Contribute
Register

[Guide] Airport - Half Mini PCIe

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this time, I do not know of a single combo card that works in OS X. Atheros would be a good candidate but there is no Atheros bluetooth support. Broadcom would be a good candidate as there are both wifi and bluetooth drivers. Unfortunately, the current Wifi driver looks for the Apple subsystem-id. The technique to relabel the card to Apple does not work with the new firmware on the card. Regarding you Intel combo card, there is no Intel wifi or bluetooth support in OS X. The best answer at this time is the AR 9280 half mini PCIE card with a USB bluetooth dongle.

Really? OS X 10.8.2 About this Mac/System Report identifies the wi-fi card in my HP ProBook 4530s as an Atheros 9285 and the Bluetooth works. When I go to the Bluetooth section of System Report it does show the Bluetooth manufacturer as unknown. When I click the Blue Tooth icon on the menu bar, select 'Setup Bluetooth Device' and put my cell phone in discovery mode, it asks me if I want to pair with the Motorola phone and displays a pairing code (which shows up on my phone, too). I don't have any other BT devices like a keyboard to test, but it sees my phone. I thought it would be interesting to report this.

-bth

Really? OS X 10.8.2 About this Mac/System Report identifies the wi-fi card in my HP ProBook 4530s as an Atheros 9285 and the Bluetooth works. When I go to the Bluetooth section of System Report it does show the Bluetooth manufacturer as unknown.
Attach a copy of IOReg. [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg.

It works under Windows.

EDIT: Back in July, I made it work using a modified IO80211Family.kext. It worked on the first boot, but after reboot, it just killed all my USBs. It does the same now.

It works under Windows.

EDIT: Back in July, I made it work using a modified IO80211Family.kext. It worked on the first boot, but after reboot, it just killed all my USBs. It does the same now.
No explanation; IO80211Family.kext has nothing to do with USB.

I'm looking to build a mITX sized system and it only has one slot which I want to use for a Graphics Card. My build is basically Tony's CustoMac H77N-WIFI based one.

I wanted to ask: If I get an adaptor as mentioned in this thread:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Half-Mini...Computing_NetworkCards_RL&hash=item3a68c22373

Will I avoid the need to any adapters (will it just slot into the port on the mobo when I remove the supplied one)?

And should it work out of the box without kexts or similar?

I'm looking to do as simple build as possible as I've never done this before.

Thanks.

Edit: Hmmm I may have posted this in the wrong place - let me know if so.

Hey guys,
I'm back. Finally got my 9280 card working in the H77N-WIFI. Went to use it and found the throughput to be terrible. I'm not using any DSDT edits so maybe that's the problem. I put my old full height Broadcom card I mentioned earlier in and that's working as expected. Do I need the DSDT edit for the 9280 to load the right kext? I'm thinking yes but from what I read earlier, it should work out of box.

Hey guys,
I'm back. Finally got my 9280 card working in the H77N-WIFI. Went to use it and found the throughput to be terrible. I'm not using any DSDT edits so maybe that's the problem. I put my old full height Broadcom card I mentioned earlier in and that's working as expected. Do I need the DSDT edit for the 9280 to load the right kext? I'm thinking yes but from what I read earlier, it should work out of box.
Likely a reception/antenna problem. Reply with System Information/Network/Wi-Fi/
PHY Mide:
Channel:
Country Code:
Signal/Noise:
Transmit Rate:

Attach a copy of IOReg. [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back