Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everybody,

This guide is written for a setup for this specific board with a setup of 10.7.3 from USB. It works for me - I hope it does the same for you. Disclaimer: For obvious reasons all changes to your hardware (BIOS) or Lion kext setup are your, and only your problem. Good luck anyway ;)

just in case someone searches these forums for a thread that mentions my new board: The Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 works out of box with Lion using the great Multibeast. Boot from USB, install Lion to target disk, reboot from USB but choose Lion HDD.

Start Multibeast setup and choose UserDSDT with the following DSDT: dsdt.aml.zip

Now install - using some tool or by hand if you know what you're doing - the following kexts:

- Audio: AppleHDA.kext.zip
- Video: According to your GPU. In my case (ATI 6850) nothing needed.
- Network: Lnx2Ma'S RealtekRTL82xx Ethernet from Multibeast
- Other: VoodooTSCSync.kext.zip

Extract the contents of Extra contents.zip to your /Extra folder and overwrite existing files.

Reboot.

Patch your BIOS using the modified 1.2 BIOS: Z68P3G31_modified.20.zip

Do not forget that your UEFI settings are set to their defaults after an update. Remember to set them to your required values afterwards (AHCI, Speedstep, ...).

Boot into Lion. Remove - if it exists - nullcpupowermanagement.kext.

Reboot.

Now your machine should be running with Lion with Audio, Network, full GPU support, sleep and wake. However, to make sleep work automagically, you'll need to use PleaseSleep (http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/), a free tool that forces your Hack to sleep because otherwise it won't go to sleep by itself. Enjoy!

Attachments

• AppleHDA.kext.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 702
  • VoodooTSCSync.kext.zip
    17.6 KB · Views: 609
  • Extra contents.zip
    2 KB · Views: 696
  • dsdt.aml.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 784
  • Z68P3G31_modified.20.zip
    3 MB · Views: 797
Hello Effendi,

that sounds promising. I've got the same board and I am slowly beginning to take an interest in OSX. I've been using Linux for more than a decade by now. For some work-related stuff I do have to multi-boot windows, though. I intend to ditch it in favour of OSX. Do post any further progress you make! You didn't by any chance try to utilize the HD3000 GPU of the corei-CPU? I would like to avoid installing any dedicated GPU as the HD3000 fits my needs just fine.

I don't, but judging from what I've read so far in this and other boards, the Intel HD3000 is fully supported out-of-box. :thumbup:

HD2000 actually works during installation but no longer at the first real boot. Just install, boot with -x to circumvent the faulty GFX and install Multibeast with the appropriate settings for the 4850 (which works just fine, I used it before the 6850).

Updated post #1 with new instructions and downloads to get sleep fully working. Thanks to the community for all the help :)

What is the BIOS Good for? Why do i Need it?

Do you have tried to Installa Mountain Lion yet?

Thanks.

Hey schoenling,

the UEFI is required for native Speedstep support and frees you from having to use certain suppressive kexts. It works for me on two identical boards, so there should be no reason to be hesitant, but I understand your questions. I tried 10.8 once as I have a developer account, but it didn't work as expected (or as it is to be expected from a beta) and I deleted it again as a result. I won't post any guides however for 10.8 until released and actually relevant.

Best wishes,
Effendi

Usb 3.0 not working solution?
And how about audio? 5.1 channel is not working for me...

I'm trying to get this board working with unibeast.
i5 2400, no pci/pcie cards, 4 gigs of ram.
Gets stuck at com_lnx2mac_RealtekRTL81xx where it shows the mac address
Any suggestions?

Edit: Was able to boot to the installer after switching to using DVI for video. I should have known better than to use hdmi... Classic problem child...

Concerning USB3 and 5.1 sound I have to admit, that I do not use it and do not intend to try to. I simply have no use for both features ;). I'll be happy to update the main post should anyone come up with a working solution for any of these features!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back