Contribute
Register

[Guide] Asus GL551JW (and similar) (via hotpatching)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me see if i can capture an earlier image or use a monitor that has a better response time. I know it is blurry guys, sorry, but not because of the way i captured it as much as the LCD response of the panel. That screenshot was captured from a recording done at 240fps, the laptop is booting past that screen so quickly that you can't even see it at regular speed. The blur is literally the LCD still "ghosting" the previous lines of text because it's moving faster than the LCD panel can render.

See 'debug' option from Clover space bar menu.
And try to narrow down the specific change that causes the problem (or makes the problem go away).
Then attach details.

Yes, i do believe I am using the latest version of all kexts.

Let me see if i can capture an earlier image or use a monitor that has a better response time. I know it is blurry guys, sorry, but not because of the way i captured it as much as the LCD response of the panel. That screenshot was captured from a recording done at 240fps, the laptop is booting past that screen so quickly that you can't even see it at regular speed. The blur is literally the LCD still "ghosting" the previous lines of text because it's moving faster than the LCD panel can render.

Thanks for the heads up on that!!
Regarding the kexts, it'll be like 4.7 beta 5, and 2.6.

Regarding filming, I found I could record mine fine on the internal monitor using my phone (only 30 or 60fps?).
I think the video would be beneficial, if possible.

See 'debug' option from Clover space bar menu.
And try to narrow down the specific change that causes the problem (or makes the problem go away).
Then attach details.

They have, it's the _Q0E -> XQ0E patch, and _Q0F -> XQ0F patch.
The debug could be useful though!

They have, it's the _Q0E -> XQ0E patch, and _Q0F -> XQ0F patch.

The most common mistake in renaming with hotpatch (that causes KP) is renaming such that the new identifiers are not unique. It is an error to have an multiple ACPI identifiers with the same name in the same scope.
A quick check of the patches to insure they don't rename to the same thing... and...
A quick check of native ACPI to insure that the new names are not already in use for already existing objects in that scope...

The most common mistake in renaming with hotpatch (that causes KP) is renaming such that the new identifiers are not unique. It is an error to have an multiple ACPI identifiers with the same name in the same scope.
A quick check of the patches to insure they don't rename to the same thing... and...
A quick check of native ACPI to insure that the new names are not already in use for already existing objects in that scope...

As they reached a kernel panic AFTER the kexts had loaded, would it not imply it passed the ACPI bit already?

Looking at the config, there isn't anything that I see as a duplicate. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're using my exact config (albeit not the same serial etc). Also, having looked at their DSDT/SSDTs provided, I can't see any XQ0E/F there currently, so the rename would produce their single instances.

As they reached a kernel panic AFTER the kexts had loaded, would it not imply it passed the ACPI bit already?

ACPI panic happens in a kext. (AppleACPIPlatform.kext).

Looking at the config, there isn't anything that I see as a duplicate. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're using my exact config (albeit not the same serial etc). Also, having looked at their DSDT/SSDTs provided, I can't see any XQ0E/F there currently, so the rename would produce their single instances.

Then it is probably something else.
Being able to read the panic is paramount.
As is complete "Problem Reporting" files for each scenario (working *and* not working).

Sorry for the delay,

here is an included boot video and problem reporting files

The video is still tough to decipher. If needed, I'm pretty sure I can see each line when i go frame by frame so if I knew more of which section to capture I could recreate the lines

Attachments

• archive.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 130
Sorry for the delay,

here is an included boot video and problem reporting files

The video is still tough to decipher. If needed, I'm pretty sure I can see each line when i go frame by frame so if I knew more of which section to capture I could recreate the lines
you don't need a sorted order with hotpatch, not to say that will solve your issue though :)

my laptop is g551jm, i7-4710hq + nvidia 860m + hd4600. Can I use this guide? and do I need any modification to it? my 10.12.6 is ok but cannot install 10.13

my laptop is g551jm, i7-4710hq + nvidia 860m + hd4600. Can I use this guide? and do I need any modification to it? my 10.12.6 is ok but cannot install 10.13

Literally the same latptop model I am using, so, I would assume you would have the exact same results following this guide as I have had.

edit:

Although... I take that back. I replaced the factory intel wifi card with a broadcom BCM94352HMB card that I picked up online for cheap. You won't have wireless with the Intel card for now (or forever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back