Contribute
Register

[Guide] Asrock UEFI Boot Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try with compatibility mode? Also, be sure to boot it with uefi so that you are able to modify with efibootmgr.

Please help... i got the same problem with my Asrock z77 Extreme 4. I try to boot linux with my usb, but when i press F11 for boot menu i got 2 boot option with my linux usb one is "usb" and other one is "uefi". i cant choose the "uefi" it keep return me to boot order screen, and when i choose "usb" i can go through the GRUB bootloader then i when i pick Start Linux Mint, i got my pc blackscreen no signal from monitor and restart. What should i do ???

View attachment 156513View attachment 156514

Take the UEFI boot option then select compatibility mode. You must boot UEFI otherwise it wont work.

I believed I did everything correctly however when i tried to boot, it keeps coming back to the same screen. Please see the video that i uploaded. Do you know what could cause this? My spec is in my profile to the left. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbuLafLsAI

THANK YOU very much!

I can confirm that it worked on my AsRock 75 Pro3 now running El Capitan.

I believed I did everything correctly however when i tried to boot, it keeps coming back to the same screen. Please see the video that i uploaded. Do you know what could cause this? My spec is in my profile to the left. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbuLafLsAI

I have the same mobo as you, and I used this method twice. It's important to mention that after a second clean install I had to apply this method again. I had the same problem you have in your uploaded video. The only way I could solve the problem was to reset the cmos in the back IO panel. I also used a linux cd distro instead of a usb. I installed El Capitan with the default bios settings, so that's why I could reset my cmos without any worries. It loaded instantly after that.

I have the same mobo as you, and I used this method twice. It's important to mention that after a second clean install I had to apply this method again. I had the same problem you have in your uploaded video. The only way I could solve the problem was to reset the cmos in the back IO panel. I also used a linux cd distro instead of a usb. I installed El Capitan with the default bios settings, so that's why I could reset my cmos without any worries. It loaded instantly after that.

Interesting point and thanks for posting. I wasn't aware that a new clean UEFI install reverted this, although it is mentioned in the guide that you should already have a full clean install of El Cap (typically) before proceeding.

As mentioned though, and as you point out, once you have the OS installed, if there are any issues getting this method to work you can simply do a bios reset and begin the UEFI fix again as if you were starting from scratch. Useful if you make a mistake or think you might not have got it quite right.

No need to re-install the OS or Clover either so long as you have done a standard install.

:thumbup:

Interesting point and thanks for posting. I wasn't aware that a new clean UEFI install reverted this, although it is mentioned in the guide that you should already have a full clean install of El Cap (typically) before proceeding.

As mentioned though, and as you point out, once you have the OS installed, if there are any issues getting this method to work you can simply do a bios reset and begin the UEFI fix again as if you were starting from scratch. Useful if you make a mistake or think you might not have got it quite right.

No need to re-install the OS or Clover either so long as you have done a standard install.

:thumbup:

Yes, a standard install is crucial. Just to add to the point. My second install, I did exactly as the first one. Erased my ssd drive with correct settings. Since I`ve done your method once, a clean install did nothing to the boot menu. Even after entering into efibootmgr and making sure that EFI/ClOVER was the first in the list, it would'nt boot into it. Only after resetting cmos and applying the method again, it worked fine.

Yes, a standard install is crucial. Just to add to the point. My second install, I did exactly as the first one. Erased my ssd drive with correct settings. Since I`ve done your method once, a clean install did nothing to the boot menu. Even after entering into efibootmgr and making sure that EFI/ClOVER was the first in the list, it would'nt boot into it. Only after resetting cmos and applying the method again, it worked fine.

It may internally be looking for a unique identifier (Im thinking UUID type) belonging to the partition where OSX was installed. That would make sense. So when you install again, the UUID changes, it can no longer associate with the original valid partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back