Contribute
Register

[Guide] Airport - PCIe Half Mini v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks for the excellent Guide!

I was able to setup both wifi and BT with the toledaARPT.kext for a BCM943225HMB (bought from ebay.com, Chinese reseller, for less than USD 9) without any problems. :)

I've just put in an Azurewave AW-NB290 card and activated the wifi using the Toleda wifi kext for mavericks and it works but i'm getting poor speed and disconnects. Any ideas why? Signal is showing as full. if i boot to windows it seems fine.

Code:
PING 192.168.1.100 (192.168.1.100): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=26.908 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=3.410 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=3.603 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=29.819 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=101.821 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=53.623 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=46.845 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=11.775 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=68.213 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=12 ttl=64 time=19.772 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=13 ttl=64 time=53.701 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=14 ttl=64 time=1.545 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=15 ttl=64 time=58.893 ms

Hello crunchie,

Have you managed to find why do you get poor wifi speed with that card?

I'm asking the same question as Dave the Nerd. Stupidly didn't realize that wireless AC is a 5GHZ only deal, kind of makes this card a big waste of money in comparison to others.

Any guess on whether or not the 5GHZ issue will be resolved eventually, or are we stuck with that for good?

Otherwise, many thanks to Toleda and everyone else who's provided such great documentation on all of this, really appreciate it!

Hi,

My Asus K53sv has the BCM943225HMB Wireless 300M Wifi N 3.0 Bluetooth BT Card installed. The DSDT is patched and both my Wifi and bluetooth are working. That's the good part. The bad part is that when 2 bluetooth devices are connected the connection signal drops enormous. I have a Logitech bluetooth keyboard and apple trackpad. When they are both connected and when working with the trackpad, the keyboard disconnects. The signal drops to -80 -90. When connecting one device nothing happens and signal is -40 -50

Could somebody explain this problem?

I was wondering what is the best card for WiFi plus BT on the GA-Z87N-WIFI? I already have a a video card in my PCie slot.

Toleda,
Thanks for the great work.

I have the Azurewave AW-CE123H card installed.
I am using the BCM4352 and BCM4352bt kexts.
My WIFI works fine and BT turn on and shows active.
However, it will not connect to any BT devices, as a matter of fact it doesn't even "see" any BT devices.
I have a PC with BT running, my phone with BT on and a BT speaker all within close proximity and it doesn't see any of them.
Also, the phone and PC do not "see" the Mac either.

Did I miss a step or something in the setup?
Attached is what is listed in System Profiler.

EDIT:
Yes, I did miss something.
I downloaded the BT Firmware Updater kext as well and now things work just fine.

Attachments

• BTStatus.png
    BTStatus.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 558
I can not get the god damned thing to get an IP address!!! Drives me nuts!
Wifi worked under 10.8.2 - updated to 10.8.5 and no go.
TL-WDN4800, so it's AR9380,
shows up as pci168c, 30

Seems to be working just fine - but always "Self-Assigned IP". Immediately when I switch on wifi, it shows full wifi connecton on the menu, "no ip address" in Network Preferences and then within 10 seconds has the self-assigned IP.
I've deleted the wi-fi, any imaginable plist file, deleted and added Locations, mucked about with the MTU, disabled/enabled ipv6 and finally tried this DSDT patch (one warning, no errors). Still no go :banghead:

Toleda,
Thanks for the great work.

I have the Azurewave AW-CE123H card installed.
I am using the BCM4352 and BCM4352bt kexts.
My WIFI works fine and BT turn on and shows active.
However, it will not connect to any BT devices, as a matter of fact it doesn't even "see" any BT devices.
I have a PC with BT running, my phone with BT on and a BT speaker all within close proximity and it doesn't see any of them.
Also, the phone and PC do not "see" the Mac either.

Did I miss a step or something in the setup?
Attached is what is listed in System Profiler.

EDIT:
Yes, I did miss something.
I downloaded the BT Firmware Updater kext as well and now things work just fine.

Are your devices sucessfully pairing and staying connected to this ? I've tried with this several times with no luck.

Bluetooth was visible but wouldn't connect reliably.

Also, did you check waking from sleep using a bluetooth device ?

I was wondering what is the best card for WiFi plus BT on the GA-Z87N-WIFI? I already have a a video card in my PCie slot.

I built my mackintosh based on customac mini, using GA-H87N-WIFI, which is similar to your motherboard. My aim was to build a computer i could actually use everyday, i did not want to spend my time fixing the OS continuously. I am not very good at doing that. So every time i selected a solution that could work OOB.
After using unibeast and multi beast, everything was working ok, except BT, wifi, and IR receiver (i use xbmc all the time). Here is how i solved these problems. First remove the half mini wireless card that came with the motherboard.

For wifi, i used a broadcom module you can get from amazon or from ebay. It is the same vendor (jhe technology). I was convinced by the positive comments from buyers from amazon.com.
The problem is that the card is full size mini pcie card, my only pcie slot was used for a sata pcie controller card, so i had to buy this adapter in order to use the card on the mini-pcie slot of my motherboard (that can accommodate only half mini cards). I did this 2 days ago, and the wifi is working full speed (i have a genuine macbook pro i can compare with). It works OOB, airport extreme, airdrop, location services, everything works.

For BT, i used the DIY apple branded bluetooth module, which i bought on ebay. I did this some 2 months ago, and so far everything working flawlessly. Magic mouse and magic pad wake the computer from sleep. Don't be intimidated by the soldering part, initially i attached the diodes using fine copper wires, and later on had to borrow a soldering iron and learn on youtube how to use it.

For the IR receiver, i used an apple IR module i purchased 4$ from powerbookmedic.com, and it works very well, and is very sensitive.
Of course i had to spend extra 85$ to get everything working, but i think it is a good investment. I have a hackintosh that works even better than my macbook pro 2009 because it is faster. And it comes with the pride you feel from something you built yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back