Contribute
Register

[Guide] Airport - PCIe Half Mini v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know whether this is wise (I thought it worth a go), but I tried installing the 10.8.5 kexts IOBluetoothFamily and IO80211Family onto Mavericks, with toleda's bcm4352.kext (for BT), and this still did not work. (Same problem of BT icon looking good but connecting being poor).

I also tried using the BTFirmwareUpdater kext (with the same 10.8.5 other kexts, and removing bcm4532) and unsurprisingly this broke BT altogether.

I suspect you’ve already tried this, toleda, with similar results.

I also suspect those for whom BT works in Mavericks with the BCM4352, it only does so for those who did an in-place upgrade rather than fresh install.

nk this might fix the problem that I can't enable Internet Sharing and the problem of creating an ad hoc network ?
The wifi card must support the same region as your connected device (i.e., iPhone).

The wifi card must support the same region as your connected device (i.e., iPhone).

The problem is, if I try to create an ad hoc network it gives me an error, connection failed. The ad hoc network is not created, so no device can even see it.

I can see the following error message in wifi.log

Mon Nov 18 17:13:49.991 <kernel> osif_com_vap_event_handler vap delete event
Mon Nov 18 17:13:49.991 <kernel> deleteVap ****SYNC VAP DELETE SUCCESS
Mon Nov 18 17:13:50.001 <kernel> setCHANNEL set phy mode for mode 8 failed
Mon Nov 18 17:13:50.001 <kernel> setIBSS_MODE setting channel failed

So my question was, is this related to the wrong locale (APAC)?

Thanks

My 7 year old Macbook shows ETSI for Locale and Ad hoc works with Lion.

So I guess I will try to change the locale from APAC to ETSI on my hack. Will take me a while, because I don't have Windows installed natively and the hack is my server for everything (Internet / FW / Mail and so on)....

Mad Audi,

Could you please say exactly what you did in terms of the associated kexts history:

(a) did you use the 1.2 or other version of the firmware updater.
(b) did you bother with a kext edit
(c) most important, did you edit the IOBluetoothFamily kext, and was this vanilla?

I ask because I have EXACTLY the same card as you can cannot get it to work with BT.

PLEASE HELP!

Sorry for the late response.

I just installed OSX 10.8.5 and 10.9 on a ASRock Z87E-ITX which comes with the same Azure Wave AW-CE123H mini pcie card installed. The ASRock needs a UEFI patch to be able to run OSX. Will post a guide as soon as the rig is finished.

Here are the steps I used.

1) 10.8.5 Fresh install.
2) Download and update 10.8.5 supplemental update
3) Run latest MB with your needed settings.
4) Edit BT and WIfi kexts with your divide IDs as noted in this thread. (copy these kexts and keep a copy of the Vanila kexts)
5) Obtain 1.5 BT firmware uploader kext.
6) Use kext wizard to install all 3 new kexts.
6) Repair permission and rebuild cache.
BT and WIfi should work. (have not tested sleep yet)

1) 10.9 Fresh install.
2) Run latest MB with your needed settings.
3) Edit BT and WIfi kexts with your divide IDs as noted in this thread. (copy these kexts and keep a copy of the Vanila kexts)
4) Obtain 1.5 BT firmware uploader kext.
5) Use kext wizard to install all 3 new kexts.

Let me know how it turns out.

TRY 1 - FAILED: READ NEXT POST

Sorry for the late response.

I just installed OSX 10.8.5 and 10.9 on a ASRock Z87E-ITX which comes with the same Azure Wave AW-CE123H mini pcie card installed. The ASRock needs a UEFI patch to be able to run OSX. Will post a guide as soon as the rig is finished.

Here are the steps I used.

1) 10.8.5 Fresh install.
2) Download and update 10.8.5 supplemental update
3) Run latest MB with your needed settings.
4) Edit BT and WIfi kexts with your divide IDs as noted in this thread. (copy these kexts and keep a copy of the Vanila kexts)
5) Obtain 1.5 BT firmware uploader kext.
6) Use kext wizard to install all 3 new kexts.

1) 10.9 Fresh install.
2) Run latest MB with your needed settings.
3) Edit BT and WIfi kexts with your divide IDs as noted in this thread. (copy these kexts and keep a copy of the Vanila kexts)
4) Obtain 1.5 BT firmware uploader kext.
5) Use kext wizard to install all 3 new kexts.

Let me know how it turns out.

Hi, Mad Audi Scientist, thank you for being kind and entering the specifics of what you did and how it worked out.

I have tried with a fresh 10.9 install the steps shown on a 4540s with a PCIe card (seen as a USB device), more than once now.

With the BTFirmwareUploader kext, BT is broken altogeher.

Without the firmware uploader and with all the kext editing steps shown by toleda, I get the BT icon ready to pair, but nothing pairs.

Without the firmware uploader and with all the steps shown from OSXLattitude, including:

--- SNIP ---
Patch the "BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext"

For this, we need to inject our card's ids to the Apple Broadcom Bluetooth Kext "BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext" which is inside the plugins folder of "IOBluetoothFamily.kext" (in SLE) - we suggest that you copy it to /E/E first.

For this, edit the file "Info.plist" from "IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/" and include the code below to the section "IOKitPersonalities".

<key>Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3404</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>LMPLoggingEnabled</key>
<false/>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>13316</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>5075</integer>
</dict>

After editing, save the file and install the kext.
---SNIP ---

Notice the difference between the toleda BT kext edit and this one. Note also (as the above is a quote), the BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext of 10.8.4 is replaced by BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext in 10.8.5 and 10.9, but the personaility remains as Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3404. Finally, note there should no no spaces in tjhree of the items above (eg 3404), for some reason they cannot be edited out of this post (I've tried).

I did manage to pair my Magic Trackpad and a MS BT keyboard. Both were difficult to connect (several tries) but once connected, they withstood three reboots, and acted well.

I then did an acid test, going into HD recovery mode (which also looks for a BT mouse and keyboard), and the HD recovery mode did not find the BT devices (despite the edited IO80211Family and IOBluetoothFamily kexts) being in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9.

I then rebooted back to 10.9 proper, and the two devices were being shown as "Not Connected" and as importantly, they could not be connected.

So I am back where I started.

I have a BCM94352/AW-CE123H, same model I guess as the one that you have used.

I am beginnng to think this is related to the Mac model/SMBIOS that is being emulated.

Any thoughts, toleda?

TRY 2 - SUCCESS!!!

TRY 1 - FAILED: READ NEXT POST

Hi, Mad Audi Scientist, thank you for being kind and entering the specifics of what you did and how it worked out.

I have tried with a fresh 10.9 install the steps shown on a 4540s with a PCIe card (seen as a USB device), more than once now.

With the BTFirmwareUploader kext, BT is broken altogeher.

Without the firmware uploader and with all the kext editing steps shown by toleda, I get the BT icon ready to pair, but nothing pairs.

Without the firmware uploader and with all the steps shown from OSXLattitude, including:

--- SNIP ---
Patch the "BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext"

For this, we need to inject our card's ids to the Apple Broadcom Bluetooth Kext "BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext" which is inside the plugins folder of "IOBluetoothFamily.kext" (in SLE) - we suggest that you copy it to /E/E first.

For this, edit the file "Info.plist" from "IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/" and include the code below to the section "IOKitPersonalities".

<key>Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3404</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>LMPLoggingEnabled</key>
<false/>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>13316</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>5075</integer>
</dict>

After editing, save the file and install the kext.
---SNIP ---

Notice the difference between the toleda BT kext edit and this one. Note also (as the above is a quote), the BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext of 10.8.4 is replaced by BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext in 10.8.5 and 10.9, but the personaility remains as Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3404. Finally, note there should no no spaces in tjhree of the items above (eg 3404), for some reason they cannot be edited out of this post (I've tried).

I did manage to pair my Magic Trackpad and a MS BT keyboard. Both were difficult to connect (several tries) but once connected, they withstood three reboots, and acted well.

I then did an acid test, going into HD recovery mode (which also looks for a BT mouse and keyboard), and the HD recovery mode did not find the BT devices (despite the edited IO80211Family and IOBluetoothFamily kexts) being in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9.

I then rebooted back to 10.9 proper, and the two devices were being shown as "Not Connected" and as importantly, they could not be connected.

So I am back where I started.

I have a BCM94352/AW-CE123H, same model I guess as the one that you have used.

I am beginnng to think this is related to the Mac model/SMBIOS that is being emulated.

Any thoughts, toleda?

GREAT NEWS (FOR ME).

Doing EXACTLY what Mad Audi Scientist says does work, i.e.

1. Use the method described by Mad Audi Scientist.
1a. Use the toleda kext edits.
1b. Add the BTFirmwareUpdaterv1.5 from OSXLattitude.

All is very good.

BTW - the ONE change I made was to copy the files I had in my EFI partition to the folder [OSX Installed Partition]/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9.

QUESTION: Is this a "red herring" or have I been missing something all along.

In other words, what is the point of the EFI folder in the OSX partition (as opposed to the EFI in the EFI partition). Anyone know, and could this be the answer for UEFI installs? (Also, what is the point of the EFI folder in the [OSX Installed Partition] if it (as has been the case up to now) was simply a copy of the Clover installer from the initial install, which appears not to have been changed since).

Im glad it worked for you my man. I did not do anything special. Its about noting everything you do each step of the way and documenting your testing. The guys on this site are super smart and we can all learn a lot from them all. I for one have leaned a great deal and keep on growing. Thanks to everyone who contributes their time to make all this happen. Soon enough I will have a way to give back. Have a great weekend.

Hats off to Toleda for starting this thread.

One thing I do have to say that the BT acts way better with the antenna from the Z87E-ITX from ASRock. I have not received my other antennas or my AC router so I can't say anything new about the Wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back