummyHDA, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...2#entry2030060
. restored/reinstall (backup) native AppleHDA+DummyHDA,
. don’t forget also need to install codec commander, https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/downloads
. audio working with native AppleHDA.kext

But instead of downloading the ALC269VC, as he said, I’ve downloaded and tested all 3 versions for ALC269VB present in ASUS U36SG. The only working version was AppleHDA-272.18.1-ALC269VB_v1.

So this is how I’ve made the DummyHDA I use and the Clover patches present in config.plist

Thanks to RehabMan, EMlyDinEsH and to OSXlatitude, TonyMax86 and Insanelymac users for informations used to make this Hachintosh possible.

Any informations the can make this build better or can help in solving the remaining issues with shutdown/sleep, usb3.0 and Ethernet low speed are welcome.

Update: 11/18/2015

Today I needed to use the HDMI audio (did not have an HDMI Monitor with audio output at the time of guide creation) and discovered that it did not work.

Doing some research I've found this Guide for enabling VGA and HDMI in Intel HD3000 GPU and helped me to find the solution to this problem.

The problem was that the all the external display connectors were of type Display Port.

But, every time there is an OS X update the kext has to be patched, again and again, or replaced with the patched one. So I've converted the patch to Clover patch on the fly to avoid this tedious task.

Attached is the new config.plist(config_u1.plist.zip) containing this new patch.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 284
  • DSDT.zip
    31.1 KB · Views: 299
  • ssdt.aml.zip
    863 bytes · Views: 249
  • ASUS U36SG Kexts.zip
    524.7 KB · Views: 343
  • ath3k-firmware-uploader-V2.zip
    185.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IOReg_dump.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 236
  • config_u1.plist.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 310
I think you can use GPT and UEFI
the G73JH is older and i have GPT and UEFI

here are some notes:
-I could only get the installer to boot by going into the bios and selecting the UEFI USB device
-you need to install this driver from the clover installer "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi"

if you can get the USB to boot after testing then you should be good to go on installation
after you finish installing clover on the drive the OS is installed on you need to boot into bios to add a boot entry

Add New Boot option
Name: Clover
Disk: Select the drive with Clover and OS X installed
Path type "EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi" (use backslash)

@maromi

Thank you for your post.

Before your post I did a lot of tests and failed to make it boot using GPT partition. I used EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in some of my tests. Used also Unibeast to make the USB with both modes of boot (legacy and uefi).

Now taking your advice, recreated the USB using the same guide as I did in my original post, but using GPT option and checking the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in Clover Installer and no other changes in bios except enabling UEFI boot and adding UEFI record, I've booted the laptop and it did not work.

Again thank you for the info and I will try to figure out what is wrong with the BIOS.

First of all, thanks a lot for your detailed description octavian1979, it's really helpful.
Anyway, I'm trying to use it to install Sierra on my ASUS U36SG with no luck so far. Please take a look at the picture attached if you have time.
I already tried all the possible kexts and Clover options, almost going crazy now. Tell me please if you have any ideas or maybe you've upgraded it yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 494
First of all, thanks a lot for your detailed description octavian1979, it's really helpful.
Anyway, I'm trying to use it to install Sierra on my ASUS U36SG with no luck so far. Please take a look at the picture attached if you have time.
I already tried all the possible kexts and Clover options, almost going crazy now. Tell me please if you have any ideas or maybe you've upgraded it yourself.

If you are booting the system from USB, this looks like a USB problem...

If you are booting the system from USB, this looks like a USB problem...
Thank you for the answer RehabMan. Okay, can the BIOS version be an issue? I'm using older one than octavian1979, 202 to be precise. Or what else if I already tried to follow the guide step by step?

RehabMan maybe you can also help me get my sound working please? I was able to install and run Sierra and everything in it but sound. Following the patching guide above doesn't help. None of the standard AppleHDA kexts work. How can I troubleshoot it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back