Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aero 15X V8
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
GTX 1070
Update:

Due to lack of time because of work and real life stuff, please note that the information on this post might be outdated (maybe even conflicting).
But I definitely will be updating the repository everytime that I do improvements (as always I've been doing). You can check all the changes on the commit history, and maybe you could ask for help on this thread so that someone can see and assist you with your issues.
You can post/mark me on this thread, but I can't guarantee that I will answer.
Finally, I'm still using this machine as my work + personal computer so I do plan to keep updating this with new feature and do improvements as it comes and/or with your help and suggestions.

-----

Hi all, I've managed to install Mojave on my Aero 15X V8 and I just want to share this guide with you (and if possible, get some help from you guys on things that are still not working). This should work for Mojave and Catalina (High Sierra was previously supported as well but I'm not using it anymore).

Previous deprecated High Sierra guide:
You can find some useful info there (esp. Nvidia Graphics), but I'm not supporting it anymore.

Please note that I made the Hackintosh DSDT patchLESS (yay!) to keep the system as clean as possible and as much as compatible with other systems (your fancy Aero 15X Laptop ;-)).
I wanted to do it as much as compatible with other Aero 15Xs as possible. Therefore, mostly you just need to copy and paste SSDT amls, tweak the configs, and install the kexts.

I will always try to make this very minimal, please let me know if there's anything that is unnecessary with my configs, kexts, DSDT/SSDT patches.
In addition, I will be doing minor tweaks (on the GitHub repository mostly, but will update here if needed).

I'll not add much installation information here, so I'll be sharing only quick summary and the repo that I created for us:
https://github.com/zacmks/Hackintosh-Aero-15X
Which contains:
  • Patches used (USB ports/PM/backlight/battery indicator, etc..)
  • Config (Intel/Nvidia)
  • Kexts
Even though I don't cover the installation part (there are a lot of resources in this forum already), you can use my files on the OpenCore EFI folder as a base.
If anyone find issues on what I've done, please correct me.

What's working
  • CPU/IGPU Power Management
  • Battery indicator
  • Touchpad
  • Ethernet card
  • WiFi + Bluetooth
  • Sound (internal speakers + mic jack on/off)
  • Intel graphics card
  • Built-in display backlight
  • All USB ports (2.0 + 3.0); USB PM
  • Card Reader (USB 3.0)
  • HD Camera (USB 2.0)
  • Keyboard (USB 2.0)
  • Bluetooth (Internal 2.0)
  • Shutdown/Sleep/Restart
  • Saving/Restoring screen brightness on reboot
Replaced parts:
  • Intel WiFi replaced with Broadcom BCM94352Z (However, Dell DW1830/BCM43602 seems to be a better option as it does not have the interruption freeze for Windows users)

Not working/Issues
  • Nvidia graphics card - As we don't have web drivers for Mojave/Catalina (does work on High Sierra oob)
  • Black screen on boot (stays dark for a few minutes, this is a known issue for Coffee Lake laptops)
  • Thunderbolt hot-plug (works with unlocked BIOS + SSDT)
Known issues

- Black screen on boot (stays dark for a few minutes):
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...utes-after-booting-coffeelake-uhd-630.261131/

1- Before we start/info/requirements
Please note that this will be a post-install thread for Mojave/Catalina, with Coffee Lake support.
For the base installation, you can use most of the installations guides on the internet (feel free to use my EFI folder setup, it does work well on most setups).

The idea of this post is to show what is needed to make each component to work. I will not give a very detailed step-by-step since we have plenty of info in our forum, but will show what guide to follow, a few which steps and some reasoning.

On clover setup, please use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to save your nvram. Also, install the clover rc scripts -> Not needed anymore because Native NVRAM support with SSDT-PMC.aml

Good-to-have-but-not-mandatory prerequisites:
- Knowledge on patching DSDT/SSDTs:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/
  • Knowledge using OpenCore, adding patches, etc
  • Knowledge using kernel extensions, kexts
  • Know how to use MaciASL
  • Dump your DSDT/SSDT (guide/link above), if you want to learn more about your computer

tl;dr:
  • It's good to know how to do DSDT/SSDT patches
  • It's good to know how to use MaciASL (at least for patches)
  • Replace your wifi card
  • Do you base installation then use the guide (efi folder from the repo should work)
2- Let's do it. Patching, hacking

CPU/IGPU Power Management:
Requirements:
  • SSDT patch needed
  • config.plist edit needed
How to make it work:

Since this laptop has a recent CPU and compatible macOS version, we can follow the section XCPM only of the following guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/
It's interesting to check the Disable Hibernation and Testing PM sections of this guide too

Summary:
- Add the following to your EFI/CLOVER/patched folder:
OR
- If you are using RehabMan's modified clover, just set PluginType=true on your config.plist (do not forget to disable other amls, PM patches)

Battery indicator:
Requirements:
  • DSDT patch needed
  • kext needed
  • MacIASL (there's already a patch for it)
How to make it work:

Use the following guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-patch-dsdt-for-working-battery-status.116102/
And use the "[bat] Gigabyte Aero 15W V8" patch from MacIASL in your DSDT (double-checked and 15W has the same sections/info to be changed as in 15X)
With your patched DSDT, use ACPIBatteryManager kext, from: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-acpi-battery-driver/downloads/

Summary:

• Patch your DSDT with "[bat] Gigabyte Aero 15W V8" on MacIASL
  • Add ACPIBatteryManager.kext, to your kext folder
NEW:
- For DSDT less configuration, I created a SSDT + clover config.plist to hotpatch the battery indicator (can check on my repo)
- Previous suggestions are still valid if you want to learn how it's done

Touchpad:
- I just use VoodooPS2Controller.kext from https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller/downloads/
Please let me know what we can improve from here (I'm rarelly using my touchpad), so I can update the guide

ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext IS the one that work best by now.

Ethernet:
- RealtekRTL8111.kext

USB ports, Camera, Keyboard, Bluetooth, Card Reader:
2 guides:
You can use my SSDT from here, too:
For USP power property injection, I tested a few values but and I haven't noticed much difference. You can see my SSDT-USBX.dsl or get the values from other Apple machines

WiFi + Bluetooth:
- Again, original Intel cards will not work, I replaced mine with a Broadcom's BCM94352Z

- Please use:

- Also, used Lilu (https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu) + AirportBrcmFixup (https://github.com/acidanthera/AirportBrcmFixup) + Fake id for wifi (example: https://github.com/zacmks/Hackintosh-Aero-15X/blob/master/10.14.6/EFI/CLOVER/config-intel.plist. Use the id from your vendor/device!)

Very useful info here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/

Sound:
Lilu + Whatevergreen from:
https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/
https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu
  • Patch change HDAS to HDEF
  • Devices/Property/PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)/layout-id = 3
Some info here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Intel graphics card:

Built-in display backlight:

ACPI disable DGPU:
Use the following:

If you want to enable Nvidia graphics card, you can add the option DisabledAML on clover, please see a diff on the following files:

Use the correct config.plist

How to help:

You can fork, create a PR on the following repo. Suggestions are appreciated:
https://github.com/zacmks/Hackintosh-Aero-15X

Please remember to keep the directory structure
Thanks!

Update history:
  • 16th Nov 2019: New Mojave forum post
  • 24th Jan 2020: Added notice at the top of this post
  • 12th Aug 2020: Release 2.3.0

1549838009861-png.386451

Todo, in future:
  • Anything on known issues sections, if doable
  • Suggestions are welcome
What will NOT be done:
  • Hibernate, please disable (sudo pmset hibernatemode 0)
Releases:

1.0.0 - Initial release (just a tag/checkpoint on what was done until this date)
1.1.0 - Added SSDT for working battery status indicator. DSDT patching is not needed anymore!!
1.1.1 - Minor kexts updates
2.0.0 - FakeSMC replaced with VirtualSMC, several kexts updates
2.0.1 - Kext updates
2.1.0 - Kext updates, added Catalina support, Updated WiFi/Bluetooth kexts
2.1.1 - Fixes processor PM
2.2.0 - Last Clover release
2.3.0 - Better touchpad support
2.3.1 - Kexts updates, OpenCore 0.6.1

Last edited:
Hello! Thanks for your files! Very interested in getting my Aero 15x V8 to boot on OSX. I can boot with Clover and your kexts, but I can't get Ethernet connection. When I launch Network Utility from the installer, I see Internal Ethernet en0, but it cannot negociate an IP. Oddly enough, I see some activity on my router associated to the port I am using when I unplug/replug, so it seems physically activated. I tried 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 of Realtek8111 kexts. They both give the same outcome. The trackpad doesn't work either on the installer. (Wifi either but I have the Intel controller, so I don't expect that to work).

Maybe I am stupid and I missed something basic... :/

Any ideas as to why that would happen?

More generally...

Aside from creating the APFS partition for the installer (and copying the OSX installer - Catalina in my case), the FAT32 for Clover files, copying your files to the Clover partition... Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Hello!

Can you tell me what you have done to create your USB key other than the official installer image and Clover with Zac's files in the Clover partition? Thanks!
you need to sort out your hardware profile

Hi @zacmks, I just have a quick question whether you're able to make it work when connecting from DP port to a monitor?

In addition to this question, I'm having weird problem logining into mojave. So for the first time I worked perfectly fine. HOwever, after reboot, after choosing mojave from opencore it flashed the apple logo for 1 second, then the screen went black. However, the backlight of the keyboard is still on and I can still type my password. After typing my password with the black screen, I can here the cling sound feedback from modifier key and after 5 minutes the screen came back. Tho it resets all my keyboard settings tho. I would very appreciate if you can help me with this. I have been dugging around with opencore for the last 3 days and couldn't found the problem.

Last edited:
Hi @zacmks, I just have a quick question whether you're able to make it work when connecting from DP port to a monitor?

In addition to this question, I'm having weird problem logining into mojave. So for the first time I worked perfectly fine. HOwever, after reboot, after choosing mojave from opencore it flashed the apple logo for 1 second, then the screen went black. However, the backlight of the keyboard is still on and I can still type my password. After typing my password with the black screen, I can here the cling sound feedback from modifier key and after 5 minutes the screen came back. Tho it resets all my keyboard settings tho. I would very appreciate if you can help me with this. I have been dugging around with opencore for the last 3 days and couldn't found the problem.

Heyy, sorry I don't have a mini DP port cable. If it works or not depends on which GPU it is internally wired to (Intel or Nvidia card).
As far as I can tell, the USB-C port (I use this setup, with USB-C-to-HDMI adapter) is wired to Intel and the HDMI port is wired to Nvidia (thus, it doesn't work on Mojave).

If it's wired to the Nvidia card it shouldn't work. There are a few ways to check it (but none that much practical that comes to my mind).

In regards of the black screen. It's a known bug, please see:

There are reports of a few people that got it working a bit better, but most of them haven't had the luck to have this problem 100% solved. I tweaked all suggested settings (and even more myself) but it just got a bit better for me as well.

If you find a way to solve it, please let me know. I'll really appreciate it. Thank you! o/

I met the same issues as yours. I think dp and hdmi port are all wired to Nvidia which we have nothing to do to make it work. But I solve the other issue that the dark booting thing. I make a simple change in the config file and test for a lot of times, it should have been solved. Here is what I did. I just enable the fixDisplay funciton. Hope this will help you with that as well.

I met the same issues as yours. I think dp and hdmi port are all wired to Nvidia which we have nothing to do to make it work. But I solve the other issue that the dark booting thing. I make a simple change in the config file and test for a lot of times, it should have been solved. Here is what I did. I just enable the fixDisplay funciton. Hope this will help you with that as well.

It's just the Clover's "ACPI -> DSDT -> Fixes -> FixDisplay" set to true?

If so it's a great find. I might switch back to Clover if it does work well. Thank you!

It's just the Clover's "ACPI -> DSDT -> Fixes -> FixDisplay" set to true?

If so it's a great find. I might switch back to Clover if it does work well. Thank you!
Yes. And I used the config-intel instead of the default one. If the problem happens again, try to disconnect some of the usb cables such as your mouse and keyboard.
By the way, is your touchpad working correctly? Mine works but not perfectly. OS can detect and recognize my touchpad, but does not support multi-finger moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back