Contribute
Register

[guide] AMD RX 480 8 GB + MSI H110M Gaming + Skylake i5 6500 (macOS 10.12.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ norris7.

I see you have a socket 2011, how did you get the AMD card working, what did you use for the helper GPU.

@ norris7.

I see you have a socket 2011, how did you get the AMD card working, what did you use for the helper GPU.

I'm currently using an AMD Radeon 7950 (in slot 2) as my helper GPU. This allows me to see the BIOS and Clover boot screens. Both cards are plugged into the same monitor, so once booted, I just toggle my monitor to the DVI input, which is coming from the RX 480. However, if I/one doesn't care about seeing the boot process (I have an SSD, so booting is quite fast) and I leave the monitor off, the system goes directly to the RX 480 when I turn it on (assuming booting as finished). I expect I could actually take the 7950 out if I wanted to only use this latter process but I haven't tested that.

@conath I followed all of the steps but cannot get Visiontek RX 480 Reference card 8GB to work on Z170N. Whenever I use V-bios patch, I get black screen with _ and clover does not load. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I don't have any AMD kexts, trying to get my RX 480 to work but I don't have the kext to modify. I downloaded Sierra off of the App Store and used unibeast for the usb creation. any ideas where I could get the kexts..?

@conath

Hi, I just completed my first Hackintosh and was able to get my RX 480 working with your guide, It looks like everything is working properly but when I try and run Geekbench it does not recognize the card as a compute device. Does this mean its not all working properly?

Also I get a lot of graphics glitches moving around the OS, theyre nothing major and im sure there will always be some glitches since its not native hardware.

@conath I followed all of the steps but cannot get Visiontek RX 480 Reference card 8GB to work on Z170N. Whenever I use V-bios patch, I get black screen with _ and clover does not load. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
This is caused by incorrect graphics injection or by having the cable plugged into the motherboard instead of the RX 480. Make sure to follow all steps outlined in post 1 and plug into the RX 480!!

@conath

Hi, I just completed my first Hackintosh and was able to get my RX 480 working with your guide, It looks like everything is working properly but when I try and run Geekbench it does not recognize the card as a compute device. Does this mean its not all working properly?

Also I get a lot of graphics glitches moving around the OS, theyre nothing major and im sure there will always be some glitches since its not native hardware.
Please make sure you follow all the steps to get the graphics acceleration working. Also plug in the monitor cable into the RX 480 and make sure the UEFI Bios settings are correct (PCI Settings → IGPU, not PEG).

I could follow your guide up until the part with getting the RX 480 to work. It looks like the kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ is missing. I don't know why that is and searched for how to get it. Might have been a bad install of something if anyone could help that would be great!

Mobo: MSI B150 Gaming M3
CPU: i3 6100
GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4G
RAM: 2 x 8 GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS 2400 DDR4
You definitely have all the kexts in there, otherwise your install wouldn't be working at all. You could try reinstalling or looking harder. ;)

This is caused by incorrect graphics injection or by having the cable plugged into the motherboard instead of the RX 480. Make sure to follow all steps outlined in post 1 and plug into the RX 480!!

I followed all of the directions in post 1 but I get a black screen. OS X appears to have loaded because I can hear noise when pressing the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back