Contribute
Register

[Guide] Asus ROG G551/552, GL551/552 Series (Skylake, i7-6700HQ, HD 530) Using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG GL502VS
CPU
Core i7-9750H
Graphics
Intel UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Finally i got working El Capitan in this laptop. Thread based on [Guide] Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (Skylake, i7-6700HQ, Intel HD 530) Using Clover

Prerequisites
  • G551/552 / GL551/552 Series laptop with i7-6700HQ processor
  • 8GB 2.0 USB to create bootable OS X Installer
  • BCM94352Z if you want full WiFi/AirDrop/HandOff support in OS X
  • SSD if you want fast boot times
  • Acces to a real Mac or hackintosh
  • ROG_551_552 package (download below)

Tested in G551VW:
Working

• Battery
  • Sleep
  • QE/CI
  • Keyboard
  • Display and Keyboard Backlight
  • USB 2.0/3.0
  • Speakers and internal mic
  • WebCam
  • HDMI
Not Working
  • Wifi (AR9462)
  • SD Card Reader
  • Touchpad, its I2C (WIP, Use mouse instead)
Not Tested
  • Ethernet
  • Bluetooth
  • iMessage, FaceTime, etc..

A) Create partition for OS X

Boot to Windows 10. Install MacDrive from Mediafour to create a partition for OS X. Open MacDrive and click create. You can now create a HFS+ partition on the drive you just installed Windows 10 on. I suggest you give them 50/50 GB storage each. So, in my case, i partitioned a HFS+ partition with 128GB. Close MacDrive after you successfully created the drive. Name it as you like.

B) Create bootable OS X El Capitan Installer on real Mac or Mackintosh

I’m going to refer to the tonymacx86 tutorial here: UniBeast: Install OS X El Capitan on Any Supported Intel-based PC

In UniBeast choose El Capitan, UEFI, no graphics

On the real Mac or hackintosh download Clover Configurator, KextBeast and MultiBeast here: tonymacx86 Downloads | tonymacx86.com. Move these apps to the installer USB just created.

Also open Desktop/ROG_G551_552/clover_kexts/. move all kexts to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/. Then, replace EFI/Clover/config.plist with pre-install_config.plist from Desktop/ROG_G551_552/.

Open Clover Configurator if USB EFI isn't already mounted and mount the USB EFI (something like disk2s1).

C) BIOS settings

Reboot and access the BIOS setup by pressing ESC then select Enter Setup.
  • Disable Fastboot (if available)
  • Disable Secure Boot
  • Disable VT-d
  • Disable Intel Virtualization Technology

D) Install OS X El Capitan

Before booting, disconnect all USBs and charger. This is necessary for booting this particular laptop. Make sure you use my pre-install_config.plist. Plug in the USB created in step B. Boot from the USB by pressing ESC and select your Flashdisk device on boot. Clover will load. Then, boot OS X installer from USB.

If everything is set correctly, you will see a whole bunch of lines before reaching the installer. If you don’t, you’ve probably done something wrong.

Once the installer is reached, choose disk utility from the top bar under utilities. You will see your internal HFS+ partition, click on it, in the top bar, go to archive and enable journaling. Close disk utility if you enabled it and now you can install El Capitan on this partition.

Once installed, it will reboot automatically, make sure you boot from USB and select your OSX drive, not OS X Installer.

Set it up as you like, choose no internet.

E) Post installation

Drag MultiBeast, KextBeast and Clover Configurator from the installer USB to your desktop.

Open MultiBeast and under quick start select UEFI mode. Under customize, system definitions, choose MacBook Pro 11,2. Choose build and install on OS X drive.

F) Additional Kexts

Download the ROG_551_552.zip (download below) and drop it on your OS X desktop. Place all the kext files from Desktop/ROG_551_552/kexts/ on your desktop. Open KextBeast and follow instructions to install the kext files to System/Library/Extensions/.

G) Additional Patch

G.1) IOKit Patch for Working QE/CI (only for 4K Display)

open terminal then run this code:
Code:
cd ~/Desktop/ROG_551_552/iokit-patch
./IOKit-patcher.command

G.2) Enable TRIM for SSD
open Clover Configurator -> Kernel and Kext Patches -> Uncheck Enable TRIM for SSD -> reboot

H) DSDT/SSDT edits

Reboot and in Clover boot menu, press F4 to extract your ACPI files. For disassembly and editing out the errors i will refer to this guide here: [Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT/SSDTs

Return to this guide when you have the .dsl files of DSDT and SSDTs (the ones without an x in their name) without errors. Place them in a folder on your desktop.

Assuming you have MaciASL as instructed by the guide in above link, open the program. Go to the program’s preferences and add this source: http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master

You now have all RehabMan’s laptop patches at your disposal in MaciASL.

DDST patches:

Open DSDT.dsl, in MaciASL:

Search for ‘GFX0’ and replace all with ‘IGPU’

- Brightness control under FN Keys:
search 'Method (_Q0E, 0, NotSerialized)' and insert 'If...' code
Code:
      Method (_Q0E, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (ATKP)
            {
                \_SB.ATKD.IANE (0x20)
            }
        }
search 'Method (_Q0F, 0, NotSerialized)' and insert 'If...' code
Code:
      Method (_Q0F, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (ATKP)
            {
                \_SB.ATKD.IANE (0x10)
            }
        }

- Keyboard Backlight Patch:
Go to Desktop/ROG_551_552 folder, open patches folder and select one, KeyboardBacklight4.txt for 4 level step. or KeyboardBacklight16.txt for 16 level step control. Patch DSDT.dsl with those patch, use patchmatic (Guide above)

Click on Patch and apply the following patches (Must use Internet connection):
[syn] Rename _DSM methods to XDSM
[bat] Asus G75VW
[sys] Fix _WAK Arg0 v2
[sys] Fix _WAK IAOE
[sys] Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel
[sys] Fix PNOT/PPNT
[sys] IRQ Fix
[sys] OS Check Fix (Windows 8)
[sys] SMBUS Fix
[sys] Skylake LPC

see 'Before' column in MaciASL and look if '0x6D' exist, then use this patch
[usb] USB3_PRW 0x6D Skylake (instant wake)
if not, use [usb] USB3_PRW 0x0D Skylake (instant wake)

Click Compile and if you have any errors (warnings don’t matter) clear them by using the patching guide above. Save the file as: DSDT.aml and file format: ACPI Machine Language Binary.

SSDT patches:

Open SSDT-2.dsl:

Click Compile and if you have any errors (warnings don’t matter) clear them by using the patching guide above. Save the file as: SSDT-2.aml and file format: ACPI Machine Language Binary

Open SSDT-3.dsl:

Click Compile and if you have any errors (warnings don’t matter) clear them by using the patching guide above. Save the file as: SSDT-3.aml and file format: ACPI Machine Language Binary

Open SSDT-13.dsl:

Click Compile and if you have any errors (warnings don’t matter) clear them by using the patching guide above. Save the file as: SSDT-13.aml and file format: ACPI Machine Language Binary

Placing ACPI files in Clover:

You should now have these .aml files ALL without errors SOME patched:
DSDT.aml (patched)
SSDT.aml (generate from ssdtPRGen.sh, see [Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops )
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml (patched)
SSDT-3.aml (patched)
SSDT-4.aml
SSDT-12.aml
SSDT-13.aml (patched)

Open Clover Configurator and mount internal EFI. Open EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ and place all your .aml files here.

Open Desktop/G551VW_El_Capitan/ and place the config.plist in EFI/Clover/

Open the config.plist you just placed in EFI/Clover/ and Clover Configurator will open. Go to the section SMBIOS and click the magic wand icon. Choose the MacBook icon and select MacBook 11,2 in the dropdown menu. Shake a few times with the Week and Unit until you find a Serial that’s not valid (means it isn’t used yet by an official Mac). You can check that here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Close Clover Configurator when you have found one.

Reboot now and everything should work.

These are the exact steps that i’ve taken and it’s working excellently. If you have any questions, i will try to respond correct and quick.

Special thanks to RehabMan for helping me and for providing various laptop patches and kexts!

Enjoy!

Thread Changelog
2016-06-23
  • Fix DSDT Patch
2016-06-20
  • add Enable TRIM for SSD guide
2016-06-19
  • Update thread title
  • Change SMBIOS in config.plist for working HDMI
  • Remove useARTFrequency in config.plist
  • Remove disable minStolenSize patch
  • IOKit patch only for 4K display
  • Use VoodooHDA instead for sound. cause AppleHDA patch seems buggy (audio freeze)
2016-06-18
  • Forgot to add Disable Fastboot in BIOS
  • Forgot to add IOKit patch
  • Inject Audio layout ID from Clover
  • Updated AppleHDA 274.9 with working mic now :)

Attachments

• ROG_551_552.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,985
Last edited:
Wow! Seems that this is the first Skylake Asus Laptop Guide. Nice work. Is this 4K UHD screen?

My Skylake Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW has a 4K UHD screen, so I have to change the DVMT value in the bios to 128 MB, but I get a CPU kernel panic on boot, so I have to stay at 64 MB DVMT with 1024 x 768, no acceleration for now

Wow! Seems that this is the first Skylake Asus Laptop Guide. Nice work. Is this 4K UHD screen?

My Skylake Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW has a 4K UHD screen, so I have to change the DVMT value in the bios to 128 MB, but I get a CPU kernel panic on boot, so I have to stay at 64 MB DVMT with 1024 x 768, no acceleration for now

With 128mb DVMT...

Boot verbose, show photo. Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

yeah it 4K display so it must use IOKit patch. and it work with DVMT 512 MB :)
are you use config.plist in attached zip? please post your Clover EFI folder and verbose like RehabMan says

Here you go. I'm on Clover 3489. DVMT set to 128MB

ZskYMSW.jpg

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 493

ZskYMSW.jpg
you're using FakeID of 0x12345678 < it make your IGPU doesn't work, remove that and see how it work.

ZskYMSW.jpg

Remove unnecessary kexts from EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. The only kext you need to boot is FakeSMC.kext. And of course VoodooPS2Controller.kext to use the internal keyboard and trackpad. Remove everything else, including the FakeSMC sensor kexts.

Is there are reason you have NVMeGeneric.kext there? Keep in mind there are many problems with that kext.

Also, remove all files from ACPI/patched. It is possible you made a mistake there. You didn't provide ACPI/origin, so it is not even possible to compare origin to patched...

Also, from where did you download OS X?

you're using FakeID of 0x12345678 < it make your IGPU doesn't work, remove that and see how it work.

Good catch. I had used FakeID to install El Capitan 10.11.5, but forgot to comment it out with #
Once I commented it out, and using your patching, I get QE/CI with 4K UHD working. DVMT is still at 64MB. I didn't need to set it to 128MB. Beautiful! Thanks.
AFWTkcV.png

LLgMdrF.jpg

I'm at the post installation optimization. During install, I didn't have all the extra kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

I replaced the M.2 OEM SSD with the M.2 Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD disk. The El Capitan installer could not see it. Once I added NVMeGeneric, the El Capitan installer was able to see it and install to it.

The El Capitan 10.11.5 installer was downloaded from the Apple store.

I've attached the origin folder.

I have not been able to apply the patch [usb] USB3_PWR 0x6D. I keep getting 2 errors:

Name already exists in scope (_PRW)

Thanks guys for the help.

Attachments

• origin.zip
    68.4 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Good catch. I had used FakeID to install El Capitan 10.11.5, but forgot to comment it out with #

Once I commented it out, and using your patching, I get QE/CI with 4K UHD working. DVMT is still at 64MB. I didn't need to set it to 128MB. Beautiful! Thanks.

I'm at the post installation optimization. During install, I didn't have all the extra kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

I replaced the M.2 OEM SSD with the M.2 Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD disk. The El Capitan installer could not see it. Once I added NVMeGeneric, the El Capitan installer was able to see it and install to it.

The El Capitan 10.11.5 installer was downloaded from the Apple store.

I've attached the origin folder.

I have not been able to apply the patch [usb] USB3_PWR 0x6D. I keep getting 2 errors:

Thanks guys for the help.

Use USB3 _PWR 0x6D Sylake version, recenly updated by RehabMan (thanks to him)

It is because Skylake is using some addresses that used to be used for EHCI/HDEF...

I have separated the Skylake _PRW patches from non-Skylake: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/commit/da6648652c4fd623b19bf14957c2973913583a29
Whoa, its just updated recently. But i already use USB3 _PWR 0x0D, sleep working. Should i use the new patch? Btw i use patchmatic to compile because it doesn't have error like MaciASL.

----
Maybe i will change the title thread for more asus skylake support since most of asus skylake device use i7-6700hq processor and HM170 chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back