Contribute
Register

[Guide] Airport - PCIe Half Mini v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RehabMan Really? No comment on the BCM94360HMB and why it doesn't seem to be discussed here despite the fact that it solves both 1300 AC and AirDrop BT, suffers from none of the "half-speed on wake" issues these other cards seem to, and is easily obtainable for cheap on eBay and even Amazon?

Many laptops cannot accommodate three antenna connections.

Many laptops cannot accommodate three antenna connections.

Didn't realize this discussion was focused on laptops - I'm using the BCM94360HMB with a desktop Gigabyte Mini-ITX motherboard.

As for laptops with only two antennas, the good news is the BCM94360HMB works fine with just two antennas connected to Main (J3) for WiFi and middle (J4) for BT:
BCM94360HMB.jpg

With nothing connected to the Aux (J5) connector, I still got 867Mbps 30ft away from my AEX. So it definitely works fine with just 2 antennas if that's all a laptop can accommodate, although I'm surprised folks crafty enough to put OS X on a laptop wouldn't consider fitting an extra antenna in there somewhere, even if only underneath the access panel for the RAM and WiFi card.

Didn't realize this discussion was focused on laptops

You asked me why I didn't comment, and since I only use WiFi on laptops, I commented regarding the only place I use WiFi. I don't use WiFi on desktops... desktops are stationary and easy to plug into Ethernet. No reason to go through the hassle of WiFi on a desktop.

As for laptops with only two antennas, the good news is the BCM94360HMB works fine with just two antennas connected to Main (J3) for WiFi and middle (J4) for BT:

Good to know -- I had always stayed away from this hardware because I figured there is some reason they put three antenna connectors.... I may try one and see what happens... Keep in mind many laptops also have restrictions on which WiFi cards can be used. Not sure if my Lenovo u430 will allow it, but I think my ProBook 4540s will.

although I'm surprised folks crafty enough to put OS X on a laptop wouldn't consider fitting an extra antenna in there somewhere, even if only underneath the access panel for the RAM and WiFi card.

Properly routing an antenna in the display bezel of a laptop involves taking a lot more stuff apart...

You asked me why I didn't comment, and since I only use WiFi on laptops, I commented regarding the only place I use WiFi. I don't use WiFi on desktops... desktops are stationary and easy to plug into Ethernet. No reason to go through the hassle of WiFi on a desktop.

Good to know -- I had always stayed away from this hardware because I figured there is some reason they put three antenna connectors.... I may try one and see what happens... Keep in mind many laptops also have restrictions on which WiFi cards can be used. Not sure if my Lenovo u430 will allow it, but I think my ProBook 4540s will.

Properly routing an antenna in the display bezel of a laptop involves taking a lot more stuff apart...

Lots of users need WiFi with a desktop. Not everyone has their home whole-house wired for Ethernet, even geeks. In our home for example we've got two such desktops, both Hackintoshes, one for my wife in her office and one for the kids in the living room. Both are on WiFi. Our server and my own desktop are plugged into the LAN but in the rest of the house it's all WiFi. FWIW I don't think I've ever visited a home where all desktops were plugged into a LAN. WiFi is still the most common network connection, even for the dwindling population of desktop users.

I would never recommend anyone routing an extra WiFi antenna behind the screen of a laptop. But WiFi and BT antenna placement isn't all or nothing - just the existence of a 3rd antenna plugged into the port, even if it's stuffed underneath the laptop in the RAM/WiFi card compartment, will pull in much more signal than no antenna at all.

Lots of users need WiFi with a desktop. Not everyone has their home whole-house wired for Ethernet, even geeks. In our home for example we've got two such desktops, both Hackintoshes, one for my wife in her office and one for the kids in the living room. Both are on WiFi. Our server and my own desktop are plugged into the LAN but in the rest of the house it's all WiFi. FWIW I don't think I've ever visited a home where all desktops were plugged into a LAN. WiFi is still the most common network connection, even for the dwindling population of desktop users.

I'm not debating the need that some users have for WiFi on a desktop. You addressed your question specifically to me, so I provided my opinion and my perspective.

I would never recommend anyone routing an extra WiFi antenna behind the screen of a laptop. But WiFi and BT antenna placement isn't all or nothing - just the existence of a 3rd antenna plugged into the port, even if it's stuffed underneath the laptop in the RAM/WiFi card compartment, will pull in much more signal than no antenna at all.

It is not that difficult, especially if you're already replacing the panel... :)

Assuming it is a laptop (profile is not filled out).

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

Strange enough! After one hibernation, the wifi is on at last , but cannot lock the network, the wifi is on and off all the time ,and connecting and disconnecting the network.

Strange enough! After one hibernation, the wifi is on at last , but cannot lock the network, the wifi is on and off all the time ,and connecting and disconnecting the network.

Not possible to diagnose problems without hardware details. Please read the post you quoted.

Didn't realize this discussion was focused on laptops.
This sticky thread was originally for Desktops because the thread is in a Desktop forum section. However, this wireless thread is an exception. But, stand alone laptop wireless threads need to started in the appropriate laptop forum section.

This sticky thread was originally for Desktops because the thread is in a Desktop forum section. However, this wireless thread is an exception. But, stand alone laptop wireless threads need to started in the appropriate laptop forum section.

@shaveblog has a desktop, but asked a question specifically regarding me and my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back