Register

[Guide] Aero 15X V8 (Mojave, Catalina)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aero 15X V8
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
GTX 1070
@zacmks Any chance you still have the "(Section_PE32_image_AMITSE_AMITSE.zip" file for the bios unlock? Trying to get the thunderbolt working, following the guide but some of the links are dead.
Sorry, and thank you for point it. I fixed the links on README.
The guides are here:

BIOS unlock:

Motherboard
NUC7i7DNHE
CPU
i7-8650U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. iMac
hi @zacmks !

I had installed and used your release for my AERO 15X-v8 a long time ago. I unlocked my BIOS and all went well. Had used the macOS SSD (1TB Intel SSD) for months and then swapped back to using my Windows OS for games as I lost my job.

I was curious to apply your most recent release (and update my own kext for itlwm project and write actual map for the USBs/TB3)... But I cannot enter macOS...?

I get an error that the SSD boot volume is not secure...

I have 2 SSDs. One has macOS and one has Windows 10. For each installation, I physically removed the other disk to make sure each OS was physically blind to the other.

Historically when I would boot, I would just spam F12 for the BBS Popup and then enter into macOS.

I cannot recall, but is it safe to delete the secure boot variables at this point? Or will this break my Windows 10 install? (can you link to your guide for achieving macOS installation, as I do not recall if we ever had to delete/disable the secure boot)

Deleted the secure boot variables... Everything works fine.

New question: care to share your Karabiner setup? I am having trouble figuring out how to change the Aero's PauseBreak key (the key between F12 and Del). Currently it acts as is "brightness up" is being pressed... I'd like to get it to do anything else!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aero 15X V8
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
GTX 1070
hi @zacmks !

I had installed and used your release for my AERO 15X-v8 a long time ago. I unlocked my BIOS and all went well. Had used the macOS SSD (1TB Intel SSD) for months and then swapped back to using my Windows OS for games as I lost my job.

I was curious to apply your most recent release (and update my own kext for itlwm project and write actual map for the USBs/TB3)... But I cannot enter macOS...?

I get an error that the SSD boot volume is not secure...

I have 2 SSDs. One has macOS and one has Windows 10. For each installation, I physically removed the other disk to make sure each OS was physically blind to the other.

Historically when I would boot, I would just spam F12 for the BBS Popup and then enter into macOS.

I cannot recall, but is it safe to delete the secure boot variables at this point? Or will this break my Windows 10 install? (can you link to your guide for achieving macOS installation, as I do not recall if we ever had to delete/disable the secure boot)

Deleted the secure boot variables... Everything works fine.

New question: care to share your Karabiner setup? I am having trouble figuring out how to change the Aero's PauseBreak key (the key between F12 and Del). Currently it acts as is "brightness up" is being pressed... I'd like to get it to do anything else!

Nice to see that it worked for you.

In regards of karabiner, shouldn't you just remap the following keys to make it work?

From event-viewer:

type:down HID usage:7,71 name:{"key_code":"scroll_lock"} misc:
type:up HID usage:7,71 name:{"key_code":"scroll_lock"} misc:
type:down HID usage:7,72 name:{"key_code":"pause"} misc:
type:up HID usage:7,72 name:{"key_code":"pause"} misc:

Sure I can share my karabiner conf (attachment). But it's highly customized and I didn't actually remap these keys yet. But you can use it as an example.

*Note, you can't remap to the actual FN + F3/F4, on an easy way as I think they don't work without a custom USB kext (which I don't know how to develop =/). Even on Linux I had to write a custom kernel module to make it work.
For Linux, I don't have my drivers/module ready to be released yet, but there's this example:

Attachments

• karabiner.zip
    62.3 KB · Views: 11
Motherboard
NUC7i7DNHE
CPU
i7-8650U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. iMac
Thank you!

@zacmks while we are talking about keyboards... Have you ever noticed the keyboard input lagging while typing? The whole system does not hang, only the keyboard input. If I ramp up past 20WPM-30WPM the system input lags for the keyboard only... (and sometimes repeating a key like ... causes it to input an extra one or two)

It is pretty easy to replicate. Does this happen to you? (also: are you using the AirPortItlwm kext?)