Contribute
Register

[guide] AMD RX 480 8 GB + MSI H110M Gaming + Skylake i5 6500 (macOS 10.12.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed all of the directions in post 1 but I get a black screen. OS X appears to have loaded because I can hear noise when pressing the keyboard.
Make sure that RX 480 is installed in first slot on the motherboard and that the display cable is connected to RX 480 & display. Plug NO OTHER display cables into the computer! Also make sure EFIBIOS PCI Graphics Adapter is set to IGPU, not PEG!

If all of the above doesn't lead to success, please re-install and re-patch the kexts and Clover config. If it still fails, please upload your config.plist file and (sorry just noticed your earlier post) leave out the patch vbios! We'll get this working together. :p
I assume you have working IGPU (unplug RX 480 power cable and connect motherboard and display?

Make sure that RX 480 is installed in first slot on the motherboard and that the display cable is connected to RX 480 & display. Plug NO OTHER display cables into the computer! Also make sure EFIBIOS PCI Graphics Adapter is set to IGPU, not PEG!

If all of the above doesn't lead to success, please re-install and re-patch the kexts and Clover config. If it still fails, please upload your config.plist file and (sorry just noticed your earlier post) leave out the patch vbios! We'll get this working together. :p
I assume you have working IGPU (unplug RX 480 power cable and connect motherboard and display?

@conath No worries. I have only Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 motherboard which only has one PCI slot. The Visiontek RX 480 8GB (blower style) is plugged into this slot. Motherboard bios is set to load IGFX first. I tried loading with only display cables connected to RX 480. Tried reinstalling Sierra 10.12.4 from scratch. Still no luck. Yes, I have a working IGPU from Skylake 6500. I have uploaded my config file. Thank you for your help!!

System Report:
PCI slot shows:
Type: VGA-Compatible Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
MSI: No
Bus: PCI
Slot: PCI Slot 0
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x67df
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1002
Subsystem ID: 0x0b37
Revision ID: 0x00c7
Link Width: x16
Link Speed: 8.0 GT/s

Graphics section:
Display:
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: PCI Slot 0
PCIe Lane Width: x16
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00c7
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 267
You definitely have all the kexts in there, otherwise your install wouldn't be working at all. You could try reinstalling or looking harder. ;)

Think it was a bad install, I've reinstalled a couple times and every time now those folders and now the 9510 folder in 10.12.4 shows up and everything is working! Thanks

@conath No worries. I have only Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 motherboard which only has one PCI slot. The Visiontek RX 480 8GB (blower style) is plugged into this slot. Motherboard bios is set to load IGFX first. I tried loading with only display cables connected to RX 480. Tried reinstalling Sierra 10.12.4 from scratch. Still no luck. Yes, I have a working IGPU from Skylake 6500. I have uploaded my config file. Thank you for your help!!

I compared your config to mine, listing the differences that seem suspicious here. Have a look at each one and think about / test which one you need to make your system work or which one might be erroneous:
  • Boot: Legacy = PBR, XMPDetection = No
  • Devices: Fake IDs for all non-ATI are set to 0x0
  • Graphics: You have not set the VRAM amount. Also try leaving the ig-platform-id blank (that's how I'm currently set up, I forgot to update the guide! :crazy:)!
  • Kernel and Kext Patches: AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer patch
  • System Parameters: Inject Kexts = Yes, Inject System ID = Yes

I compared your config to mine, listing the differences that seem suspicious here. Have a look at each one and think about / test which one you need to make your system work or which one might be erroneous:
  • Boot: Legacy = PBR, XMPDetection = No
  • Devices: Fake IDs for all non-ATI are set to 0x0
  • Graphics: You have not set the VRAM amount. Also try leaving the ig-platform-id blank (that's how I'm currently set up, I forgot to update the guide! :crazy:)!
  • Kernel and Kext Patches: AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer patch
  • System Parameters: Inject Kexts = Yes, Inject System ID = Yes

Thanks for getting back to me. I set the graphics VRAM amount, left ig-platform id blank, and removed the AppleIntelSKLgraphicsframebuffer patch, XMP detection = yes, and messed around with several different Boot legal = sata, legacy bios, and still nothing. May I ask what settings you have for Boot and System Parameters?

Thanks for getting back to me. I set the graphics VRAM amount, left ig-platform id blank, and removed the AppleIntelSKLgraphicsframebuffer patch, XMP detection = yes, and messed around with several different Boot legal = sata, legacy bios, and still nothing. May I ask what settings you have for Boot and System Parameters?
I have nothing set for Boot → Legacy and no values at all on the System Parameters page. However, I suspect that you have somehow managed to patch the kexts incorrectly (same black screen happened to me when I updated from 10.12.3, solved by re-patching the kexts correctly).

I could follow your guide up until the part with getting the RX 480 to work. It looks like the kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ is missing. I don't know why that is and searched for how to get it. Might have been a bad install of something if anyone could help that would be great!

Mobo: MSI B150 Gaming M3
CPU: i3 6100
GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4G
RAM: 2 x 8 GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS 2400 DDR4

Sometimes this fooled me as well... :( Sometimes it works with "\" sometimes with "/" mmmpff :crazy:

Last edited:
how do you know if one has full acceleration? never heard hiss
I using:
Sierra 10.12.5
Asus strix z270G
i7 7700k
sapphire rx 580 nitro+ 8g

I have a junk monitor (dell SE2717H) only has HDMI input does that make a difference.

is there away to change "Graphics AMD Radeon RX 480" to 580?
any reason why mines says "7 MB" instead of 8 gigs?

attached my config file. Any and all help welcomed... Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• config.plist
    12.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited by a moderator:
how do you know if one has full acceleration? never heard hiss
I using:
Sierra 10.12.5
Asus strix z270G
i7 7700k
sapphire rx 580 nitro+ 8g

I have a junk monitor (dell SE2717H) only has HDMI input does that make a difference.

is there away to change "Graphics AMD Radeon RX 480" to 580?
any reason why mines says "7 MB" instead of 8 gigs?

attached my config file. Any and all help welcomed... Thanks in advance!

were you be able to solve your issue sir?

Last edited by a moderator:
were you be able to solve your issue sir?
Nope... still booting in igpu then switching to rx580 after boots. Guess waiting/praying its plug and play for 10.12.6 or 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back