Contribute
Register

[Guide] Aero 15X V8 (High Sierra + Nvidia Graphics, Mojave, Catalina)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering buying a 15X since Lenovo doesn't want to sell me a computer. I read that the Gigabyte BIOS is very limited – was it not a problem for hackintoshing? Did you install a different BIOS? Not sure how that works.

Did you travel back in time?

Yes, with the Aero 15x v8 you can't change much, compared to a regular mobo bios. But, as far as I'm concerned most of laptop bioses are locked. I had a Lenovo Y510p and you couldn't even swap the wifi card (not a problem that I faced with Aero 15x) and I had to use a custom bios, it had a great overall hackintosh compatibility tough. I don't usually tweak much the bios, so it was not a problem for me.

Thanks, fixed, it was last year's update

Reactions: tem
Thank you for sharing. I'm trying to make nvidia card to work on my thinkpad P71 laptop. It has a similar design where you can disable igpu in BIOS and all the external ports are connected directly to the Nvidia card. But I was not able to boot without nv_disable=1 VESA mode. I get stuck at IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0. My theory is Nvidia card fails to initialize before OS is loaded and as a result, I get stuck at the end of the loading interface. I tried many different methods but still can't figure out a way to fix it. I'm pretty desperate at this point, and I'm looking for any help I can get. I personally know quite a few users here are looking at the same problem. I would really appreciate it if you can give me some advice. I have attached my Clover and original SSDT.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 164
  • ACPI.zip
    65.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Appreciate your guide!! Just have a few questions:

1. Is there no way to do computations on the Nvidia GPU? I just Deep Learning so I just need to train and run A.I models on it, but it's kinda unhandy to need to plug it in a monitor for that.

2. I had the 17G2208 version but after the 2019 002 security upgrade it went to 17G6030 (I was expecting 17G3025). It seems to be doing fine on Coffee Lake but I'm just asking to make sure it's actually still the Macbook Pro version.

3. Even after using all your files do I still need to do the framebuffer stuff to make the iGPU work? It seems like I can only boot on my laptop display with injecting a fake iGPU ID (otherwise I get something like unsupported architecture)
Nvidia works fine but booting with Intel only it's glitchy and slow, but that's probably cause it's running without GPU..

4. Even when using Nvidia I still get that my touchpad mouse freezes shortly, I've read from you that this happens with USB devices but does that also happen with the touchpad?
It also double clicks sometimes.
I used another driver (download synaptic through the Lenovo site I think) for the touchpad so more gestures work, could it be possible to also use another driver on Mac that supports more gestures? (I would like to be able to click and right-click just by tapping the touchscreen)

Thanks once again you really saved me a lot of time!

Last edited:
Appreciate your guide!! Just have a few questions:

1. Is there no way to do computations on the Nvidia GPU? I just Deep Learning so I just need to train and run A.I models on it, but it's kinda unhandy to need to plug it in a monitor for that.

2. I had the 17G2208 version but after the 2019 002 security upgrade it went to 17G6030 (I was expecting 17G3025). It seems to be doing fine on Coffee Lake but I'm just asking to make sure it's actually still the Macbook Pro version.

3. Even after using all your files do I still need to do the framebuffer stuff to make the iGPU work? It seems like I can only boot on my laptop display with injecting a fake iGPU ID (otherwise I get something like unsupported architecture)
Nvidia works fine but booting with Intel only it's glitchy and slow, but that's probably cause it's running without GPU..

4. Even when using Nvidia I still get that my touchpad mouse freezes shortly, I've read from you that this happens with USB devices but does that also happen with the touchpad?
It also double clicks sometimes.
I used another driver (download synaptic through the Lenovo site I think) for the touchpad so more gestures work, could it be possible to also use another driver on Mac that supports more gestures? (I would like to be able to click and right-click just by tapping the touchscreen)

Thanks once again you really saved me a lot of time!

1. You mean stuff like cuda? I'm not on gpu programming but afaik yes. We use the approved Nvidia web driver

2. 17G6030 is a safe update. I don't think that all upcoming High Sierra versions will be. Just one note: Nvidia web drivers might take around 2 business days to be release for new versions
You can check the status at: https://gfe.nvidia.com/mac-update

3. Not sure if I did understand your question, but it is working good here no glitches other than the know 3 min black screen. The only change that I did were: `<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>` (and underlying sections. See config.plist) and Lilu.kext + Whatevergreen.kext

4. I'm not using much the touchpad, but yes USB still freezes occasionally. Especially because I use Karabiner-Elements
Under heavy CPU load it freezes more =/. So I suspect it could be frequency scaling issues, or thermal/PM issues.
By other driver, you mean windows driver? If so yes, I use the same, it's Windows 10 precision driver compliant :)

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. I'm trying to make nvidia card to work on my thinkpad P71 laptop. It has a similar design where you can disable igpu in BIOS and all the external ports are connected directly to the Nvidia card. But I was not able to boot without nv_disable=1 VESA mode. I get stuck at IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0. My theory is Nvidia card fails to initialize before OS is loaded and as a result, I get stuck at the end of the loading interface. I tried many different methods but still can't figure out a way to fix it. I'm pretty desperate at this point, and I'm looking for any help I can get. I personally know quite a few users here are looking at the same problem. I would really appreciate it if you can give me some advice. I have attached my Clover and original SSDT.

Your Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext seems old. It might be better to remove those and replace with:
Lilu.kext + Whatevergreen.kext

WhateverGreen has the NvidiaGraphicsFixup built-in now

Your Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext seems old. It might be better to remove those and replace with:
Lilu.kext + Whatevergreen.kext

WhateverGreen has the NvidiaGraphicsFixup built-in now

Thanks for replying, I managed to get my Nvidia GPU to wor. But the problem I'm having right now is that my brightness control is not working at all. I can't seem to make my display built-in. I'm on High Sierra 10.13.6. I heard brightness is broken since 10.13.3 and I'm not sure if there is anyway to solve this problem without going back to 10.13.3.

Thanks for replying, I managed to get my Nvidia GPU to wor. But the problem I'm having right now is that my brightness control is not working at all. I can't seem to make my display built-in. I'm on High Sierra 10.13.6. I heard brightness is broken since 10.13.3 and I'm not sure if there is anyway to solve this problem without going back to 10.13.3.

Not sure in regards of it, this is what I have in mine:
Guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ontrol-using-applebacklightfixup-kext.218222/
- USB patch might be needed (see next section)

In summary, I added updated Whatevergreen.kext + Whatevergreen.kext + AppleBacklightFixup.kext kexts. And SSDT-PNLF to CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. You can find the compiled SSDT-PNLF here:

Also, here's my config.plist, just for reference:

Mine is working ok

@zacmks Are you dual booting macOS and Windows or only running macOS?

Tri-booting. MacOS, Windows and Linux (Debian)

Oh yeah, I saw you mentioned it in the second post. That's awesome. Does your guide (this one) consider that aspect too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back