3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Guide to installing Mountain Lion on ASUS P8Z77-I Mini-ITX

Things you need:
A UniBeast USB installer created by this method:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Latest patched BIOS from http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/asus/z77/
Note: If you are hesitant about patching your BIOS and would rather not do it at this time, then skip flashing your BIOS and remember to also select NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in MultiBeast selections.

Your assembled P8Z77-I build

To flash your BIOS
Put your patched BIOS on a clean USB drive and plug the drive into the USB port outlined in green next to the eSATA port. Turn on the power/power supply and push a small non conductive pin into the green outlined hole in the I/O shield, pushing the small button inside and hold till the LED starts flashing - note it is much easier to see the LED flashing if the side panel of your case is off. When the LED stops flashing your BIOS has finished updating. Remove the USB flash drive.

To install Mountain Lion (tested method using HDMI out with no graphics card and DVI out with no graphics card and should work with a graphics card - if you use one, be sure to install drivers if it needs them))
Plug the UniBeast installer in one of the 4 USB ports at the left end of the I/O backplate
Boot to BIOS and hit F5 for optimized defaults. Then click on the advanced tab to open more settings
In the advanced menu select System Agent Configuration, then Graphics Configuration. set Primary Display to iGPU and iGPU Memory to 64M
Back to Advanced screen and select USB Configuration, change XHCI from smart auto to auto and enable EHCI handoff
Save and exit., continue the boot to the UniBeast installer.

At the OS X Install screens
Select Language, then at the install screen click on utilities and on the drop down menu select disk utility.
Select your HDD/SSD in the left pane, select format, click on options button and select GUID partition table, set partitions how you want and format your boot partition MacOS Extended (Journaled)
Exit disk utility and click on continue
Agree to License
Click on your HDD/SSD boot partition icon and click on install - 20-30 minutes
When install is complete
Select Country
Select Keyboard
Location Services - your choice - activate or don't use
iCloud setup - your choice - set it up or skip
Software License - agree
set up your account / password / password hint
select time zone
register - your choice - register or skip
Start using your Mac.

Finally, you are at the desktop but the resolution of 1024x768 is not acceptable. We will fix that. We are through with the UniBeast installer, so eject and remove it.
Open preferences -> Energy saver and move sleep slider to never
Open Updates and turn off automatic updates
Open Security and Privacy and turn on the firewall and enable apps from anywhere
Set any other Preferences you want at this time and close preferences
If you have not already downloaded any files yet, launch Safari and go to http://www.tonymacx86.com/forum.php - log in and select Resources -> Downloads
For right now all we need is the latest version of MultiBeast for Mountain Lion - download it.
Launch MultiBeast and make these selections for no DSDT usage (note that sleep will not work without a DSDT, nor will audio over HDMI)

P8Z77-I settings.jpg

Notes on MultiBeast selections:
If you flashed your BIOS with the modded one, then skip NullCPU
If you plan to install a DSDT, then select With DSDT-> ALC898

Install

Before you reboot, open finder->Extra and double click on the org.chameleon.boot.plist to open it in text editor.

Add the graphics mode key to inject your screen resolution - e.g.
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

Save it and exit text edit.

Reboot and enjoy.

If you want sleep to work you are going to have to extract your DSDT and patch it. For this, you need DSDT Editor - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/83565-native-dsdt-aml-ide-compiler-maciasl-open-beta.html

To make it easier, here are some patches toleda made for the P8Z77-I

View attachment ASUS P8Z77I-patches.zip

Launch the DSDT Editor and extract your DSDT, open the clean compile patch and apply it, then open the asus files patch and apply it.
If you desire audio over HDMI, apply the HDMI audio bridge patch.

When you have finished with the patching and before you save the IASL, find under the Scope_PR section Method PTS and click on it. This will bring you to Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
Delete these two lines:
Store (SMIM, \_SB.PINX)
\_SB.ISMI (0x90)
Now click on IASL -> Compile to compile your DSDT. If you get an error message, click on fix error. When you get a clean compile with no errors,click on IASL ->Save as to save it. Name the file DSDT.aml and save it to Desktop. Then drag it to /Extra.
EDIT: Don't forget to reset energy saver settings to default or your preferred settings for sleep to work.

If you installed Realtek ALC*xxx Without DSDT the first time around, then navigate to S/L/E and delete the HDAEnabler kext- it is no longer needed. Repair permissions and reboot.

Note that on my system with the i5 3570K, sleep/wake works, but on toleda's system with the i7 3770K, sleep is not working at last report.

Enjoy

EDIT: Updated patches for DSDT per toleda 9/17/2012

Thank you very much.

Just curious why you set the video ram to only 64 MB? Why not allow the on-board GPU to use more RAM?

Just curious why you set the video ram to only 64 MB? Why not allow the on-board GPU to use more RAM?

OS X will use what it wants. Set it to 64 because the graphics tends to go to the top 4" of the screen and looks like colored "snow" if you are familiar with that term from old tube style TV sets when on a channel with no broadcast reception.

Going Bald.

Thanks so much for this guide. I'd never built a hackintosh before but this worked out first time with no *major* difficulties. I wanted to dual boot from the same SSD and windows was throwing up errors about not being able to find/use the partitions at the partition screen: "setup was unable to create a new system partition......" which i solved eventually by removing my other sata hard drives (wiiierd). Bascially i followed your multibooting guide exactly and in the end everything was cool.

I also managed to set the resolution of my screen wrong (i am and should be using 1920x1200 but i foolishly set it to 1080) and had a very glitchy three image half screen desktop thing that was almost unreadable. Fortunately i just about managed to re-edit chameleon plist without being able to see it and everything was fine after restart. Is there anyway to protect against that? If i really couldn't read it would i have had to do the whole thing again. I guess i could use some HFS+ mounting software in windows and edit from there....

Didn't bother with sound since i use an external card.
Wifi works using one of those recommended atheros cards - OOB.
Sleep is working fine so far (i'm on a i5 3570K too). I flashed the mod bios.

DSDT editor threw out some warnings (not errors) which i ignored... I couldn't find the Scope_PR lines you mention but i'm guessing they are sound related so i wouldn't have seen them, although your guide didn't quite make that clear.

A couple of noob questions that i might ask even though i can probably search :p ?

1. Good way of backing up this setup? Can i CCC the whole partition once i have it working as i like
2. Good way of syncing data between two macs? Guess i'm going to have to rsync it because it's too much data for a dropbox setup.

Thanks again. Ku

Going Bald.

Sleep is working fine so far (i'm on a i5 3570K too). I flashed the mod bios.

DSDT editor threw out some warnings (not errors) which i ignored... I couldn't find the Scope_PR lines you mention but i'm guessing they are sound related so i wouldn't have seen them, although your guide didn't quite make that clear.

A couple of noob questions that i might ask even though i can probably search :p ?

1. Good way of backing up this setup? Can i CCC the whole partition once i have it working as i like
2. Good way of syncing data between two macs? Guess i'm going to have to rsync it because it's too much data for a dropbox setup.

Thanks again. Ku
Strange that sleep is working without deleting the 2 lines in Scope _PR. Mine would sleep, but after awhile it would just reboot and it would not wake properly.

Good backup strategy is to CCC or SuperDuper to a spare drive (a 16Gb flash drive like the UniBeast USB will work) and install Chimera on it.
As far as synching data, I've never bothered. I prefer to use a shared NAS for all of mine, although I have put iTunes Library in the iCloud and have it set to update when I log into the cloud. iTunes match is a fairly good app to get if you don't already have it.

Well i could't even find them after a full search of the entire tree! They are not in my DSDT.

Well i could't even find them after a full search of the entire tree! They are not in my DSDT.

Please archive your DSDT and post it. TIA

So HD 4000 still not working on this board?

Also does anyone know if the 10.8.2 update has helped with everything (My Hack is currently down as the board is being RMA'd)

Thanks

hey Going Bald,

do i need to do anything in particular if i decide to use my evga gtx 670 (short pcb version)?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back