Contribute
Register

[Guide] Asus GL551JW (and similar) (via hotpatching)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for this. Great post and nice scripts too.

Running a GL551JM and almost everything was identical to what I had going already except I was having trouble with power saving and nvidia disabling. The location of the nvidia hotpatches matched exactly on my laptop so I was able to drop in the patch with perfect success.

My only problems are the hotkeys and sleep related things. For whatever reason I can't adjust display brightness or keyboard backlighting. Sound hotkeys work, but then again they always did even after a fresh install. That, and I have to reboot to fix my wifi card after sleep because it stops working sometimes.

Anyhow, I'm working to solve those issues, I just wanted to say thanks.

For hotkeys, I can only suggest using the two kexts I can't link to (AsusNBFnKeys and ApplePS2SmartTouchpad). I use those, and after configuring it, and adding the SSDT-PS2K hotpatch, it works wonderfully. Sleep also works fine for me, including WiFi etc. What WiFi card do you have?

For hotkeys, I can only suggest using the two kexts I can't link to (AsusNBFnKeys and ApplePS2SmartTouchpad). I use those, and after configuring it, and adding the SSDT-PS2K hotpatch, it works wonderfully. Sleep also works fine for me, including WiFi etc. What WiFi card do you have?

I do use the kexts you mention, they are great. I've had asusnbfnkeys working before I switched to hotpatching. I run the same wifi card as you, but I might have solved my issue by disabling "Wake for network access" in syspref>power.

The main problem I have with the fn keys is applying the hotpatches you have set up:

_Q0E -> XQ0E + _Q0F -> XQ0F

If i enable them, i get a panic and reboot.

I'm about to work on it some more to see if i can figure it out.

I do use the kexts you mention, they are great. I've had asusnbfnkeys working before I switched to hotpatching. I run the same wifi card as you, but I might have solved my issue by disabling "Wake for network access" in syspref>power.

The main problem I have with the fn keys is applying the hotpatches you have set up:

_Q0E -> XQ0E + _Q0F -> XQ0F

If i enable them, i get a panic and reboot.

I'm about to work on it some more to see if i can figure it out.
I assume you've got SSDT-PS2K in the patched folder too?

If so, post your DSDT (dumped via Clover), and I'll take a look. It'd also be really helpful if you take a video of the kernel panic so we can see where it messes up.

Last edited:
I am indeed using ssdt-ps2k. I've included my clover folder and a screenshot of the best I could do on the panic. It was almost impossible to get because it was so fast. Even recording it in slo-motion on my iphone barely caught it and the ghosting makes it tough to read, but I think it's there for the most part. Note that the patches are disabled in the clover config.plist (so I could actually boot).

Thanks again for the help

View attachment 287099

I am indeed using ssdt-ps2k. I've included my clover folder and a screenshot of the best I could do on the panic. It was almost impossible to get because it was so fast. Even recording it in slo-motion on my iphone barely caught it and the ghosting makes it tough to read, but I think it's there for the most part. Note that the patches are disabled in the clover config.plist (so I could actually boot).

View attachment 287099

Impossible to read the KP.
Perhaps you have an incorrect version of the PS2 kext.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-in-10-13-high-sierra.233582/

View attachment 287099

Just to clarify, you can boot with the kexts installed so long as you don't apply the _Q0E or _Q0F patches?
Also, are you using the latest versions of each kext?

As far as I can see the patches should apply fine, as your DSDT looks very similar to mine.
Can I get the output of:
Code:
kextstat | grep -v 'com.apple'

Also, I actually need to see the bit earlier on the panic. Any chance you can record it with a different phone, and upload the whole video?

On a sidenote, you probably want to delete the MSDM.aml file dumped, as it has your windows serial in it.

Impossible to read the KP.
Perhaps you have an incorrect version of the PS2 kext.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-in-10-13-high-sierra.233582/

They're not using VoodooPS2, they're using ApplePS2SmartTouchpad. As far as I know there wasn't much issue with compatibility (I updated to High Sierra easily).

Just to clarify, you can boot with the kexts installed so long as you don't apply the _Q0E or _Q0F patches?
Also, are you using the latest versions of each kext?

Yes, i do believe I am using the latest version of all kexts.

Also, I actually need to see the bit earlier on the panic. Any chance you can record it with a different phone, and upload the whole video?

Let me see if i can capture an earlier image or use a monitor that has a better response time. I know it is blurry guys, sorry, but not because of the way i captured it as much as the LCD response of the panel. That screenshot was captured from a recording done at 240fps, the laptop is booting past that screen so quickly that you can't even see it at regular speed. The blur is literally the LCD still "ghosting" the previous lines of text because it's moving faster than the LCD panel can render.

On a sidenote, you probably want to delete the MSDM.aml file dumped, as it has your windows serial in it.

Thanks for the heads up on that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back