Contribute
Register

[Guide] Acer Swift 3 i5-8250U Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
macOS 10.13.4 High Sierra on Acer Swift 3 SF315-51-518S
Excellent guide. Very well written with good tips and links.
Good to see someone doing things from scratch especially DSDT.
Well done.

macOS 10.13.4 High Sierra on Acer Swift 3 SF315-51-518S

Swift-3_gallery_01.png
Hi there! I got my laptop 5 days ago (SF315-51-518S) and my first idea was to install macOS on it, so... That happened and now I wanna share things I did with tonymacx86!

Specs
  • CPU : Intel Core i5-8250U (Kabylake-R)
  • Graphics : Intel UHD 620
  • RAM : 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz (non-replaceable)
  • SSD : 256 GB Intel 600p series (SSDPEKKW256G7) (M.2 2280 NVMe, replaceable. PCIe x2 speeds (1500MBs\540MBs) )
  • Screen : 15-inch 1920 x 1080 IPS with glass
  • Ports : 1xUSB 3.1 Gen-1 Type-C, 2xUSB 3.0, 1xUSB 2.0, 1xHDMI (full-size), 1xAudio jack
  • Wifi/Bluetooth : Intel AC-7265, (M.2 NGFF)
  • Audio : ALC255 (ven id:10ec, dev id:0255)
  • SD Card Reader : Realtek USB2.0-CRW (ven id:0bda, dev id:0129)
  • Back-lit keyboard
  • I2C Trackpad + PS2 keyboard (why?)

What is working

• Graphics
    ntel UHD Graphics 620 1536 МB
  • Audio
    • Speakers, headphones and internal mic
  • SSD
    • 1540 MB/sec read, 530 MB/sec write in Blackmagic Disk Speed Test
  • Built-in Bluetooth
  • Back-lit keyboard
  • Trackpad
  • USB
  • Webcam
    • PhotoBooth works fine :D
  • Sleep/Wake
    • Lid also working
    • To my knowledge, no weird things after sleep/wake
      • If you disable the wifi with Acer's keyboard shortcut (Fn+F3) and go to sleep, wifi won't be able to be enable. You'll have to reboot the laptop.
  • At least 6 hours battery life
    • Tested with 10.13.4 (max brightness, 720p on safari, USB wifi dongle)

What is NOT working
  • Built-in Wifi
    • Must be replaced
  • Built-in SD card reader (I guess? Lot of guys said it's working, I didn't tried but that's would be nice)
  • Fingerprint is detected but it is useless, so I decided to disable that port (I got shitloads of BiometricKit errors)

What was not tested
  • Type-C
  • HDMI

What must be done
  • Replace Wi-Fi module
    • I ordered DW1560 which is based on Broadcom BCM94352Z, waiting...
  • Follow my guide

About this guide

I'm just sharing my success in hackintoshing this laptop, I seen many people just not buying latest model of this laptop because it just don't tested by anyone. Now I can say that it's working just fine and I'm glad that gamble paid off.

Also, my first language is Russian so I'm sorry if some things are not clear enough.

Updating BIOS to the latest version and BIOS configuration

Install latest BIOS with fixes for your laptop, it can be found in "Support" tab on official Acer website.

Once the update is done, go in your BIOS setup. For my model, I must presse F2 at boot. Press F9 to reset default settings. Enable "F12 Boot Menu" in Main tab. Set Supervisor Password in Security tab. Disable "Secure Boot" in Boot tab. Also, disable VT-d in BIOS settings. Save changes.

Create bootable USB

Next, you'll need to make a bootable USB drive with macOS installer. There are plenty of methods, the one of popular ones is UniBeast, but it required internet connection on install when I wasn't able to do something (I don't have compatible Wi-Fi card or RJ45 dongle atm). So, I decided to prepare Installer with "createinstallmedia" method. You may check it here, but in short, you need to format your flash drive to GUID partition table + JHFS+, download latest installer from Mac App Store and write your flash drive by that command
Code (Text):
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/*YOUR FLASH DRIVE NAME* --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

After that done, we will have to insert some important kexts in the flash drive's EFI partition in folder EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Add the following kexts:

Download other kexts, config.plist and other useful apps for post-install purposes

On your flash drive, create a folder named "Post-Install". In that folder, copy the following files and applications :

Clover kexts

Apps

Base config.plist
  • I downloaded one from RehabMan, this one. I also changed it, but we'll talk about it later.
Additional Clover files
  • You may need to download apfs.efi and HFSPlus.efi, it depends on your Clover installer. For being safe I recommend to search it and download latest files too, just in case.
Once all this is downloaded and copied to your flash drive, reboot the laptop.

Installation
  • You must press F12 for this Acer laptop at boot to select USB flash drive. I plugged the flash drive in the USB3 port.
  • I made a huge mistake - formatted my new partition in Disk Utility to APFS. Many of the forum threads saying that APFS + TRIM (which is mandatory for NVMe SSD and can't be turned off) may cause problems (and honestly there are some). If you're don't mind about APFS it's better to install 10.13 with JHFS+ drive. Guide can be found here
  • When the installation is over and the laptop reboots, it will probably give you an error at boot (Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed). Select OK and, again, boot on your USB flash drive. At Clover bootloader, choose to boot on your newly installed macOS drive. This step is normal because there is no Clover bootloader yet on your SSD. Keep in mind this step because if you have problems booting from your SSD in the future, this could be handy.

Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere and other useful configurations

• In Terminal, type the following :
    Code (Text):
    sudo spctl --master-disable
  • In Finder>Preferences>General>Select to show hard disks on the desktop
  • In System Preferences>User and groups
    • Click on the lock and type your password
    • Click on Login Options and select your user in Automatic login
It just speeds up the configuration. You can put it back as it was after this guide.

Clover EFI bootloader installation

Install Clover
  • Choose your High Sierra drive as destination
  • Select the following in the customize installation
    • Install for UEFI booting only
    • Install Clover in the ESP
    • Drivers64UEFI/AptioMemoryFix-64
  • Click Install

Copy files to EFI partition

After the Clover installation, a new volume named EFI will be on the desktop and in Finder. Copy the files and apps from your USB flash drive to the folowing locations :
  • In EFI Volume, EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
    • All kexts you downloaded.
  • In EFI Volume, EFI/CLOVER
    • Replace config.plist with the one on your USB flash drive.
  • In EFI volume, EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64UEFI
    • Look for apfs.efi, HFSPlus.efi. If there are no ones, copy it from your USB flash drive.

Configure config.plist in Clover Configurator
  • Copy Clover Configurator in Applications
  • Open EFI/CLOVER/config.plist (it should open in Clover Configurator)
    • Config your boot volume
  • You may delete all Nvidia-related patches from config.plist as I did, because I have only UHD 620. It needed by 51G model with MX150
  • Graphics
    • ig-platform-id = 0x19168086
  • KextsToPatch
    • Leave the basic ones patched on RehabMan's config
  • SMBIOS
    • I used MacBookPro14,1 SMBIOS
  • I additionally added "abm_firstpolldelay=6000" flag to boot options for ACPIBatteryManager, because it freezes sometimes on stock value. I can't be sure I did it right but after that my battery indicator works as it should. Don't enable if you're fine with stock one. Also I patched battery DSDT but it doesn't seem to help. I need advice on this one, so I'm waiting for your replies!
More information about settings in config.plist
Reboot the laptop. At Clover boot screen press F4. This will dump files in EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin.
  • Boot into macOS
  • Mount your EFI drive in Clover Configurator
  • Copy DSDT.aml and all SSDT*.aml from EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin to a new folder named DSDT on your desktop.
  • Copy MaciASL from your USB flash drive to Applications

The guide talks about duplicate SSDTs and comparing their size. I have two SSDTs with the same size but not the same content so there will be no problems later on.

• In Terminal:
    • Code:
      git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-iasl.git iasl.git
      • It should ask you to install git. Install git.
    • Code:
      git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-iasl.git iasl.git
      • Yes, you must do it again.
    • Code:
      cd iasl.git
    • Code:
      make
    • Code:
      sudo make install
    • Code:
      sudo cp /usr/bin/iasl /Applications/MaciASL.app/Contents/MacOS/iasl61
    • Code:
      cd *drag and drop your DSDT folder*
      • This will put you back to DSDT folder
    • Code:
      iasl -da -dl *.aml
You should have pretty much the same files as me if you have the same laptop.
  • For DSDT.dsl, wait for the file to load completely
    • Search and Replace all "GFX0" for "IGPU"
    • Search and Replace all "HDAS" for "HDEF"
    • Apply Brightness fix patch
    • Apply VoodooI2C GPIO Patch and Windows 10 Patch
    • Find your touchpad device (mine was TPL1), scroll to _INI section and replace
      Code:
      If (LEqual (SDM1, Zero))
                      {
                          SHPO (GPLI, One)
                      }
      to
      Code:
      SHPO (GPLI, One)
      I.e delete If condition so it would load in any case
    • Additionally I had to add
      Code:
      \_SB.PCI0.I2C1.TPL1._INI ()
      to _WAK method to make touchpad work after sleep
    • Compile and if no errors, save the file as AML file (replace if needed).
    • I also applied some generic patches like "HPET patch" they can't harm but I don't sure is it needed, so I applied it and it's just working fine, it's up to you.
  • For every other .dsl
    • Search and Replace all "GFX0" for "IGPU"
    • Compile and if no errors, save the file as AML file (replace if needed)
  • Copy ONLY EDITED (don't copy if you didn't replace anything) files from DSDT folder to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

Optimize
  • Kexts
    • In /ESP/EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other/VoodooPS2Controller/Contents/Plugins delete mouse and trackpad kexts, because it may interrupt VoodooI2C.
  • config.plist
    • You may delete all DSDT patches related to Nvidia, disable "nv_disable=1" and disable Nvidia injecting if your laptop have only Intel GPU.
    • You may change boot entries, timeout and add additional bootlegs if you want.

Reboot

In System Preferences, Display, you should now see the Brightness slider. You may remap brightness change to F10-F11 as did I, anyway you can't use stock brightness shortcut without Karabiner.

Fn Keyboard Shortcuts (same as on Windows)
  • F3 : Disconnect from your wireless network. Pressing it again won't connect you back. You'll have to manually reselect your wireless network.
  • F4 : Put laptop to sleep
  • F5 : Switch between displays (when you have another monitor)
  • F6 : Disable/Enable main display
  • F7 (and also PrtSc) : Disable/Enable trackpad
  • F9 : Disable/Enable keyboard's backlight
  • Up/Down: Volume
Messages and Facetime fix

The simplest guide I found was the one here : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/simple-imessage-guide-for-yosemite-and-el-capitan.186276/

P.S
  • If being honest I need some advices on USB - I did SSDT-UIAC.aml with that guide and deleted USBInjectAll (which is AFAIK wrong), but all USB works as it should and disabled ones are don't showing up so I'm fine with that. I am open to new advices and waiting for improvements\fixes!
  • I can be wrong! Maybe I forgot something writing the guide, maybe something is not right at all, please correct me if you found an error.
Credits:
Apple for macOS
Acer for laptop
RehabMan for great guides and useful files
alex.daoud for VoodooI2C kext and hints for making it work with the trackpad.
ioreknanou for making guide for older model, this one is edit of this

Other Useful Links

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312759-fix-macos-sierra-dp1-bcm94532z-wifi/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/

Will it be compatible with core i7 16GB version.
Can you tell me how is your experience with it??
Thanks

Bro, what if ill install MultiBeast after Macos. Will everything work correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro, what if ill install MultiBeast after Macos. Will everything work correctly?

The guide in post #1 does not use Multibeast.

Thanks for sharing! I am very interested in how you dealing with UHD620 because I have big problem with it (mentioned in this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ormation-for-dell-inspiron-7370.249149/page-3). Your attached EFI still uses ig-platform-id = 0x591b0000 instead of
Did you encounter any problem with this iGPU and how did you solve it? Could you provide detailed steps? Thanks!

Thanks for sharing! I am very interested in how you dealing with UHD620 because I have big problem with it (mentioned in this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ormation-for-dell-inspiron-7370.249149/page-3). Your attached EFI still uses ig-platform-id = 0x591b0000 instead of
Did you encounter any problem with this iGPU and how did you solve it? Could you provide detailed steps? Thanks!

0x19168086 is not a valid ig-platform-id.

I know but may be he or someone else tryed to do this. This method is kinda hard for me

You should follow the guide as written.

Hello and thanks for this guide!

I’m going to try with my TravelMate P2510 which is almost similar.

I don’t see Clover installation on the USB drive (create bootable usb). Is it missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back