Contribute
Register

[Guide] Aero 15X V8 (Mojave, Catalina)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for keeping it up guys, sorry if haven't answered you latelly.
Was pretty busy at work, and a few weeks ago I lost my job as a senior mobile developer on a company job cuts due to current covid situation. So things have been a bit tough lately.

Updated a few things on the repo, and wanted to ask you guys how are things going now with your installations?
Did update some kexts and did some cleanup.

Just a few notes on what I could read until now,
1- I just left the SSDT-Disable-DGPU.aml on the repo because it does "ACPI disable" the dGPU, this should save more battery life (compared to the -wegnoegpu boot flag). But as default this SSDT is disabled on the plist (Enabled = false) because it does affect connected external monitors (-wegnoegpu does affect it too, so I removed it).
2- Updated the PNLCFL to the newest one, recommended with WeG. I think that removing this SSDT does break the backlight control.
3- Currently working on a few post install extras for you guys. But I'll be making changes on my repo. This should clarify a bit more in regards of the USB-C hotplug and making the installation a bit more stable.

For now, I'm planning to now add OpenCanopy.efi/GUI with OC as this takes quite much space on the EFI folder and I have OSs that uses the EFI folder (Windows/Debian/MacOS/rEFInd). I do a few tests with Clover sometimes too.
I also feel like OpenCanopy.efi/GUI is kinda only for aesthetics (and it's pretty new on OC, things might change) and I do feel like using rEFInd should make it look good enough.

What do you guys think on adding OpenCanopy.efi/GUI? How are your guys installations?

Last edited:
Just to let you guys know, rEFInd is a boot picker. It does let you cheese what to boot (before OC)

615834439.820414.jpg

Also, found out that the legend @headkaze does have an Aero 15X like us! (wasn't sure if he was the same person on biosmod, haha)
@headkaze, do you mind sharing any config with us?

Just wanted to make my repo as good as possible:

Do have own, custom SSDT battery patch and a few things if you may want.
If you'd want we can discuss some findings in regards of this laptop too.

hi @zacmks, sorry to hear about your job situation. OpenCore is still abit buggy at the moment so I just opt to use Clover atm. Seems to be the most stable with me. I haven't tried the new OpenCore yet since I kept getting the battery bug when updating to OpenCore > 0.5.4

that is on my side.

hi @zacmks, sorry to hear about your job situation. OpenCore is still abit buggy at the moment so I just opt to use Clover atm. Seems to be the most stable with me. I haven't tried the new OpenCore yet since I kept getting the battery bug when updating to OpenCore > 0.5.4

that is on my side.

Ohhh, I see. In regards of the Battery I think that this might be related to EC/ECDV renames.
This was fixed when I updated to OC 0.59 when I migrated to Catalina.

It's here:
Changes are on `patches/SSDT-BATT.dsl`

Hi ,i am so sad to hear that,i hope you r happy everyday in the future.

(wasn't sure if he was the same person on biosmod, haha)
You caught me, yes that's me! lol

Just wanted to make my repo as good as possible:

Thanks for posting you helped us fix the final ACPI error in Windows due to the EC entry!

u mind sharing any config with us?

I do have an OpenCore config from Chris that I've been helping with. It dual boots with Windows and has the OpenCanopy GUI.

There are a couple of remaining issues with our config:
1. When you switch from Windows to macOS with a restart, then audio does not work until you fully turn off the laptop and boot it again
2. Smart Update and Smart Manager don't work booting from OC (error code 0x07B)

Does your config fix any of the above two issues? If not I'll post the config as-is otherwise I can merge your fixes first.

Thanks for posting you helped us fix the final ACPI error in Windows due to the EC entry!

Nice, happy to hear that it was helpful! :D

I do have an OpenCore config from Chris that I've been helping with. It dual boots with Windows and has the OpenCanopy GUI.

There are a couple of remaining issues with our config:
1. When you switch from Windows to macOS with a restart, then audio does not work until you fully turn off the laptop and boot it again
2. Smart Update and Smart Manager don't work booting from OC (error code 0x07B)

Does your config fix any of the above two issues? If not I'll post the config as-is otherwise I can merge your fixes first.

In regards of (1), I did experience this in the past, but not anymore. As far as I can see here sound is working 100% of the time on reboots and cold startups from all my OSs (Win/Debian/MacOS).

And as of (2), I think that this wouldn't work, as OC patches are applied for all OSs booted with it. Thus, the rename and ACPI patches (especialy the EC/ECDV ones) should be intefering with SmartManager/Updater finding the correct controller for the laptop.
Still on issue (2), I think that we can't fix this in a easy way as we use the rename patch on OC and OSI checks on SSDTs should not fix this in an easy way.

As an alternative to solve (2), I do use rEFInd (https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/) as a boot selector before OC (so OC can't interfere with ACPI changes on the system)

Do you guys have the laptop black (or flashing) screen issue sometimes on boot (with/without USB-C external monitor)?

JFYI MacOS 10.15.6 (19G73) is a safe update.
Just updated as we would normally with macOS Software Update, and it went well.

And as of (2), I think that this wouldn't work, as OC patches are applied for all OSs booted with it. Thus, the rename and ACPI patches (especialy the EC/ECDV ones) should be intefering with SmartManager/Updater finding the correct controller for the laptop.
Still on issue (2), I think that we can't fix this in a easy way as we use the rename patch on OC and OSI checks on SSDTs should not fix this in an easy way.

If you update to OC 0.5.9 you can block ACPI injection by setting UpdateSMBIOSMode to Custom

Read more about it @ https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-win-dual-boot-at-same-disk-with-opencore.295892/

Smart apps now run when launching into Windows from OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back