nVidia GeForce GT520 1024GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Specifications:
  • ASUS P8H61-M LE - (Installed on BIOS version 0606, now running on BIOS version 1001)[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Intel Core i3 2100[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Single Exceleram 4Gb DDR3 1333MHz (9-9-9-24)[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Onboard video for installation. Once Lion is installed, nVidia GT520.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • 3 x 3Gb/s SATA Samsung 1Tb drives[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • 1 x SATA LiteOn DVD ReWriter (with Blu-ray)[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]

Effectively this bundle: http://www.maplin.co.uk/intel-core-...-ddr3-memory-and-nvidia-gt520-graphics-532755

As far as I can remember these are the steps I followed to setup OS X 10.7.2 on my machine. I intend to use this machine as a server and am thus not really bothered about sound or full power management functionality so getting all of that to work I'll leave as an exercise for the reader. ;-) However, based on how long it took me to get this to work and the lack of information out there for this motherboard I figured I would document how I got it to work.

One other thing to bear in mind is that I was using a cheap Samsung SyncMaster monitor which only has a VGA connector. (Like I say, for a server so no fancy monitor required.) On completion of the Snow Leopard upgrade to 10.6.8 the default video card output switches to the DVI connector so you may need a monitor that supports that. I used my main monitor at this point until I had installed OS X Lion at which point I installed the nVidia GT520 which Lion detects and enables with full functionality.

Anyhoo, on to the actual install now where I hope this helps someone else…

STEP 1: HARDWARE SETUP & CONFIGURATION
Note - Follow the following points to the tee. Initially I didn't (i.e. I didn't think that extra attached harddrives would cause an issue) and it just would not work. Once I followed this configuration I could install Snow Leopard 10.6.0 successfully.
  • If you have greater than 4gb of RAM, remove the extra RAM for a maximum of 4Gb. You can put back any extra RAM in after the installation process.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Use the internal graphics only so remove any extra Graphics cards from the slots.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Remove any hard drives besides the blank drive being used for OS X.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Remove any USB peripherals besides keyboard and mouse.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • It's best to use an empty hard drive- you will have to partition and format the drive.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Set BCLK/PEG Frequency to 100[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Set your BIOS to ACHI mode for SATA.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Set Boot Priority to boot from CD-ROM first.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Disable HPET.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]

STEP 2: INSTALL MAC OS X 10.6.0
  • In order to boot the Mac OS X Retail DVD, you'll need to download and burn the latest
    version of iBoot (I used 3.2.0). Do not use the legacy version of iBoot![/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Burn the image to CD[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Place iBoot in CD/DVD drive[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Restart computer[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • At boot prompt, eject iBoot[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Insert your Mac OS X Snow Leopard Retail DVD and press F5[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • When you see the Mac OS disk appear, press enter to begin the boot process[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • When you get to the installation screen, open Utilities/Disk Utility.
    NOTE: If cannot get to the installation screen, retry from Step 4, type PCIRootUID=1 before hitting enter. If that doesn't work then try PCIRootUID=1 -x or just -x which will enter Mac OS X Safe Mode and will allow you to proceed. You can also specify -v for verbose logging.
    If you are attempting to install Snow Leopard with the nVidia GT520 video card installed (note that for a successful installation I had to remove this and I recommend that you do too) then you will need to specify PCIRootUID=1.)[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Partition your hard drive to GUID Partition Table. I partitioned my drive with a 74Gb Boot partition, a large partition containing the rest of the disk space and a final 8Gb partition for the Lion install. (i.e. the main "data" partition was 1TB - (74Gb + 8Gb) ) I will use RAID1 on my data partition hence the partitioning strategy but up to you.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Format your partitions using Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
    NOTE: The bootloader can only boot from a disk or partition of 1 TB or less. [/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • For the purposes of this guide, name it Snow Leopard. You can rename it later.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Close Disk Utility[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • When the installer asks you where to install, choose Snow Leopard[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Choose Customize‚ and uncheck additional options. This will hasten the install process though I had to do this to get a successful install. You can always install this stuff later.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Restart computer.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Place iBoot back in drive.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • When you get to the boot selection screen, choose your new Snow Leopard installation.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Set up your computer.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Shut down.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • At this point I plugged in the other 2 Samsung 1Tb disks, partitioned them in the same way as the other main disk and used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Snow Leopard installation to the similar partitions on each of the other drives. Then I ran MultiBeast, selecting EasyBeast and System Utilities, on each of the copies. Then rebooted a number of times, testing that the machine will boot from each of the copies. When successful, booted the machine using the original partition.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]

STEP 3: UPDATE TO 10.6.8
  • Download the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Combo Update
    (From here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399)[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Download latest version of MultiBeast (I used 3.9.1) for Snow Leopard.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Download UpdateHelper[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Run UpdateHelper.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Reboot.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Open MultiBeast- don't run it yet, just leave it open.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Mount MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Install MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.pkg[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Upon completion, the installer will ask you to reboot. DO NOT REBOOT.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Switch to the already open MultiBeast application.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Select EasyBeast and "System Utilities" only and install.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Remove the iBoot disk.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Reboot and the machine should now boot from the harddrive.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Run MultiBeast again, configuring the following:
    - The network card, using the Realtek 81xx drivers. Don't use the "Lnx2Mac" drivers as they don't work with the P8H61-M LE motherboard.
    - Sound (I've yet to configure this properly. The options I chose didn't work but please feel free to reply here if you manage to get this to work.)
    - Install the "ShowAllFiles" utility.
    - Install "System Utilities" again. (Dunno if this is required but I did this.)[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Reboot (without iBoot) and you should now be able to configure the network etc.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Clone to one of the partitions, reboot and load from the cloned partition. If it works, clone to the other partition and check that you can boot from that too. Boot back into the original partition.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]

STEP 4: UPDATE TO 10.7.2
  • Boot into 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Download latest version of xMove[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Download latest version of MultiBeast for Lion.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Buy (and thus download) the OS X Lion App directly from the Mac App Store - it will automatically open.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Click Continue.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Target your currently booted Snow Leopard drive and hit Install. This will not install the OS or affect this drive in any way. It will simply install the files necessary to do so later in the process.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Click Restart to reboot.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Boot back into your existing Snow Leopard installation.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • If you did not create the "installer" partition during partitioning during initial installation, create it now as follows:
    a) Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
    b) Highlight your Snow Leopard drive in left column.
    c) Choose the Partition tab, and Click the + to Add a Partition.
    d) Name the secondary partition Installer with a size of 8 GB and click Apply.
    e) Click Partition.
    f) Close Disk Utility[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Double-Click xMove, and choose Installer as Destination.
    WARNING: DO NOT choose existing Snow Leopard as the Destination.
    Do not interrupt the process- it will only take a few minutes. When done, you'll have a secondary partition on your drive containing the OS X Lion Installer! If xMove fails, you haven't installed the Lion App to your currently booted drive- and it cannot find the necessary files. A quick way to remedy this is to manually mount the InstallESD.dmg and run xMove again. [/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Reboot- at the Chimera boot screen, choose Installer[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • It will boot directly to a familiar Mac OS X Installer complete with Disk Utility.[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Install OS X Lion over existing Snow Leopard partition. Because you've installed directly over an existing Snow Leopard installation, you're done! You should already have done proper post-installation steps on your existing Snow Leopard drive, so simply reboot into Lion![/*:m:1hs8mtcd]
  • Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your new Lion partition to one of the cloned Snow Leopard installations. Reboot into the clone partition to make sure it works. You should now have a Snow Leopard clone and Lion clone enabling you to recover if things go bad. I also cloned these to different partitions on an external USB harddrive. (Note you can boot from external USB devices on PCs, something you cannot do on Macs.)[/*:m:1hs8mtcd]

References:
For Snow Leopard install:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html

For Lion install:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html

hi, can you guide me.
i stuck at hardware configuration

Disable HPET.

cannot find this on bios.

fyi, i already have hard disk with snow leopard which previous on i3 530.
i unable to boot this hard disk on my new i3 2100.
my mobo is same as you...

tq

I'm currently working on this. I am installing with a GT240.
Everything seems to be working fine.
Sound is gonna be the challenge. Ill post back when I figure it out.

HPET setting is under the Ai Tweaker.

Okay It is really easy with UniBeast.

All you have to do is the EasyBeast install,
and to get the ethernet working you install the Realtek drivers.
As for Sound, it was mentioned in this thread here by dmazar
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20824

use AppleHDA
- remove ALC8xxHDA from /E/E
- put attached ALC887vdHDA_6Ch_RMic_SPDIF.kext into /E/E
- run MultiBeast with selected System Utilities + AppleHDA Rollback + ALC887/888b HDAEnabler
- reboot
- you should get stereo out as Internal Speakers or headphones if plugged-in + 2 more lines out + SPDIF out + rear mic in + rear line in
- SPDIF not tested - would be nice to hear if this works
- if switching between IntSpeakers and headphones does not work for you, then download rafirafi's original version from the second link and replace ALC887vdHDA_6Ch.. with that one (plus run MultiBeast with System Utilities only)

Attachments

• ALC887vdHDA_6Ch_RMic_SPDIF.kext.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 485
selikatwo said:
hi, can you guide me.
i stuck at hardware configuration

Disable HPET.

cannot find this on bios.

fyi, i already have hard disk with snow leopard which previous on i3 530.
i unable to boot this hard disk on my new i3 2100.
my mobo is same as you...

tq

HPET is the "High Precision Timer" setting in the BIOS in case you still haven't found it. Disable that and you should be on your way...

heyhey,
thanks for the installation guide. It really helped me a lot.
I have the same motherboard which makes your guide perfect for me.
But i got a problem.
I updatet to 10.6.8 which didn't cause any problems. But when now when boot from hd there are 3 cases:
1) VGA/normal boot : No Signal after normal boot.
2) DVI/normal boot : Blue screen after booting which turns to some strange colour-picture after a while.
3) VGA or DVI/safe mode : Working without a problem. But without internet i am not able to upgrade to Lion.
I need to upgrade to Lion because of my graphiccard (6870).
Some ideas what may cause the problem?
Thanks for your help! ;)
phil

Howdy,

So are you booting from disk with the ATi 6870 card in the system? If so, don't do that. Remove the card and set up Lion using the onboard graphics card. Once Lion is installed then put your other card back into the system.

See my introductory notes where I had to install everything using the onboard graphics card until I had installed Lion where I could then plug in my nVidia card.

Thanks for the answer! The 6870 was unplugged.. When i plugged it in i got a grey screen after booting. Just for testing..
How long did it take u to get it working? :D
Phil

Ah okay, I thought it might be the "easy" thing to fix but alas...

I took about a month I guess, all being told, to get it to work but I was doing this on-and-off as I was also setting up an HDMI matrix at the time so I tended to work on whichever one had annoyed me the least :) Hence the installation guide here because some things you just have to do else the installation just won't work. So I figured this would help others and also be documentation for myself should I ever have to go through it again, though I think next time I'll just install Lion from scratch. (At the time I didn't realise you could do that and I also think that the tools weren't quite there yet to facilitate that.) Still, doing it this way I learnt a heckuva lot so it is really good to do.

Anyhoo, on to your issue. I seem to recall having to boot into safe mode a number of times and fiddling with the resolution settings etc. in Settings -> Display. I think the funny lines etc. usually indicates an incorrect resolution setting so try setting that using the DVI connector.

I actually bought this bundle:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/intel-core-i3-a ... ics-532755

This installation guide worked like a charm for me!

Once I'd updated to lion I found there was native support for the GT 520 which was a nice surprise. I got the audio working by installing both the appleHDA rollback ket and VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 ket and rebooting. I'm not sure which one made it work exactly but its very stable.

Now that I have lion running fully is it alright to delete the 8gb partition used to install lion or do I need to keep that?

Thanks for all your help,
TomByrne94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back