Contribute
Register

[guide] AMD RX 480 8 GB + MSI H110M Gaming + Skylake i5 6500 (macOS 10.12.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but,
I followed all of these directions in Clover Configurator but in GRAPHICS when I click on the "Patch VBios" it works fine and my Sapphire RX 480 8GB loads fine but Clover is not longer an option when I boot up and I have to use the USB to do so.
When I unclick the "Patch VBios" then the drivers for the 480 don't load (Black Screen) but I do have the Clover Boot Options at bootup.
Anyone know what that is and how it can be fixed?
As mentioned in the very first post and in other posts, there is NO WAY to fix this. There will always be a black screen before macOS has started up unless Apple drivers get updated properly.

1. System Preference- Start up Disk- choose windows and restart. It will set the default to windows.
Not practical because there would be no way to change it back.
2. Switch the HDMI from RX 480 to onboard HDMI, and choose windows through my bios setting. Switch back to rx 480 when im in windows.
This is what I do, not too big of a deal. You can get two cables and just unplug the motherboard one after Bios.

I can do all of the directions in Post #1 except the RX 480’s PCI ID to AMDRadeonX4100.kext. If I do that,
it crashes my computer. If I replace that kext with a unmodified one, then the computer boots. No acceleration of course.
Remember to use Kext Utility to install the kext and make sure to use the correct ID for your specific card.

I have an i7 6700t, msi h110m gaming, and a gtx780. should i ditch the 780 and just get this running on internal graphics? Or is the 780 still a easy card to get going.

My main PC which I use is basically destined to windows it seems, I got all of these 3 parts for great deal otherwise i probably wouldve just built another 6700t. I have a x99 msi titanium + i7 6800k with a gtx1070 which im hoping does get drivers eventually because i didnt want to run an amd rx480 card on this rig even though ive been offered a rx480+200$ for my 1070 strix.

So yeah will the gtx780 work in this h110m build? or stick to internal gfx ?
You should make your own thread for that. My advice would be stick with Nvidia it's got the Web Drivers :rolleyes:

Remember to use Kext Utility to install the kext and make sure to use the correct ID for your specific card.
Thanks, but I always do it that way. Drag kext on Kext Utility and it does the rest.
I just wondered why clicking or unclicking "patch vbios" causes booting up from clover to appear and disappear.

As mentioned in the very first post and in other posts, there is NO WAY to fix this. There will always be a black screen before macOS has started up unless Apple drivers get updated properly.
I have been doing the startup with internal graphics, choosing which hard drive I want to boot from in Clover, then unpluggin the HDMI cable and plugging into the RX 480 and blindly waiting for the desktop to show up. I don't mind this. Only I can't choose which hard drive unless I use my USB to choose. Clover doesn't show up if I want the Apple drivers to load. Clicking patch vbios on and off determines which way that goes. That's my problem.

Not practical because there would be no way to change it back.

This is what I do, not too big of a deal. You can get two cables and just unplug the motherboard one after Bios.
I got myself a HDMI switch from newegg, and it works perfectly. I can now use a remote instead of unplugging them myself.

I could follow your guide up until the part with getting the RX 480 to work. It looks like the kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ is missing. I don't know why that is and searched for how to get it. Might have been a bad install of something if anyone could help that would be great!

Mobo: MSI B150 Gaming M3
CPU: i3 6100
GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4G
RAM: 2 x 8 GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS 2400 DDR4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back